• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Pistol Build

Cherodjr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2020
Ok, I admit it, I'm a 70 year old "kid" when it comes to firearms! I love to plan the next projects. While I'm a few months from purchasing, I'm ready to start my research. I want to build or purchase a high quality AR pistol. It will be left to my grandson, who will own it a lot longer than me, Lord willing!
I want it to be a when the SHTF weapon to carry in my truck and plinking. My budget will be around $2,500.
For now, I'm thinking 223 Wylde, billet receivers, and a stainless steel 10 - 12" barrel with a heavy as practical profile.
I'm happy to consider all Hide Sponsors.
I appreciate your thoughts.

If your looking to purchase cant go wrong with JP Enterprise

I have a Seekins 8" I had built in .300 blk (similiar to the link) and a 16" in .223 Wylde. Very accurate and well made. Excellent customer service. An FFL can register with the and get 10 or 20% off the parts fairly easily buy using the contact link on their website. Both barrels are coated but they offer SS bead blasted, fluted or non-fluted.

Reactions: Strangedays
I have a Seekins 8" I had built in .300 blk (similiar to the link) and a 16" in .223 Wylde. Very accurate and well made. Excellent customer service. An FFL can register with the and get 10 or 20% off the parts fairly easily buy using the contact link on their website. Both barrels are coated but they offer SS bead blasted, fluted or non-fluted.

Thanks

Reactions: Strangedays
I never understood why you wouldn't add the extra inch for max velocity (I know not a huge difference) but Dd did the same thing with their pdw .300 blk

I never understood why you wouldn't add the extra inch for max velocity (I know not a huge difference) but Dd did the same thing with their pdw .300 blk
Maybe because subsonic is rate limited and that’s what the gun is designed for but not positive that was their intention. I suspect was though. Certainly was mine.

@Cherodjr - If your looking to build your own I get it & have.

If your looking to buy here is another one to consider.
10.5" heavy hammer forged 1:7 polly barrel, full ambi controls, mono forge upper, keyless bolt carrier etc.

This is well under your budget, leaving room for optic, back up irons, & I'd probly change out the brace to a Maxum defence CQB
https://www.rainierarms.com/lwrci-5-56-nato-ic-di-pistol-w-sba3-brace-10-5/

For SHTF, I'd be going with chrome lined, and if I could get it, CHF. For a pistol build I'm not sure you need 223 wylde.

That said, this is your $, so get what makes you happy.

For SHTF, I'd be going with chrome lined, and if I could get it, CHF. For a pistol build I'm not sure you need 223 wylde.

That said, this is your $, so get what makes you happy.
Thanks for your thoughts. Not everyone likes poke-a-dot drawers!

Reactions: JS8588
87A705FF-214E-4772-812D-A49EA67671C4.jpeg

Build your own. Then you can select whatever you want on it.

Some options if building. I would go with a SS match, 11.5-12.5 if 5.56. Do a mini match pistol in 5.56, scope it and have fun while you can. If just wanting the chromed barrel, yes the LMT is a great option and he can always change the barrel, add the stock and have a nice carbine/rifle-like LMT's 16" 5R barrel. In 5 minutes, you can have a pistol or an accurate carbine.

I like high end firearms like anyone and have a few and have had a few high end ARs. That said when I moved to NC I started playing with some cheaper options to see how they stacked up. Honestly for an AR pistol I wouldn't consider spending near $2500. We all like to have the SHTF fantasy about Russians attacking Red Dawn style or world coming to the end and zombies running up to the gates scenarios but in reality unless you have money to burn an AR pistol is more of a fun gun to blast and have bouncing around in the truck. You can probably spend $600-700 on a PSA pistol and I bet you will be happy but the $925 Seekins SP15 P would be a solid choice and something to hand down to kids. Not sure I would spend much more on an AR pistol. Like an AR also you can modify them to how you like for feel and looks easily at home. You could use the extra money on other uppers to pop on and have fun. Can never have too many caliber options when the SHTF.

I actually went down the cheapo rabbit hole and bought a BCA 10.5" 300BO upper on sale for $193 delivered. Used a $29 PSA stripped lower and built it with a SBA3 lower kit for $149. You know what? Thing is reliable and reasonably accurate at 100. Right in 1.5 MOA and with a pistol that's more than good enough for me. That's a headshot on one of those zombies. ;)

Building is a good option too if your grandson is old enough to get in on it. Order the parts and the small amount of tools and put it together with him

If you want to buy high end for a legacy build/buy there are plenty of good ones like the Seekins and others and you will be happy. I have had a Seekins AR for 7 years and it runs great and great craftsmanship. Definitely one I will always keep and could be handed down. But I just wanted to throw out some info that depending on how much you plan to shoot it and really want to spend there are other options. You could buy a Seekins SP15 P for you and your grandson and be under $2500. ;)

FullSizeRender(12).jpg

I like high end firearms like anyone and have a few and have had a few high end ARs. That said when I moved to NC I started playing with some cheaper options to see how they stacked up. Honestly for an AR pistol I wouldn't consider spending near $2500. We all like to have the SHTF fantasy about Russians attacking Red Dawn style or world coming to the end and zombies running up to the gates scenarios but in reality unless you have money to burn an AR pistol is more of a fun gun to blast and have bouncing around in the truck. You can probably spend $600-700 on a PSA pistol and I bet you will be happy but the $925 Seekins SP15 P would be a solid choice and something to hand down to kids. Not sure I would spend much more on an AR pistol. Like an AR also you can modify them to how you like for feel and looks easily at home. You could use the extra money on other uppers to pop on and have fun. Can never have too many caliber options when the SHTF.

I actually went down the cheapo rabbit hole and bought a BCA 10.5" 300BO upper on sale for $193 delivered. Used a $29 PSA stripped lower and built it with a SBA3 lower kit for $149. You know what? Thing is reliable and reasonably accurate at 100. Right in 1.5 MOA and with a pistol that's more than good enough for me. That's a headshot on one of those zombies. ;)

Building is a good option too if your grandson is old enough to get in on it. Order the parts and the small amount of tools and put it together with him

If you want to buy high end for a legacy build/buy there are plenty of good ones like the Seekins and others and you will be happy. I have had a Seekins AR for 7 years and it runs great and great craftsmanship. Definitely one I will always keep and could be handed down. But I just wanted to throw out some info that depending on how much you plan to shoot it and really want to spend there are other options. You could buy a Seekins SP15 P for you and your grandson and be under $2500. ;)

View attachment 7337107
Thanks, I can't disagree with your logic. At 70, my only vice is firearms. Father Time took my others away!

Reactions: Rob01

View attachment 7337107
Good Looking Weapon, thanks for the picture!

Why should it cost less because it's a "pistol" instead of an "SBR"? 10.5"-11.5" AR's are the most practical all around guns IMO. They're still very short and handy even with a can for moving around inside of a house or vehicles but with 77's and some dirty kentucky windage holds are very effective on man sized targets to 500 yards, and can be very precise dialing.

The pistol also has an advantage of falling under most states CCW laws so you can have one in your vehicle or in a bag wherever ready to go that would be a no-no with a rifle.

I'm far more likely to use my "pistol" in a situation where my life counts on it so no way would I skimp on quality because "it's just a pistol".

Did I say skimp in quality? Nope. Price does not always equal quality. I also didn’t bring up SBRs but since you did I would feel the same way about them as what I posted. And I shoot my pistols too but the meaning was that the more expensive rifles are that way due to wanting accuracy at longer ranges and with a shorter barreled pistol the same amount of accuracy and cost aren’t needed to get a reliable and accurate for the system pistol.

My inside the house gun is a 8.5” 300BO with a can on it. It’s a PSA. Reliable and accurate but also not $2500. ;)

Am I correct in thinking with a complete upper and lower, all remaining parts are bolt, charging handle and trigger?

Depends. Some complete uppers come with bolt carrier group and charging handle and same for complete lowers. That said some like to change or modify triggers for their wants and needs. Same for the charging handle as some like larger ones or ambi models.

Am I correct in thinking with a complete upper and lower, all remaining parts are bolt, charging handle and trigger?
What Rob01 said.
Also, I feel brace/stock, trigger, charging handle, grip, ambidextrous controls and optics obviously are very personal items that I want in particular brands because I’m familiar with them and like them. You’re hands on with these parts.

Depends. Some complete uppers come with bolt carrier group and charging handle and same for complete lowers. That said some like to change or modify triggers for their wants and needs. Same for the charging handle as some like larger ones or ambi models.
Thanks

So you're saying a $600-$700 PSA or other bargain bin build is on par with $2K+ LMT or KAC?

On par as fit and finish? Nope. Those rifles and other high end have great fit and finish as they should for the price. On par as far as reliability and accuracy? Possibly. Might need a tweak here and there but they will run and be accurate for a pistol. Usually if accuracy isn't there you can spend $100-150 on a new barrel and will still be under $1k. Hell you can get a new BCG and still be under. Receivers both upper and lower are very rarely and issue in an AR15 and the whole billet vs forged has been beat to death and found both work fine. So comes down to fit and finish and barrel.

