• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR barrel nut question

NEWTOLR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2012
ct.
My 2nd post on the hide. I'm on a roll. K, heres the question in my quest for more accuracy. I've put together more than a couple ARs over the years and to me, getting the gas tube to line up pretty much determines the torque. However, research says 72 ft-lbs of torque. Not absolutely sure that is the correct number, just to lazy to go find it and come back. There are times when I've had good line up for the tube and a snug fit, 72 ft-lbs? prob not but to go one more tooth I feel would do damage. What is the answer? crank away or maybe take that one tooth out and be precise about it. Thanks

Re: AR barrel nut question

I torque mine to 30lbs,check alignment and just move it to the next hole.
The specs as i know them are min 30 and to not exceed 80.
It is my understanding the variance is due to variations between barrel makers.
Also,are you taking into account the compound leverage of the torque wrench attached to the barrel nut wrench ?
RK

It should be more in the range of 30-35 pounds. Get to 30 and go tighter until the gas tube lines up.

On Yankee hill barrel nuts they recomend no more than 35 ft/lbs, if memory serves.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hearing crank it one more if is less than or near 30 ft-lbs. RockKrawler: thanks. Yes, I are an engineer, but sometimes my brain slips into neutral.

I have seen initial barrel nut torque values of both 31 & 35 lb/ft. The procedure taught at the last armorer school was:

o lightly coat threads on upper with high-temp grease (we used Super-Lube)
o torque to 35 lb/ft and loosen, two times.
o torque to 35 lb/ft and check tube hole alignment.
o if not aligned, continue tightening (not to exceed 80 lb/ft) to point of alignment.

Ensure you are using the correct upper fixtures to prevent damage to the upper.

Kevin

Brownells' says 35 then little more if tube doesn't line up...