• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Newbie - Best $1500 AR15?

Hey Guys,

I know I'm redirecting the thread some, but I'm in a similar boat. I want to build and AR15 for 3-gun / home defense / 1-300 yard target shooting, and would like some opinions. I already have the lower assembled, and am working on the upper now.

Rock River Arms just released their holiday special, and the deal is almost too good to pass up IMHO: Rock River Arms: Holiday Special! Delta CAR and Mid

The original plan I had was to do this:
14.5 Spikes Hammer Forged Bbl ($260, AR-15/M16 HAMMER FORGED CARBINE BARREL | Brownells)
BCM BCG and Receiver ($300, direct from BCM).
BCM Comp Mod 1 muzzle device ($90)
Gas block, gas tube, nut, etc. (~$100 combined)
I would probably worry about a good rail later and just get a cheap plastic one for now.
So all that adds to ~$200+ more than the RRA...

What do y'all think? I would prefer the faster twist and shorter barrel of the custom built upper as well as the higher quality, but I am not sure the cost can justify it for my purposes.

Last edited:
If you have 1500 to drop on an ar without optics I would search around your neck of the woods for a custom ar builder pay them a visit and if you get a good vibe from them see what they could get you into. I did this and found a company that uses LMT parts to build my AR. I have since upgraded to a troy rail and guissley (spelling) SSA trigger. Couldn't be happier! It runs like a champ! The reason having a builder close is nice is because you can bounce ideas off them. If not DD, Noveskey, Colt, LMT, are all good ones. I may be missing a few trier 1 makers so apologize for that.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

here is the end of your searching for under $1100... rock river ATH with the new upgraded handguard..... battle rifle or not, this thing is ultra light weight (with the new improved handguard as shown in my pic) kicks total ass for the money right out of the box and I would put it up against rifles damn near twice the price any day and I'm not one to BS people one bit. Also, if you want a 100% bench / prone precision AR, get a 20" varmint bull barrel.

rock river ATH:
IMG_7280_zpsa128bd15.jpg

600YARDS WITH THE ATH, 5SHOTS UNDER 3" (about .461moa with friggen 60grn vmax bullets):
275INCH_zpsefa4af69.jpg

300YARDS WITH THE ATH, 5SHOTS @ .933" (about .297moa with 60grn vmax):
IMG_7344_zps159d099e.jpg

At 100yards, 19 out of 20 5shot groups sub-moa, or 99 out of 100 rounds sub-moa, all shot in a row with different powder drop rates mind you:
IMG_7487_zps277b8bf2.jpg

At 100yards, 10shot group with the ATH:
IMG_8026_zpsc0ca0d0f.jpg

If this give you any doubts about rock river performance vs price, then you are kidding yourself. I've owned 7 rock river arms AR's now and they have all performed 100% with no FTF or FTE. They are just awesome. Rock river ATH 18" barrel or Varmint in a 20" barrel. You can't go wrong with either one.

Not going to post all of my varmint pics... the varmint bull barrel RRA is right in line if not slightly better groups than the ATH, but the rifle is much more heavy (is used for 100% bench / prone varmint shooting is awesome). Matter of fact, the best single 5shot group ive ever produced was with a varmint rock river arms bull barrel:
IMG_6087_zpsa05bebf8.jpg

I'm not saying to make your purchase here, but to only give you an idea... do your own homework!

Rock river ATH with the new handguard:
Rock River Arms Advanced Tactical Hunter AR 1560 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

new 20" varmint bull barrel with the new TRO (top rail octagonal handguard)!:
Rock River Arms 20 inch SS Varmint A4 New : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
the A2 buttstock might be basic as all hell, but it's great for a rear sand bag for the first timer;
rifle_zpsa93cce10.jpg

I second this, I also shoot a RRA and it is a frickin hammer for what you pay. I have never had an issue with it either. Great guns