Can't run around and brag on the internet what pistol you have but that's ok with me as long as it works. ;)

Reactions: MarinePMI
With a $2500 budget, I'd be inclined to splurge on something like a Q Honey Badger.

Or just build what you want and probably have a lot of money left over:

IMG_20200526_140703.jpg

Ok, I admit it, I'm a 70 year old "kid" when it comes to firearms! I love to plan the next projects. While I'm a few months from purchasing, I'm ready to start my research. I want to build or purchase a high quality AR pistol. It will be left to my grandson, who will own it a lot longer than me, Lord willing!
I want it to be a when the SHTF weapon to carry in my truck and plinking. My budget will be around $2,500.
For now, I'm thinking 223 Wylde, billet receivers, and a stainless steel 10 - 12" barrel with a heavy as practical profile.
I'm happy to consider all Hide Sponsors.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Well, if you enjoy planning and executing a project down to the very last component, and decide not to go cheap, maybe I can work on some ideas with you.

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG_8589.jpeg

IMG_8441.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8679.jpeg

Well, if you enjoy planning and executing a project down to the very last component, and decide not to go cheap, maybe I can work on some ideas with you.

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG_8589.jpeg

IMG_8441.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8679.jpeg
Thanks, It will be a while. I'm sorry I don't know who you are with.

While reading today, I discovered Radian's formally AXTS. A little pricey, but the few reviews I found were good. Do any of you have knowledge (good or bad) of this company?

Ouch. $2550? Only thing you get over the Seekins is a color and a nicer trigger. For $600 you could do both to the Seekins and have $1000 left in your pocket for ammo.

Ouch. $2550? Only thing you get over the Seekins is a color and a nicer trigger. For $600 you could do both to the Seekins and have $1000 left in your pocket for ammo.
Thanks, I think so too!

Thanks for all your input. If I were to buy today, which I can't, the Seekins CQ PDW checks all my boxes. This rifle would allow me to purchase a co-witness set up and stay in my budget, kinda. I see in some of your pictures that you are running these. Any suggestions for back ups and optics? Thanks

Thanks for all your input. If I were to buy today, which I can't, the Seekins CQ PDW checks all my boxes. This rifle would allow me to purchase a co-witness set up and stay in my budget, kinda. I see in some of your pictures that you are running these. Any suggestions for back ups and optics? Thanks
I pulled the trigger on this one yesterday! Now an 8 week wait! Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Rob01
I'm a big fan of 9mm AR's for fun at the range and 300 BLK for hunting / short range work. The 223 shorties are cool and all but 9mm is cheaper for practice and there's gun games I can play with them in USPSA etc. I get that people want to go the 223 route though for rifle ammo availability and a bit more distance.

9mm JP GMR-15 on the left with an Omega 9K
300 BLK JPish on the right with a Sandman K

GMR15.jpgA_Pistol.jpg

I'm a big fan of 9mm AR's for fun at the range and 300 BLK for hunting / short range work. The 223 shorties are cool and all but 9mm is cheaper for practice and there's gun games I can play with them in USPSA etc. I get that people want to go the 223 route though for rifle ammo availability and a bit more distance.

9mm JP GMR-15 on the left with an Omega 9K
300 BLK JPish on the right with a Sandman K

View attachment 7358595View attachment 7358597
Nice Weapons!

Reactions: Darqusoull13
I pulled the trigger on this one yesterday! Now an 8 week wait! Thanks for the help!
Hopefully you were able to use a 25% off Seekins certificate. If not, cancel the order and find one on here to use. A lot expire 7/1/20 so people are parting with them. You won't be disappointed with Seekins. It seems the CQ PDW will have to be registered as an SBR. Are you buying it built or in parts where you can register it as a pistol? Also, you can add a 300 blk upper to this down the road if you want or as budget affords.

9" gets you max velocity but as another user suggested it probably doesn't matter as 300 blackout shines when used as a subsonic.

What shines about shooting subsonic 300blk?? Nothing in all my testing...300blk subsonic carries knock down power of a 45acp.... 300blk subsonic is a fun gun....if I'm running a rifle for any real purpose I want rifle velocities and power. The ONLY thing 300blk subs have is they are very quite...thats about it

Now 300blk supers shooting Sierra 125 TMK's at 2150 out of my 10" 300blk expand like crazy, and are extremely accurate...going 10/10 on steel at 200, 300, 400 and 500yd with a Leupold MR/T 1.5-5....been running them for years in mine...this is also what Black Hills uses in their 300blk defensive ammo...

