• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 - mounting scope part way on handguard?

littlepod

Minuteman
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    I have an AR-15 and I used to use a ADM Recon mount where it'd extend the scope forward a few inches. I noticed that I was always a little low when having a proper cheek weld so I switched over and ordered the ADM Recon-SL mount which is .3 inches lower but no longer extends out. Now with a good cheek weld I see right directly out the center of my scope, but I have the mount the scope past the upper.

My handguard has a full top picatinny rail and I was wondering is it bad to have the scope mount half cover the upper and half onto the handguard? I read on some threads where having the scope on the handguard could affect your shot as the handguard heated up it could flex causing new torque onto the scope mount.

Thanks for any feedback.

It may affect your accuracy, it may not. I prefer to play it safe and not bridge the gap between my receiver and handguard.

I was thinking the same thing about playing it safe. I can't find any lower height mounts with the extension so it looks like if I want to just re-use my recon mount I'll need to find a better stock with a higher cheek piece or maybe try out http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s-sapr-stock-attachment-magpul-str-stock.html.

Though for that price, I should just find a new stock that also has a rail on the bottom for a mono pod.

I concur, and suggest that there must be a better solution out there somewhere.

My suggestion would be to move the scope mount back onto the flattop and increase the LOP in order to restore the proper eye relief.

Greg

A couple of reasons not to bridge the gap... Almost never are the rail section on the hand guard timed perfectly (rotation) with the one on the receiver... The mount could be distorted by the misalignment. Almost never are the slots on both receiver and hand guard timed correctly (front to back)... You may end up with only one slot preventing fore and aft movement under recoil.

Thanks for the feedback. I've spent the afternoon searching for different stocks. I wish I just stuck with my old CTR stock + riser instead of upgrading to the STR stock last year. Does anyone know of anything that would work with an STR stock. I need about .25-.3 inches of padding.

I have a free float forearm on my 300blackout and my scope is extended out. NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER. Thanks for the god a grip link.

DCP_0497.JPG

Last edited:
    You can get some poi wandering and weird fliers if you bridge the gap and put a heavy load on the bipod. Some people do it and never notice. It's simple not best practice, but it's not end of the world either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk