• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR vs. AK

R700widowmaker

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
i'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but i want everyones opinion on this. i am prior military, and i have shot ar style rifles for a very long time. but i cant help but notice the advantages that the ak has over the ar. the ak is more reliable, easier to disassemble, shoots a larger round, and is less exspensive. the ar is more accurate, and has less recoil, but i think i would rather have a rifle that doesnt jam, and has more penetration. if i want accuracy, i'll pull out the m-24.

any thoughts?

Re: AR vs. AK

Great first post!

As far as I'm concerned, the AK is a better apocalypse weapon than the AR. I can't think of a better "western civilization melts down" rifle than a Saiga 223 AK with the AR mag adapter.

If your goal was to defend your home and a small front yard then the AK could make a good argument, for everything else I'll take the AR.

Any weapon system that injects hot carbon fouling directly into the receiver is fundamentally flawed.
From a economics/production stand point, it(AR) is brilliant.

Both have been around for decades. I have both. I prefer the ergonomics, accuracy, and the aftermarket of the AR platform. But I'll never sell my AK.

Choose whatever you want. I'll say this though, I train with and shoot AKs all the time while I've lived and worked in Afghanistan for the last five years. I would NEVER choose an AK over an AR, no matter what the situation is. My experience with AKs is they're not only inaccurate, but they also are maintenance intensive requiring parts replacement and adjustments quite frequently. You get what you pay for.

daaarrrgghh, not another AK vs AR thread.
I used to be a huge "piston is way better than dirty DI" fanboy, but over time have come to see that each has its place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're not only inaccurate, but they also are maintenance intensive requiring parts replacement and adjustments quite frequently.</div></div>

Really? What accuracy do you expect from a gun that was designed as a close range weapon? Originally, Kalashnikov saw the need for a compact high cap rifle with enough punch to suppress anti-tank gunners. He was a tanker, remember? Research Soviet tank tactics of that era. Still, I have no problem nailing man-size targets all the way to 200 meters with mine, iron sights.

Being maintanence-intensive is a complete horse shit. The AKs used for decades with tens of thousands of rounds through them are still going strong, some of them are still 100% original. Try to bury an AK and AR in dirt for 6+ months, then see which one will still go BANG, lol.

As far as AK vs AR debate goes, it's a complete nonsense. Two different animals. But now you can have the best of both worlds and buy a gas-piston operated AR. I love my LWRC to death but will never ever get rid of my cheap-ass AK. It proved itself like no other weapon I've shot in service and in civilian life.

The AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.
The AR is more reliable than people give it credit for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.
The AR is more reliable than people give it credit for.

</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're not only inaccurate, but they also are maintenance intensive requiring parts replacement and adjustments quite frequently.</div></div>

Really? What accuracy do you expect from a gun that was designed as a close range weapon? Originally, Kalashnikov saw the need for a compact high cap rifle with enough punch to suppress anti-tank gunners. He was a tanker, remember? Research Soviet tank tactics of that era. Still, I have no problem nailing man-size targets all the way to 200 meters with mine, iron sights.

Being maintanence-intensive is a complete horse shit. The AKs used for decades with tens of thousands of rounds through them are still going strong, some of them are still 100% original. Try to bury an AK and AR in dirt for 6+ months, then see which one will still go BANG, lol.

As far as AK vs AR debate goes, it's a complete nonsense. Two different animals. But now you can have the best of both worlds and buy a gas-piston operated AR. I love my LWRC to death but will never ever get rid of my cheap-ass AK. It proved itself like no other weapon I've shot in service and in civilian life.</div></div> It's 2011, not 1947, so I expect my weapons to be capable of hitting what I aim at inside the effective range of the projectile (while supersonic), not just 200m. I also don't care what tactics they were originally intended for. I'm not taking on any NATO defensive lines walking next to a T-34 in West Germany anytime soon.

As for being high maintenance, yep, I'm sticking with that one. When 15%+ of your weapons break every month for one issue or another and your rounds fired per weapon don't exceed 1000 monthly, that's a problem. This isn't just a limited amount of old POS guns, this is new production eastern Europe models. I will not go into further detail than that, but I'm not impressed.

As mentioned already, they are two different animals. Let me echo the others, I love my AR and its features. Is a great multi purpose weapon, but I'll never get rid of my cheap AK. As Jasonk said, for protecting your home and surrounding areas its hard to beat. My choice between the two in an ugly situation would come down to the engagement distance expected, 200 or less is AK dominated, beyond that I'd grab the AR.

Ok. How about if you had to choose between Glock and the 1911 to pair with your AK vs AR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usafpjm14sdm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont know... i've fired a few ak's and they dont seem bad at all. </div></div>
Then why are you asking people on a forum full of experienced shooters what they think?
Jason K posted a good response. Defending my front lawn in any matter I would still go with the AR. With the AR sights the targets can be picked up easier than with the AKs squint and hope you aimed right sights. If you have the money you should have both, one for shooting and one for when your ammo runs out there will be plenty of ammo left when the chinese invade, world falls to chaos, zombies start walking the streets and we have all left out the big question, What do I use in an alien invasion?

Pick up and shoot both and see. I want a rifle I can put to my shoulder, and not get out of position to use it. While keeping my shooting hand on the pistol grip, I want to push a button and have the mag drop free while my other hand is reaching for the next magazine. I wont to be about to have a NPI and without changing my grip, disengage the safety.

Accuracy?????? You can hit a man size target at 200 yards with an AK. Really. In combat, if someone is shooting at your at 200 yards I doubt they present a full body target. I want accuracy where I know I can hit head size targets to 300 yards.

As to home defence. I suppose either will do it, but I wouldn't want either. I want a pistol. Even in my LE days, I did a heck of a lot of building searches. I forwent the shotgun for my service revolver. A long gun gets in the way. You have doors to open, mirrors for peeking around corners, etc. And if you catch a bandit, the long gun is really in the way. Ever try to handcuff someone while holding a rifle or shotgun? No sir, in self defense I'll stick with my pistol/revolver.

We use to get intermetian snipers in SE Asia, hired to pop a round every now and then to keep us honest. The rule was, if they were using AKs leave them a lone for fear they would be replaced with someone with a Mosin.

You hear stories of soldiers tossing their M16s and grabbing an AK in the field. I call bull shit, you certainly wont do it in any patrol I'm on, here is why. This is from a friend of mine, his name and panel number is left out. What happened was he took an AK and was playing with it. Nothing sounds like a AK but an AK. Much different then a M16. And not always can you have eye contact with others in your unit. When an AK opens up, you're gonna fire at it. Just the way it is in the jungle. And if you didn't know, "misadventure" is a term used for Friendly Fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SGT - E5 - Army - Regular
101st Airborne Division

Length of service 1 years
His tour began on Jun 24, 1967
Casualty was on Dec 8, 1967
In LAM DONG, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
MISADVENTURE
Body was recovered
</div></div>

As to reliability. There is nothing wrong with the reliability of the M16 system, and I've shot them in some pretty nasty conditions. They never failed me. I'm not talking range work (thats another ball game altogether, where there is no compairson) I'm talking combat, in some of the nastest country you can imagine. The below picture will give you some sort of ideal. I also used them a lot in extreme cold, spending 20 years in the Alaska NG where we did most of our training in the winter. Not hard to keep a M16 going.

I contend that anyone who says the AK is better has never used either in combat. Sure there are more AKs used through out the world, its not because they are better, its because the Russians and Chinese gave them away by the millions.

02.jpg

01.jpg

I've spent, seemingly, my entire life trying to build up a perfect AR. It doesn't take long to see you can't do that with an AK.
Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize.
smile.gif

Besides, I'm 6'4" tall with long arms and the AK has never been even close to a good fit.

I would like somebody to show me some actual FACTUAL information that proves the AK is more reliable. I've had both. While the low end AR's do have reliability problems the good ones (Colt, LMT, BCM) are perfectly reliable. Even the "high end" AK's I've used experienced failures. I love the AK platform don't get me wrong but the AR is simply a better rifle.

The only real advantage I see to the AK is the larger round with slightly more energy and cheaper ammo. The fact you can use it for big game hunting is a upside but it's a battle rifle so I don't consider whether or not you can hunt with it a advantage. The AR is lighter, flatter shooter, has much better ergonomics and whether you want to believe it or not, more reliable. The ammo is also a hell of a lot light too which means you can carry more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like somebody to show me some actual FACTUAL information that proves the AK is more reliable.
</div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9oITR_KZok"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9oITR_KZok" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've spent, seemingly, my entire life trying to build up a perfect AR. It doesn't take long to see you can't do that with an AK.
Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize.
smile.gif

Besides, I'm 6'4" tall with long arms and the AK has never been even close to a good fit. </div></div>
Same here, and it just feels like you picked up a big soda can that shoots.

As stated above its two different beast! I have several Ar's in every caliber just about and two Ak's. More often than not I'm getting my Ak out to shoot! It just fun to shoot! Plus I've seen in combat what that Ak can do at close range!

As for accessorizes I have a black folding Ak that is pretty accessorized. It has a front grip, folding stock, twin magazines, eotech sight, plus a light with the grip. Its been to iraq and back and is an animal!

If I had to choose one over the other the Ak is coming with me all the time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like somebody to show me some actual FACTUAL information that proves the AK is more reliable.
</div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9oITR_KZok"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9oITR_KZok" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>

I've personally seen AKs with the barrel worn smooth and cleaned with diesel fuel shoot every time you pull the trigger. Not saying they are accurate, but they still go bang. Go drag an AR through Afghanistan for 40 years cleaning it with diesel, if you clean it at all, and see how long it lasts. Too me there is no arguement, they are two totally different weapons and as far as I'm concerned not even in the same class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AK is more accurate than people give it credit for.
The AR is more reliable than people give it credit for.</div></div>

Not to take anything away from johnson but to lend credibility to this statement thats a quote from Larry Vickers. Doubt any will argue LAV's credentials or experiance with M4's and yet he remains one of the leading proponents of the AK in an updated configuration.

I purchased my first AK a bit over a year ago and have since aquired a few more. I have learned alot about the history and employment of the weapon as well as taken note of several pearls of wisdom.

If any of you follow Sturm's Military Arms You Tube channel you will know that Tim is another AK guy. He made a valid point in regards to the perceived accuracy of the AK. Most often folks compare a top tier AR (Colt, LMT, Noveske etc) shooting comercial US ammo against the cheapest comblock AK with the cheapest mil surp ammo they can find. This results more times than not in a drastic difference in accuracy between the two...go friggin figure.

When considering an AK factor in the fact that the only factory made rifle you will get here in the US will be one that was imported as a sporter and then configured into the familiar profile we think of when we say AK (actually AKM). Anything else was imported as parts kits and assembled here probably on a US made receiver. Why does this matter? Well guys build AK's in their garages everyday some better than others and some use better or more correct tooling than others. Some of the shops making AK's are on the same lines in regards to equipment and tooling but the point is you really dont know what you are getting with some of these cheap off brand AK's. The Ruski rifles are built in factorys that produce weapons for their military and have been for decades using purpouse built equipment and not a 12 ton harbor freight press and some homemade fixtures.

AR's by comparison are hard to jack up assembly, you can half ass one together and I would say its still fairly safe to fire. An AK is held together with rivets and the rivets must be properly formed and the sheetmetal receiver drawn into the trunion countersink to provide the needed sheer strength, screw this up and the trunnion followed by the bolt carrier could find its way into your face.

Ammo...oh boy where to start. 7.62x39; cheap way to have a semi auto 30/30. You get slow heavy bullets that are good at closer ranges but fall off quickly beyond 300yds and I love the fact that most AK's have sights graduated out to 800 or 1000 meters talk about wishfull thinking. 223; do we need to cover this here? Anybody thats on this site should have a decent clue as to the pros and cons of the round. 5.45x39 nasty and cheap very very cheap. Cons are IMO the supply is in question as the only source is Russia or former Russian states conversly 7.62x39 is made all over the world. Spinning up a few barrels in 5.45x39 for AR, MRP and ACR this week and looking forward to testing it. I see 5.45 as a great way to shoot and train alot without spending too much or the hassle of reloading. I do reload but prefer to load for bolt guns vice hundreds of rounds to shoot out of gassers.

AK sights IMO are the leading reason why people shoot them poorly, think of them as pistol sights and use accordingly and it will help but not much. IMO the best thing you can do to an AK is to mount a red dot and we are seeing alot of new and innovative mounting solutions appearing lately which is good news.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've personally seen AKs with the barrel worn smooth and cleaned with diesel fuel shoot every time you pull the trigger. Not saying they are accurate, but they still go bang. Go drag an AR through Afghanistan for 40 years cleaning it with diesel, if you clean it at all, and see how long it lasts. To me there is no arguement, they are two totally different weapons and as far as I'm concerned not even in the same class.
</div></div>

Amen. Let's leave this for the biased to argue. They can't accept AK for what it is because they can't hit anything with it. That's not the gun's fault so I am not impressed with their agenda.

Apples to oranges.... different weapon for different need. If you wanted a no clean/abuse as needed weapon get an AK (but at least get a well made one).

IMHO, neither the AK or AR are battle rifles.... The AK is getting close but still not very effective past 300 yards... a Scar Heavy, M14, FAL, G3 etc. would be a better choice.

First and foremost I'm not for or against either. With that being said.... In my experience the M16 or M4 are very reliable. There is no reason to just leave them unmaintained for the sake if it. The AR style weapon system doesn't have to be armory turn in clean for it to work. Just AP brush the bolt and run a bore brush through the barrel a couple times when you get a chance. It doesn't matter what the outside looks like.

Trijicon sent some instructors down to the stumps and they made us abuse our rifles and their ACOG's. Only one person from that class had weapons malfunctions and it was quickly fixed with new magazines. Almost before every string of fire we took off the ACOG and put it back on, they all had repeatable zeros.

As for the AK's, they seem to work just fine for the whoever picks one up. All the AK's I ever found buried in drainage ditches or palm groves, were packed with grease unless they planned on using them soon.

I believe they are both fine weapon systems for anyone. I think just about anyone can agree that the M16 / M4 need a caliber change. While the AK could use a modern update (just don't let the current enemy get them). And no weapon system (that shoots bullets) can replace good fundamentals of marksmanship.

I have never owned a cheap AR, and as such, I have never had a single malfunction. On the other hand, every AK I have had experience with has had a malfunction of some sort.

The final nail in the AK coffin for me is the sights are very hard for me to focus on, and the stock positions my head too low for a proper cheek weld with the red dot options I have tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the stock positions my head too low for a proper cheek weld with the red dot options I have tried.</div></div>
This midwest/us palm rail helps with your problem. I have one with a T1 and it works great.

https://uspalm.com/component/magebridge/us-palm-mi-rail-kit-rmr.html?Itemid=102

You can update ergonomics and effectiveness of an AK with different stocks, sights, grips, muzzle devices, mags etc... but you're still limited to the capabilities of 7.62x39

edit: US palms site is updating... here is another source for the rail
http://sgcusa.com/us-palm/hard-goods/us-palm-mi-rail-kit-rmr.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBannister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. How about if you had to choose between Glock and the 1911 to pair with your AK vs AR?
</div></div>

i see what you did there
wink.gif

I own both, and love both. But my AR feels better, handles better, ALL of its controls are quicker and more conveniant. I'm not one of those "what if shtf?" guys, but if I had to bail out of the house tomorrow in a crazy situation and could only pack one weapon, I would without a doubt reach for the AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've personally seen AKs with the barrel worn smooth and cleaned with diesel fuel shoot every time you pull the trigger. Not saying they are accurate, but they still go bang. Go drag an AR through Afghanistan for 40 years cleaning it with diesel, if you clean it at all, and see how long it lasts. To me there is no arguement, they are two totally different weapons and as far as I'm concerned not even in the same class.
</div></div>

Amen. Let's leave this for the biased to argue. They can't accept AK for what it is because they can't hit anything with it. That's not the gun's fault so I am not impressed with their agenda. </div></div>

If thats directed towards me I can have my buddy upload the video he has of me banging a piece of steel at 600 yards with my old Yugo M70B1. I'd say hitting a 2MOA target at 600 yards 17 out of 20 rounds with a rifle that supposedly won't shoot better than 3MOA and supposedly won't shoot passes 300 yards is pretty impressive. I can run an AK with the best of them but I'd still take an AR over it any day.

When I had my AR, it worked reliably for me as long as I fed it decent ammo.

My only semi rifles these days are a Garand and an SKS, and each has a different purpose. I have two semi shotguns, both 20ga.

The Garand is for when it absolutely, positively needs to be destroyed at medium to long range. It is hard to beat in that environment.

The SKS is for close in, backup (CQB?) requirements, where volume of fire has a higher value. Mine has a dot scope on a forward gas tube mount and gets fed from 10-rd strippers. Its cheap simplicity is its greatest asset.