What shines about shooting subsonic 300blk?? Nothing in all my testing...300blk subsonic carries knock down power of a 45acp.... 300blk subsonic is a fun gun....if I'm running a rifle for any real purpose I want rifle velocities and power. The ONLY thing 300blk subs have is they are very quite...thats about it

Now 300blk supers shooting Sierra 125 TMK's at 2150 out of my 10" 300blk expand like crazy, and are extremely accurate...going 10/10 on steel at 200, 300, 400 and 500yd with a Leupold MR/T 1.5-5....been running them for years in mine...this is also what Black Hills uses in their 300blk defensive ammo...

I think you just answered your own question. Knockdown power, and quiet. I can reach further with a 556 or i could have more power with a 762.

IMO, subsonic short range is where the 300 shines but thats my opinion and opinions are like.....

At the price 300 cost to shoot i'm okay with 556.

I think you just answered your own question. Knockdown power, and quiet. I can reach further with a 556 or i could have more power with a 762.

IMO, subsonic short range is where the 300 shines but thats my opinion and opinions are like.....

Exactly.
Power of a .45 ACP but super quiet...and fun. More accurate though past 25m for most shooters. Also has the supersonic option mentioned. I reload and use use Sierra 125 TNTs super and 190 Nosler CC HPBT blems for subs to match ballistics of 190 Hornady SUB-X as a cost effective option for shooting a lot.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I wasnt asking any quesitons, I was giving you facts. You obviously dont know what youre talking about. Having the knockdown power of a 45 in a rifle is NOT knockdown power for a rifle... Thats pistol knockdown power IN a rifle when shooting subs.... Unless for fun, no use, no shine.

Shooting supers at 2150 with a good expanding bullet has more than DOUBLE the knockdown power then your subs....So you can compare for yourself, here is Black Hills 300blk ammunition page for 1 source of reference...... Their 220GR subsonic ammo has 537ft lbs of energy...... Their 125 TMK supersonic ammo Im referring to has 1224ft lbs of energy...Big difference Like I said in my previous post. 300blk subs are for fun...

Ive done some pretty extensive testing with 300blk for accuracy and expansion 4-5 years ago. You may LIKE shooting subs, but from a useful standpoint, they dont compare to supers. Also, 300blk supers are quiter out of my 10" 300blk than 5.56 out of my 10.5" 5.56 by a very noticable amount. Now Im testing and talking about practical use, not fun range toys.

Here is final load confirmation after doing a lot of accuracy testing across 5 300blk barrels 4-5 years ago then expansion testing. This 125 TMK expands like an HST, retaining all its weight and opening up into a nasty flower pedal. I gotta find the expansion pictures. I tested 200, 220gr and various 110-125gr bullets. The 110 TSX and 125 TMK are the only ones that expanded. Thats my 10" SBR 300blk 7 five shot groups @ 100yds from the bench, bipod and rear bag with a Vortex Razor Gen1 5-25 to confirm accuracy with the final load.

For some background, I refused to get into 300blk for many many years. I kept hearing its not an accurate cartridge, its a fun gun to shoot subs very quite on steel at the range. I set out with a goal to prove some people wrong. I wanted head shot accuracy from 100yd and in with supers. Home defense/truck gun with eyeball accuracy. I have to say, I didnt think I was going to achieve my goals and almost wrote off the 300blk and agreed with everyone telling me it wasnt an accuracy cartridge. I went through 3 barrels from top names and they ALL shot between 1.25-4moa... Not what I was looking for. I decided to test 1 more barrel and it exceeded my expectations. The Rainier Ultramatch 10" 300blk... It wasnt even close. You can see the 0.521" aggregate @ 100yd over 7 groups (35rds). Thats DAMN GOOD for ANY AR, let alone 300blk SBR... Even though I had no intentions of shooting it at distance, decided one day to see how far I could walk it out. I went 10 for 10 on 12" steel at 200, 300, 400 and 500yd no problem. It was dead on with my LPO on 5x.. I have now had 2 of these same barrels and they both shot exactly the same with the same load. Just to give some background.

Last edited:
OP, sorry to derail your thread. Just trying to keep accurate information here thats all.

If I were you, I would recommend a 5.56 as my first shorty AR.. Very cheap, fun and accurate to shoot...

Reactions: FishinGuns