• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 Run and Gun / 3 Gun sight sugestions

theogre_52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
Eastern, Iowa
I have a 16" 223 flat top upper that I am going to be using strictly for 3 gun type shooting. I am having a hard time deciding between Iron Sights, scope, or Red dot. What would you suggest?

thanks

Re: AR-15 Run and Gun / 3 Gun sight sugestions

It's personal preference. Go try all of them and use the one that you like best and you preform the best with. They all have there pros and cons. As for which one you like that is for you to decide.

I really like to run a 1-4 optic with the Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights. The 45 degree offset allows you to use the irons by canting the rifle slightly. You could even use the irons for everything 100 yards and in, and go with a higher power variable for longer stuff. I guess it just depends on what comps you shoot, because a lot of local comps have a maximum range of 200 or so. The bigger comps have targets all the way out to 500+ yards on occasion. I am thinking about going with a higher power variable (3-9 or 2-7) on my setup because I almost never use 1x anymore. Everything 50 and closer I use the offsets, and they are way faster than a scope for me.

have read about the Dueck offset irons but no experience with them as yet---Aimpoint with co-witnessing irons or a or a 1X4
with an off-set mini red-dot work well---another option is the
Eotech with a swing-away mount 3X magnifier

If I were to have the choice of irons or a red-dot for 3 gun I would go with the irons, when you have targets of any distance the dot starts to suck. Its really hard to hit a 8 to 10" plate at 300 with a 4moa dot, and even with a 2moa dot I'd prefer irons. Another thing to consider is that the iron sight class is usually a smaller class, so you're competing with less people on the prize tabe (depending on how they run prizes)
Of course there are some outlaw 3-gun matches that are allowing dots in "iron sight" class, but you can't have any other sighting system like co-witnessing irons. With traditional irons you'll want to put a thin match style post to get the most out of it.
PT

I use a 1-4 Vortex Viper and its super fast for indexing to the next target. This will stick you in the scope tactical division, but more competition is better in my opinion.

Trijicon Tr24 with the German #4 dot and a 3-gun stuff scope lever. Done.

Vortex PST 1-4x works for me.
Fast on the close targets and can engage effectively out to 400 yards. If your 3-gun COF's don't go past 200 yards then Eotech or other 1X.

I use the burris XTR and it has been one hell of a scope fo 3-gun. Its not the only good scope for the use like the Vortex line is also good which was mentioned above. I tried them all out and still stuck with the XTR because of the reticle.

SWFA SS 1-4x been down every road imaginable.... I have always thought the Elcan Specter DR would be a cool 3 gun optic but it never seems to get solid praise.

The Meopta 1-4 gives you a variable power scope with a daylight visable red dot, so you get the best of both worlds. I have successfully engaged targets out to 500 yards in competition, but its gets challenging after 400 because you have little reference (there is a verticle line but it is not much use to me) in the reticle.

I do not know the seller, but this is a pretty good price for the glass.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2619164#Post2619164

I'm running an Trijicon AGOG TA01NSN-TRD. 4X32mm. It gives me 4X mag with a red dot for CQB. Not cheap but it is durable and spot on. I have the BDC reticle calibrated for .223 and it is a flawless optic and uber durable. Maintains zero very well. You do have a lot of great options mentioned, but I also have an aimpoint comp 3 ML, Burris XTR, and NF NXS for other applications(multiple ARs). For 3gun the Trijicon rules.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/timlemons64/ACOGTA01NSN-RMR.jpg

I ran an eotech for a couple of years shooting two gun matches, and then I tried a 3.5 ACOG for a few months. The last two years I've been running some HK Style Troys on my DPMS 3G1. I mounted the front sight on the gas block (extra sight radius), the rifle length gas system, and spikes Tungsten buffer make it easy to stay on target. I purchased a Burris Tac 30 a couple of months ago and at first it seemed like I was shooting slower at distance but the timer proved otherwise, even the splits and the close work was just as fast as my eotech times.

I will share some of the negative issues that I have encountered with the various sights that I have employed. The battery terminals on the eotech have broken (still works but the terminals are loose). The 3.5 ACOG works great, but slows you down when shooting in unconventional positions where you cannot shoot both eyes open such as the VTAC 9 Hole barricade or any slit in a barricade. Plus I felt like I really had to have a stable shooting platform (grip/stance) in order to manage the recoil/faster follow up shots with the fixed 3.5 magnification. Can’t complain about the iron sights, haven’t encountered any issues although I did install a tritium front sight just because I had one sitting in the safe. I haven’t shot enough matches with the Tac 30, but the first match that I ran both the iron gun and optic class I shaved my overall times with the optic by more than twenty seconds overall. The Tac 30 allowed me to experiment with a variable without breaking the bank.

For now I am going to stick primarily with the iron class, I figure if you can master irons it should only make you that much faster with a tradition red dot. Although those Troys cost all most as much as the Tac 30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trijicon Tr24 with the German #4 dot and a 3-gun stuff scope lever. Done. </div></div>

This..add the Dueck Defense offset irons and call it a day
smile.gif