I have a heavy preference for .30 cal bullets when it somes on down to a slugfest, and I have no aversion to expanding projectiles. If I wanted to deal out 22's, I'd be sending them in swarms as #3 buckshot. When somebody wants you dead, it's no time and place for half measures.

AK's and AR's are both fine implements.

Greg

I have owned both. I really liked the AKs power and TRIED to like the rest of it. After penetration tests in various mediums, however, I swiftly sold the AK and now run ONLY ARs.

Ive owned several cheap to mid-range ARs, my ONLY malfunctions (2) happened (incident A): after 2500ish rounds without ANY cleaning
(incident B): a magazine with cracked feed lips

Obviously Im biased, but only after giving them both a lot of time, trying various ammo, in many different seasons/environments, shooting at and through many mediums.

The final test for me was penetration/terminal ballistics. I got larger cavitation in 20% ballistic gel molds with fragmenting m193 than any fmj 7.62X39 rnds, and penetration depth on average went was not significantly different enough to justify the added recoil of 7.62 (and downtime to get back on target for hammered pairs). This was my own personal testing in as scientific a method as i had access to.

I dont care about other's results, these were mine that I observed with my two eyes.

Speaking of terminal ballistics 5.45 is a nasty little round and very cheap (for now).

Seems like this thread is only considering 7.62x39 AK's which is fine but one of the reasons people enjoy AK's is they are significantly less expensive to feed (foctory ammo). If that is a concern or reason for owning one its worth considering 5.45x39.

I'll be testing it for myself as soon as my mags arrive but lots of guys on M4 are having great results with AR's in 5.45. They dont seem to be as fickle as the 7.62x39 AR's. To be honest my only bad experiances with 7.62x39 in an AR were the magazines not the rifle but I finally got one to run without jamming but it required cherry picking through several mags to get there.

The ak is a good folder. For an in city truck gun, it's my pick. However, I will never
need it I am quite sure. Makes it a novelty for me. Having built several, the ak's
trunnion is locked to the barrel the same as an AR barrel extension. The rivets,
screws or welds breaking loose on a poor build pose no danger to the shooter other
than having a gun that won't fire. I guess you could get one to fire out of battery if
you shot it until it was falling in half. Ak's are fun to build, but at todays prices they
are not even a decent deal as far as guns. 3 moa for a great shooter and 5 for the
average is not what I want in a rifle.

Been shooting M16's/AR15's since 1979, always wanted an AK because the NCO's I had when I first went into the Marine Corps said they were so great, and what a piece of crape the M16 was compared to the M14 and AK47. I never had any problems with an AR myself, so I finally got an AK47, their OK but not overly impressed with them, cheaply made, trigger slap, short stocks, I carried an M4 with an Aimpoint CCO, now that was a nice rifle/carbine, still like my M16A2 the best. Guess now that I'm one of the old NCO's in the National Guard the kids can talk the same crap about me that I talked about the old salts back in the 80's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usafpjm14sdm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but i want everyones opinion on this. i am prior military, and i have shot ar style rifles for a very long time. but i cant help but notice the advantages that the ak has over the ar. the ak is more reliable, easier to disassemble, shoots a larger round, and is less exspensive. the ar is more accurate, and has less recoil, but i think i would rather have a rifle that doesnt jam, and has more penetration. if i want accuracy, i'll pull out the m-24.

any thoughts?</div></div>

Has your AR actually been jamming, or are you worried about a theoretical problem?

I used to go to a black rifle league every week for over 10 years, so I've seen every kind of jam imaginable. The most common problem I observed on both AR and AK platforms were bad magazines. I've also seen jams on both platforms, but they were rare and often the user had questionable ammo.

Based on my experience, both platforms are very reliable. Granted, I did not stick either in the mud for 6 months and then pull them out to fire them, but that's not an important scenario to me. In fact, I think it's the dumbest scenario I've ever heard of unless your dog has a habit of burying your guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usafpjm14sdm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the ak is more reliable, easier to disassemble, shoots a larger round, and is less exspensive. </div></div>

To me, anyone who says this is a victim of preconceived misconceptions.

I have had zero malfunctions in My 3 AR's. All run regular weight hammer springs, and quality magazines.

AR disassemble for cleaning: Rear push pin, pull out CH and BCG. done.

6.8/6.5 or 308AR if you want a large round in an AR platform.

A quality AR can be had for around $600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A quality AR can be had for around $600.
</div></div>

Reaaaally??? Wow...ROFLMAO!

