• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR 500

Genius.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2012
West Michigan
I found a place were I can get a few pieces of AR 500 for a real good deal. What will be my best way of cutting them down? I have a Plasma cutter and of course a torch.

Also, what thickness will be adequate for .223 and .308? 1/4", 3/8"?

Re: AR 500

3/8 Ought to do it.

What you're going to run into mostly is the high velocity .223 will put dimples in the face within say 100yd. At longer range you'll be fine.

3/8" is good as well as 1/2". Of the two options you mentioned, I would go with plasma if your machine will handle it. We use a waterjet for our stuff which is great if you have access to one.

+1 on water jet. The heat from torches makes the metal softer. You can see where we welded hangers on the back of our, pits develop there! But the rest will take a 50bmg at 100 without so much as a dent
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on water jet. The heat from torches makes the metal softer. You can see where we welded hangers on the back of our, pits develop there! But the rest will take a 50bmg at 100 without so much as a dent
smile.gif
</div></div>

A 50bmg at 10 yards with no dent?? I make dents in mine at 100 yds with my 223. Maybe I need to take a new look at my steel supplier.....

plasma works fine if you can cut fast! we have cut AR 400 and 500 with nooo problems... LOL 50bmg @ 10 yds goes right thru like butter!

Your steel is probably fine. AR500 can take a hit from a large slower round close up but a smaller faster round can damage it. Basically its the speed that kills the steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on water jet. The heat from torches makes the metal softer. You can see where we welded hangers on the back of our, pits develop there! But the rest will take a 50bmg at 100 without so much as a dent
smile.gif
</div></div>

A 50bmg at 10 yards with no dent?? I make dents in mine at 100 yds with my 223. Maybe I need to take a new look at my steel supplier..... </div></div>

I wouldn't recommend using anything smaller than 3/8" AR500, especially, if you plan on shooting at semi-close distances

The 3/8" AR500 plate will stop almost any rifle caliber if you swing it on chains or something. If the plate is mounted in a rigid stand, the stand will cause more energy to be absorbed into the plate and could damage it.

Plasma works fine to cut the 3/8" AR plate. You should use a cut speed similar to 7/16" mild steel as it will cut slower than normal 3/8" mild steel because it is harder. If you can submerge the bottom of the steel in an elevated water bath, the edge heating issue will be minimized.

If you decide to just go with 1/2" AR500, be ready for a long pierce time with a hand torch! Probably 2 seconds or more as it would be similar to cutting 3/4" MS.

3/8's will do just fine. You need to hang so it angles the bottom end about 15 to 20* rearward so the bullets are deflected into the ground. I would recommend old fire hose instead of chains, you won't shoot it in half. 55gr FMJ will eat up the best ar500 plate inside 400yds. That small bullet hauling ass just eats a dimple. I have shot up to a 338LM at 100 yds on my plates with only the paint knocked off. Never tried my 50 on the plates. Any soft match or hunting bullet has zero affect on the steel. Remember to keep the angle of the bottom directed to the rear so you deflect bullets and they don't come back to bite you!!