• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes AR Suitable Scope

ss7

ssh
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
VA
My old man has had some decline in vision recently and needs an alternative to open sights/holographic sights.

He looked through the lens of a friend of a friend's Burris 1-4x and was really pleased. We don't know what model it was, but would like something similar or recommendations relating to their line.

He was hoping to stay around $500 because that's what the gentleman said he approx paid for it, but would be willing to spend more after checking into the models and their current pricing.

So, is Burris a good option? Which model: Tac30, MTAC, XTR? He already has a quickmount with 1" rings that would be nice to use, but not worth any significant compromise.

I appreciate your time!

EDIT
I forgot to mention, illuminated reticle is also required!

Re: AR Suitable Scope

i have been checking out optics and shopping hard. Weaver kaspa extreme 3x12 30mm tube though, illuminated for the tired older eyes like mine and dad's. 225 or about that which leaves you plenty left over for a 30mm mount. I am putting one on an a r i am building on a budget.

The mtac is a refreshing upgrade from the tac 30 in my book. The xtr line is even nicer the mtac but in the 1-4 . The illumination and glass is a nice step up from tac 30 to mtac. I pretty sure mtac is 30mm though. Also not sure its worth the significant difference in price for the xtr (unless you find a good deal)

Its a ballistic reticle in each model. .. so, either love them or hate them.

Id say go mtac, they are often had bundled with a pepr mount to save money and sometimes with the addition of a fastfire.

Good luck-

Never used a Burris, but I had a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on my 16" carbine for a while; fantastic scope. Very clear glass, illumination, MOA/MRAD turret & reticle options, and Vortex apparently has an outstanding warranty (I've had 2 Vipers and never had to use warranty).

I bought mine on Primary Arms (I think Marshall is a Hide vendor here), with a discounted American Defense QD mount for right around $600 if i recall correctly, including the mount.

Good luck!

+1 on the burris I too am shopping ... check Midway and SWFA they both have package deals with a scope dot sight and PEPR rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sausage man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been checking out optics and shopping hard. Weaver kaspa extreme 3x12 30mm tube though, illuminated for the tired older eyes like mine and dad's. 225 or about that which leaves you plenty left over for a 30mm mount. I am putting one on an a r i am building on a budget. </div></div>

Thanks for the recommendation of another similar model! We will add this to the list to research.

I forgot to mention - illuminated reticle is a necessity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mtac is a refreshing upgrade from the tac 30 in my book. The xtr line is even nicer the mtac but in the 1-4 . The illumination and glass is a nice step up from tac 30 to mtac. I pretty sure mtac is 30mm though. Also not sure its worth the significant difference in price for the xtr (unless you find a good deal)

Its a ballistic reticle in each model. .. so, either love them or hate them.

Id say go mtac, they are often had bundled with a pepr mount to save money and sometimes with the addition of a fastfire.

Good luck- </div></div>

The MTAC is the one that was standing out to us as starters, but not sure on the reticle. Any idea of how many MOA that center point is? How much use is the fastfire if the scope is left on 1x?

The reticle of the scope we looked through had a couple cirles with the target-center open. Kinda like (0) or so if that makes sense. Were these older versions or different models I may have missed?

If you would like to keep your options open...
A couple other very noteworthy to consider

Trijicon - 1.25-4 & 1-4 excellent glass and great illumination

Leopold vxr- 1.25-4 firedot ballistic/spr great glass and center illumination

They are both fairly different than the Burris. If your not sold on their reticle these are both excellent buys. The Trijicon is held in very high regard, glass is the best of the group and illuminated by both tritium and fiber optics. There are great deals that can be had if your patient and look in the right places.

I believe the center dot on the MTAC reticle is 2/3 mil at 100 yds. One reviewer who loves the scope said on the Midway site that the dot was big enough to more or less cover the targets at 200 yds. But he liked it for 3Gun! Reticle visible in daylight even when red illumination washed out.....so good for cqb? I'd like to look thru one myself.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PharmD2002</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the center dot on the MTAC reticle is 2/3 mil at 100 yds. One reviewer who loves the scope said on the Midway site that the dot was big enough to more or less cover the targets at 200 yds. But he liked it for 3Gun! Reticle visible in daylight even when red illumination washed out.....so good for cqb? I'd like to look thru one myself..... </div></div>

Thanks for the specs on that reticle.. that confirms my speculation that its a bit too big.

The Vortex is looking pretty solid, though.

Thanks all for your help!

We found a great deal on a new XTR package with the fast fire and mount and pulled the trigger on that.

Thanks for the help all!

We found a great deal on an XTR with fast fire and mount.. pulled the trigger on that.