How much abuse to you plan to subject the rifle to? Are you going to be dragging it through mud, or crawling around in the sand, or swimming with it? For civilian use, the AR is plenty reliable. The reports of AR's failing from the military are ones treated much more harshly than most people would do to their own guns.

That being said, I own an AK and love it. I do not own an AR because if I want a semi-auto that can put something down at range, I pick up my M1a =).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reports of AR's failing from the military are ones treated much more harshly than most people would do to their own guns.</div></div>

I'd like to know where you got this information

Stick with the AR platform the improvements made over the years have made the reliability just as good if not better then the AK. I have had my M4 in the jungle for 3 weeks, the ocean for hours on end and shot thousands of rounds with out a major malfunction (and thats with well used military issue rifles). Another example of AR series improvements, take the LaRue OBR. I friend of mine recently was fortunate enough to go through a shooting package with a borrowed one and after close to 3000 rounds without cleaning there he reported there has yet to be a failure (sub-moa accuracy doesn't hurt either).

A QUALITY ar can be had for a similar price to a QUALITY AK at this point in time (around 1000). Either will serve you fine. Personally I prefer the AR as that's what I was trained on and what I'm more used to. Ergonomically I have a lot of trouble with the AK LOP and I don't much care for the triggers in most of them, and my mag changes are slow although I've seen guys manage to do them quite fluidly. In terms of field level care, I honestly don't see an advantage in the AK over a quality AR. If someone really has that much trouble taking apart their BCG they need to worry about more than what gun to buy.

ETA: Not bashing AK's, I own one and can certainly "hit things" with it. T1 on an ultimak is quite functional. I'm not really concerned with dragging it through the desert for 40 years because I don't live in a desert, and I do not see any possible situation where I would have the same gun for 40 years and not clean it or replace it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SlowNoisyDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reports of AR's failing from the military are ones treated much more harshly than most people would do to their own guns.</div></div>

I'd like to know where you got this information </div></div>

lol i used to treat mine like the bitch it was...but it got tlc at the end of the day and ran just fine everytime

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SlowNoisyDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reports of AR's failing from the military are ones treated much more harshly than most people would do to their own guns.</div></div>

I'd like to know where you got this information</div></div>

A rifle will undergo FAR worse conditions in combat/patrols out in the desert than it will under most civilian shooters' care. I'm sure some of you beat the crap out of your rifles, but most people just take them to the range and back.

You also have to consider the impact of a failure under the different circumstances. A jam in combat can have very serious consequences depending on the situation. A jam on a firing line is not exactly a life or death situation. Even failures during a competition, as much as it sucks to have happen, don't come close to potential consequences of it happening in combat. I for one, would much rather throw a match than try to clear that stovepipe with Haji shooting at me.

I think it's safe to say the AR is not as reliable as the AK. When picking a weapon to go on a mission with, that could make the difference of picking one over the other, depending on the situation. However for most civilian shooters in the states, the AR is plenty reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like somebody to show me some actual FACTUAL information that proves the AK is more reliable.
</div></div>
</div></div>

I've personally seen AKs with the barrel worn smooth and cleaned with diesel fuel shoot every time you pull the trigger. Not saying they are accurate, but they still go bang. Go drag an AR through Afghanistan for 40 years cleaning it with diesel, if you clean it at all, and see how long it lasts. Too me there is no arguement, they are two totally different weapons and as far as I'm concerned not even in the same class.

</div></div>

Yup, might be MORE ready than the buck knife on your side
shocked.gif
Love my AR platforms...haven't seen any "battlefield pickups" lately
blush.gif

I like the AR for accuracy, the AK for its ability to be punished, and the Mini 14 since it is somewhere in between. Yes I know, scoff a Ruger, but since I am not only required to qual on one at work, I have developed a fondness. A little less money than an AR and there is a good aftermarket. They just work, and is a very capable option.

Just as an aside, the Russian military has stopped production of the AK platform and is now seeking a more modern design. Seems that even Ivan the pig farmer sees the need for more accuracy and modularity.

Just sayin'...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacp81170a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just as an aside, the Russian military has stopped production of the AK platform and is now seeking a more modern design. Seems that even Ivan the pig farmer sees the need for more accuracy and modularity.

Just sayin'... </div></div>

Where did you see this? Can you post a link, i would be interested in reading more.