• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 308 muzzle devices

Montyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2020
I recently finished a large frame AR build in 308. I'm new to precision shooting, but have grown up shooting all my life. On my first outing with the rifle it functioned great with a bare muzzle. I did a rough zero at 50 yards to get it dialed onto the paper and got five rounds in less than an inch group.
Being happy with my results I stepped out to 100 yards and tried again. It grouped within a couple inches, which I blame more on my lack of steadiness than the rifle. I had bought an Ultradyne Apollo Max muzzle break for it and put it on once I felt like I had things dialed in. The rifle had felt pretty good without it but I had it so I wanted to use it. The muzzle break did as advertised and removed almost all felt recoil, and the compensator ports on top actually dropped my point of impact by about eight inches. It also kept the same grouping as I had been getting. My only major issue was the tremendous back blast. It felt like getting slapped in the face with each shot and blew dust and small gravel back at me as well. After just a few shots I decided it wasn't for me and took it off.
On a previous .223 build I had used a VG6 Gamma and really liked it. It had no noticeable blast backon the shooter and very little ground disturbance. Has anyone tried one of these on a .308? I'd rather not just keep buying break after break trying things out. Thanks

no experience with that brake but are you running your bipod really low, or does that thing just blow downward?
some folks use a small tarp under the barrel to keep the dirt from kicking up, and some shooting mats have a flap or extra piece for that.
not sure if that would actually solve the problem.

I did have my bipod pretty low and a tarp laid down, but it was enough to blow the tarp back onto me as well.

I did have my bipod pretty low and a tarp laid down, but it was enough to blow the tarp back onto me as well.
this guy did not report the same problems, but his brake looks different with smaller ports?

You should look at the Surefire Warden 7.62 if you are going to continue shooting low .
This one is for 5.56.
IMG_7306 copy.JPG
IMG_7307 copy.JPG
SureFire Warden Blast Diffuser Muzzle Device.png

I shoot on the ground a bunch. I got Area 419 Hellfire or APA Lil’ B. I don’t get dust blasted at me.

I have one of the jp enterprises large diameter brakes on an upper and it does a great job. Ive shot it on the ground, around cover, under vehicles, etc and has never caused me any issues with dust or dirt. It is pretty loud in confined areas but i think all brakes are.

this guy did not report the same problems, but his brake looks different with smaller ports?

I looked into the Apollo S but they didn't have it in 7.62.

I have one of the jp enterprises large diameter brakes on an upper and it does a great job. Ive shot it on the ground, around cover, under vehicles, etc and has never caused me any issues with dust or dirt. It is pretty loud in confined areas but i think all brakes are.
That's good to know. I had looked at them but didn't find a lot of reviews at the time.

I have .223, 6.5, and 7.62 versions of the Gamma....they all work great. No blast back to your face.

I recently finished a large frame AR build in 308. I'm new to precision shooting, but have grown up shooting all my life. On my first outing with the rifle it functioned great with a bare muzzle. I did a rough zero at 50 yards to get it dialed onto the paper and got five rounds in less than an inch group.
Being happy with my results I stepped out to 100 yards and tried again. It grouped within a couple inches, which I blame more on my lack of steadiness than the rifle. I had bought an Ultradyne Apollo Max muzzle break for it and put it on once I felt like I had things dialed in. The rifle had felt pretty good without it but I had it so I wanted to use it. The muzzle break did as advertised and removed almost all felt recoil, and the compensator ports on top actually dropped my point of impact by about eight inches. It also kept the same grouping as I had been getting. My only major issue was the tremendous back blast. It felt like getting slapped in the face with each shot and blew dust and small gravel back at me as well. After just a few shots I decided it wasn't for me and took it off.
On a previous .223 build I had used a VG6 Gamma and really liked it. It had no noticeable blast backon the shooter and very little ground disturbance. Has anyone tried one of these on a .308? I'd rather not just keep buying break after break trying things out. Thanks

I have a VG6 Gamma7.62 on a bolt gun. The ports are angled at 90° to the bore so I don't get blasted by gas. It's the only brake I've ever used so I don't know how it compares to others in recoil reduction, though I do know that it significantly toned down the recoil and muzzle rise on my rifle.

Reactions: Montyman
@Montyman FYI VG6 now has a self timing brake. It's a four port so it's a bit longer but it should be a lot easier to install rather than screwing with timing washers or separate jam nuts.

I ended up getting the VG6 Gamma. It shoots great. No blast back onto the shooter and even sitting next to the gun isn't that bad. It feels like it does a decent job at reducing recoil and groups about the same as a bare muzzle. So far I'm really happy with it.