• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes AR 15 scope

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
Well I just got an AR 15. I have long range rifles but I bought this AR 15 for more of an "assault" type weapon. It came with a flat top upper so I need to put some sights on it. I want to put on a scope that I can aim quickly with, mainly within 100 yards. Not for exact precision but for hitting a man sized target (torso size). I'm not looking for anything that I really can adjust in a 500 yard pin point shot, but I do want to be able to rapidly engage if the situation ever occured. What do you guys recommend? I'm also considering flip up sights but right now I'd like to get a quick aiming scope. Thanks.

Re: AR 15 scope

It all depends are how much you are willing to spend...

100-200 carry handle with a ncstar 4x scope

150-300 bushnell, ncstar, barska etc red dot sit no
magnification just a red dot (lower end of course)

450-1000 Aimpoint, eotech, tijicon
to be honest take it from a cheapskate trying to
cut corners. You wont be happy with a shitty scope
or lower end red dot. Trust me I know first hand.

Save up about 400ish bucks and buy a eotech holo-
graphic sight. Then if you want later on you can
invest about 500 and put a 3x magnification sight
to go exit with the holographic sight you already
have on. It looks pretty cool cause im sure that
will be your main concern hehe it was for me. Not
to mention its deadly accurate.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holographic-sight-557-w-3x-fts-magnifier-weapon-sight-system.html

under a grand, i have this exact one from this site and its pretty epic

I was thinking about those holographic sights, I don't really understand them though. Looks is kind of important but my main concern is function.

After watching your signature, my main concern now is finding my wife.

Ha yeah I saw that sig and forgot what the topic was...If the main concern is function, Aimpoint. I'm pretty partial to the T1.

Yup.

Aimpoint or EOtech for fast "point and shoot".

If you want to spend in the $18-2500 price range the Schmidt Bender short dot is wicked also. On 1.1x turn up the illumination and use it like a dot sight... need magnification then crank it up to 4x and out comes the CQB reticle with mil hash marks on a cross hair.

OR, you could go with a 2.5-10 power scope (like a nightforce) and run an Aimpoint T-1 on a offset larue tactical mount. Handy set up.

I got to keep it at or below $600, should have said that. I think I'll study up on those holographic sights today, since I don't really even know how they work. Sounds like the way to go.

For 100ys or less, Aimpoints are top notch and EoTech is right up there. I just bought a Aimpoint Comp M4 and I really like that there is no need to turn it off. It's always "ready".
I also prefer the 2MOA dot to the 4MOA.
Before that I had a Vortex Strikefire which I was very happy with. For around $150, they're a great option, but if You can swing it, I'd go for the Aimpoint now and you'll never have to upgrade.

I am a big fan of variables. On my tiny budget I just got a Leatherwood CMR and an ADM Recon X from Midway. It came to $450 shipped and I couldn't be happier! I wanted to upgrade from the reticle on the Millett DMS but I wound up with an great user friendly optic with very nice glass for the cash. I think the DMS is headed to "the box" or maybe just getting sold.

Added- Avoid all things NCStar like a hooker with an adams apple!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to keep it at or below $600, should have said that. I think I'll study up on those holographic sights today, since I don't really even know how they work. Sounds like the way to go. </div></div>

They're really easy to use. Turn on the optic until you can see the dot or circle/dot clearly but not so much that its distracting.

You shoulder your weapon, nose to charging handle, with BOTH EYES OPEN and focus on your TARGET. The dot will superimpose itself on the target even without really focusing through the optic itself.

Point and shoot, what you see is what you get.

Buy nice or buy twice. Eotechs work great when they work, but eventually they will not. My department has them on all issue rifles and has used just about every battery option over the years. They all eat batteries like crazy, and every time theres a range day or qualifications, there are a few that find their Eotechs just don't work.

I want something that works every time, and for me that's an Aimpoint. Search around for one of their new Patrol Rifle Optic packages. They sell for $405 shipped if you shop around, and that includes a 2moa dot and a QRP mount.

Just my .02

Saleen

All of my assault rifles have aimpoints on them. They are by far my favorite. Some of my friends on the team use eotechs but they have to keep extra batteries near by. My current favorite is the T-1. If you need to keep the price down, look at the ML2 or ML3. I think aimpoint just came out with a new one that's only about $400. I've never used it, but if it's anything like the ML2, ML3, or T1 which I have lots of time behind, it will be great for years to come.

If it's not strictly a CQB rifle, check out the T1 with the Larue flip magnifier. One of the handiest and best all around set ups I've ever used.

Another vote for Aimpoint. Very rugged and reliable. Eotech has fans, but they have a less than stellar reputation for reliability.

ETA: A rugged mount is required. I'm partial to LaRue, but there are other viable options now, including some of the included Aimpoint mounts. Avoid ARMS.

+1 for Aimpoint.

I had an Eotech 552 that I liked, but that was before I bought my first Aimpoint, a Comp M3. On the Eotech I would change batteries way too often, sometimes almost every week. And i did not leave it on while not using it.
The Aimpoint however, it's been on non-stop for over two years now. According to Aimpoint, it will run for over five years.
As for ruggedness and reliability, check out the Daniel Defense M4 torture test video found here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2597044&page=1 It has an Aimpoint on it, and just like the rifle it takes everything they can throw at it (or throw it out of).
Get an Aimpoint and do it right the first time. But I would also get a set of flip-ups just incase of EMP
wink.gif

ACOG 4X power or Aimpoint Micro. I have both and they are both great for what you're looking for. Runner

I really like Aimpoints, EOTechs, Elcans, and Trijcons. For more of a budget setup, I like the Vrotex package. See the video below around 8:21:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E8W5VPrSIWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

Just finished adding Leupold VX II 2-7 X 33 on my AR-15 and I think it might be ideally suited for the stated application. Also works well on Yotes at ranges of 150 to 200 yds. I think main selling point for me was to try and keep weight & profile to minimum.