• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR .308 build advice...

russellmn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2008
MN
www.appleseedinfo.org
Ok, I've been looking for an AR type .308 rifle for a while now. Have tried trading for one on here with no luck at all. So now I'm looking at just building one.

I found a local shop here, Branch Custom Weaponry, that builds billet uppers and lowers to take G3 mags (around $1/ea from numerous sources). I've seen his AR15 receivers and they are very high quality.

What I'm looking for, is advice on how to build these. My main shooting will be out to about 600m, though some work farther will happen. I don't use a bipod or any kind of rest/bag. And I'm thinking I want a 20" barrel.

Beyond that, I'm up for suggestion. Any thoughts? What barrel? What trigger? (thinking Geissele) etc...

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Re: AR .308 build advice...

Basically there are 3 types of large frame style platform: Armalite/Knights, DPMS, and RRA (not sure which the BCW fits, but likely one of the 3). This impacts which parts interchange internally as well as what magazines can be used. FWIW the DPMS style has the most parts available for a custom build and the 2nd most attainable mags (the RRA takes FAL mags). If you stick with .308 you will have the least problems with feeding, though you may sacrifice some with ballistics. Most of the components you can add like triggers and barrels are very subjective (opinions are like A-holes), but I have built both size platforms and have had great success with Krieger barrels and X-treme's trigger.

Well, I haven't had the chance to ask this yet, but I know his standard receivers are DPMS pattern. Like I stated in the OP, it takes HK G3/91 mags.

I am seriously considering the Krieger barrel and am looking at Geissele triggers. Just was wondering what the Hide has to say about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW the DPMS style has the most parts available for a custom build and the 2nd most attainable mags</div></div>
What's available for a DPMS that's not available for an Armalite, and how are DPMS mags "more attainable" than any others?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW the DPMS style has the most parts available for a custom build and the 2nd most attainable mags</div></div>
What's available for a DPMS that's not available for an Armalite, and how are DPMS mags "more attainable" than any others?
</div></div>
There is more but the main reason is simply the P-Mag. Why even think of building an Armalite when you could go with the better product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There is more but the main reason is simply the P-Mag. Why even think of building an Armalite when you could go with the better product. </div></div>

Because not all of us think the Magpul mags are "better" than the Armalite mags. If I wanted Magpul mags for my AR10 it would just take a couple minutes with a belt sander.

I'm not a fan of just buying a prebuilt rifle. I like custom built stuff that shoots. LMT doesn't, that I'm aware of, build something like what I want.

Stainless barrel, free float tube (NO DAMN QUAD RAILS!!!), no collapsable stock, I've done all that tacticool junk, don't need to do it ever again.

ETA: Just looked at LMTs site, do they know that not everyone wants that stupid, bulky, HEAVY, quad rail junk??? Pretty sure every rifle they had in the catalog was railed. I've got rails on my AR15, they're going away as soon as my JP VTAC tube comes in. Tired of the weight, bulk, and look. (though looks are the last thing on my mind with a black rifle, they're all ugly)

Because not all of us think the Magpul mags are "better" than the Armalite mags. If I wanted Magpul mags for my AR10 it would just take a couple minutes with a belt sander.[/quote]

Can anyone out there provide mi with a picture of a Pmag modified for an Armalite please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW the DPMS style has the most parts available for a custom build and the 2nd most attainable mags</div></div>
</div></div>
There is more but the main reason is simply the P-Mag. Why even think of building an Armalite when you could go with the better product. </div></div>This is a joke, right? <span style="font-style: italic">Better</span> than an Armalite? LOL...A PMag may be lighter, but is IMO no <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> than a Gen2 armalite mag. Rifle to rifle, dollar for dollar there isn't a <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> SA .308 'AR" style rifle than an Armalite. If there is, name it and tell me what's <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> about it.

I would Purchase a Noveske .308 (7.62 NATO) barrel @ rainier arms.

Most of the time they are in stock.

You might look at the Armalite AR10T series, the DPMS Panther, or the new Les Baer. Being an Armalite fan, of course I'd pick that, but those others are similar to what you're looking for, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russellmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a fan of just buying a prebuilt rifle. I like custom built stuff that shoots. LMT doesn't, that I'm aware of, build something like what I want.

Stainless barrel, free float tube (NO DAMN QUAD RAILS!!!), no collapsable stock, I've done all that tacticool junk, don't need to do it ever again.

ETA: Just looked at LMTs site, do they know that not everyone wants that stupid, bulky, HEAVY, quad rail junk??? Pretty sure every rifle they had in the catalog was railed. I've got rails on my AR15, they're going away as soon as my JP VTAC tube comes in. Tired of the weight, bulk, and look. (though looks are the last thing on my mind with a black rifle, they're all ugly) </div></div>

Here is the AR10 Build I did earlier this year.

http://www.8541tactical.com/precisionar10.php

AR10_5743.jpg

Russ,

Depends on budget. If you want something that shoots, get a tuned rifle from George at GAP or Mike Lau at TBA. If you are in a Hurry buy a LMT or KAC. If you want to build one yourself you can buy a preassembled upper and purchase the lower receiver of your choice. Say a Noveske 7.62 Upper and a Armalite or DPMS lower. You can install the trigger of your choice and gradually build if finances are a concern.

My .02 cents.

I was merely implying that Armalite mags are modified M1A mags and not as easily had as Knights/DPMS/C-products etc...

I did not realize that the original post said G3 mags or I would not have brought up RRA and the FAL mags, but they come pretty close to being a wash as far as availability and price.

Tried finding a BCG for and Armalite large platform? Not as easy as looking at DPMS direct or Midway or Fulton Armory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toolmakr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was merely implying that Armalite mags are modified M1A mags and not as easily had as Knights/DPMS/C-products etc...

I did not realize that the original post said G3 mags or I would not have brought up RRA and the FAL mags, but they come pretty close to being a wash as far as availability and price.

Tried finding a BCG for and Armalite large platform? Not as easy as looking at DPMS direct or Midway or Fulton Armory. </div></div>I really don't mean to be argumentative, but that's just another internet wive's tale about the mags. The Armalite Gen2 mags are a new, dedicated mag for the AR10, and took quite a bit of development and money to get as good as they are, and they are good. At one time during the Klintonov era, Armalite was selling modified M14 mags because they could do so legally. The AR10 mag is an outgrowth of the M14 mag, but what they sell isn't a modified mag of any kind. AFA availability, they're only a phone call or mouse click away...just like any other mag, and you can get them for 30.00 ea. if you buy 5.
Bolt carrier assys. come with complete uppers, which are available. I've never had to replace a carrier in an AR10. Bolt assemblies are available.