• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Brass Catcher Recommendations

jladd

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2017
Illinois
I have a Rock River AR that I use in benchrest matches where I shoot only from a concrete bench, I am in need of a brass catcher for it. I tried one that snaps onto the picatinny rail however it doesn't do a very good job of catching the brass plus it pops off occasionally. I'm wondering if one of net types that sit on the bench would be the way to go versus the type that attach to the rifle? Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

There is a member that makes them and used to have them in the classifieds. His and several of the others that snap onto the P. rail don't fit very well on my small and large frame AR's mainly because my AR's have high X scopes and the "clips" don't fit under the tubes.
I have a bath size towel with a hole in it that I slip over the front of the scope and tuck the other end under the rest.

The TBR is the best option for any practical type matches. For static bench/prone use the net "bonnet" type from Caldwell and others work fine with a few cheap additions. They have a 1/4-20 threaded hole on the plate, make a 18-24" "base" out of a piece of 1x4 wood. For bench use a squeeze quick-clamp can secure it in place. Either of these helps prevent wind from moving it.

Will second TBR, buy once cry once (although I have bought several). Lew is a good dude too - one got broken, told him it was totally my fault & please fix it and bill me but it showed up repaired at no cost. Great CS

I used the cheap Cabellas one and it worked if you didn't do to much moving around, but I do agree the expensive one was worth it overall.

I use one of these on my night time hunting rifle. It gets banged around, etc and never had an issue with it. Super easy to dump because it works just like a magazine.

Reactions: cameronalbrecht
My only issue with the brass goat is that it can interfere with 30 round pmags. Steel and aluminum mags are fine, as are 10 round pmags. But, the base plate on the longer mags hit the hopper on the brass goat.

My only issue with the brass goat is that it can interfere with 30 round pmags. Steel and aluminum mags are fine, as are 10 round pmags. But, the base plate on the longer mags hit the hopper on the brass goat.

That’s interesting. I haven’t personally run into that issue. They are close together but don’t touch.

Pic for reference with a standard pmag:
IMG_0946.jpeg

Last edited: