• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 308 platforms

Re: AR 308 platforms

Forgot to add r.e. the LR308. I was shooting LC Match brass with Hornady 168's, ejected brass looked about like what I see from a bolt gun.

DPMS LR-308

I have been having a fit!
Trying to get mine to shoot a good hand load,,
I did everything I could, to get it to feed and not jamb up,

The end all solution was to reload using a Redding Small base die.
Trim the brass as usual and load it up..

Now the gun runs and shoots ok too. Sub Moa

Jim

I like the grip a bunch. A friend from another forum sent it to me when he went back to an M1A for his primary .308 battle rifle. As for the trigger, I have to admit I'm very impressed with the Armalite National Match trigger that came with it. My Bushmaster has a National Match trigger and after I got the AR-10T it spoiled me. It didn't take long before I purchased a Jard 2 lb single stage trigger for it. I like that trigger but see no reason to change the trigger on my AR-10. By the way I assume you live in Oklahoma. What part? I'm in the SW portion and haver 400 acres where I can shoot anything I want to. As for reloads, I'm not pushing the 168 gr A-Max bullet very hard. My Springfield scope has the recticles set up for a 168 gr bullet at 2550 FPS and while I could push them quite a bit faster I see no need to. Like I said before it will do the job at 8 and 9 hundred yards. With the lower loads the brass seems to be lasting a long time. Right now I've got enough brass that I'm not having to go through it over and over but I have tested 100 rounds and so far have gotten 5 loads without any of them having problems. I put a Bohica 50 BMG upper on the Bushmaster lower and I'm doing the same thing with it. I'm at 6 loads for the same 10 rounds and keep running a pointed L shaped wire in it to feel for a thin spot above the base. So far no problems. I keep checking them with the Lee trimmer and it's not trimming much of anything off. So a load of 2478 FPS with a 647 gr API bullet seems to not be stressing it. Anyway Okiefried, PM me if you want to get together and shoot sometime. I've got lots of Tennerite and ammo and my own place to shoot if your close enough to make it worth while.

RD, thanks very much for the offer but I'm in the exact oposite corner of the state. Kinda the same situation. About 500 acres of mostly creek bottom. 600yrd range now but gonna change around a bit when it warms up to stretch it out to 1K. With 44.6gr Varget and 178 Amax's if I remember right I was runnin close to 2700 but the loads been a little hot cause I'm gettin a bit of ejector swipe so I'm plannin on backin it down to the next accuracy noad to get rid of that. 4 loads on the Fed brass hasn't hurt it at all that I can tell, trimed some but was taking very little off if any. Good shooting and thanks again.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Durall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with Okiefried. Armalites AR-10T is a great rifle that shoots with authority and like he wrote runs like a sewing machine. Mine is the 1999 version and when I purchased the 2nd generation magazines and did have some problems with feeding. I called Armalite and they sent me new updated bolt stop and magazine release. with no charge and fast service. A great company that stands behind their product. I've got 400 acres in SW Oklahoma and when we decided to do some long range shooting the AR-10T with 168 gr A-Max bullets and Varget will break prairie dog sized rocks with authority at 800 yards. I've come to really enjoy this rifle.
ar10tnewgrip.jpg
</div></div>
Ron: What is that towards the end of the barrel? I see the lazer or light but what is the door knob thing on the end about 1" from the end?......Just curious..........SmokeRolls

Yep, it's a harmonic dampener. I really cannot say it works very well but I decided to leave it there. As for the laser I just tried it for giggles and took it off. It didn't do any good and it made me feel like a mall ninja idiot.

I've had my AR-10A4F for a little over a year. It like the build quality of the rifle and it's fit and finish. Mine has the 20" chrome line barrel. I found it shooting sub MOA, so I bought Armalite's new Aluminum FF tube to see what it will really do. I've really come to love those Lothar Walther barrels - all I have are shooters. All .308 AR's are heavy. Make them accucate and if you keep them light you will use and enjoy them more - MHO.

I just posted about the Bill Springfield trigger job on my AR-10. It gtg.