• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Accuracy

t8354p

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Long Island, NY
I currently own a DPMS SASS rifle and I would like to know what I should upgrade in order to improve the overall accuracy, aside for the shooter.
smile.gif

I hope someone can respond back with a prioritized list of components (in order of importance) and a brief explanation of what components I should consider upgrading.

I did my due diligence and searched before I posted this however, if this topic has been posted before, please accept my apologies and if possible please send me the link.

I thank you all in advance for your time,
Evan

Re: AR10 Accuracy

What kind of accuracy are you getting now?

It seems like the trigger is the first place to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently own a DPMS SASS rifle and I would like to know what I should upgrade in order to improve the overall accuracy, aside for the shooter.
smile.gif

I hope someone can respond back with a prioritized list of components (in order of importance) and a brief explanation of what components I should consider upgrading.
Evan
</div></div>

I have DPMS SASS so I will start with that. It is pretty good right out of the box for a gas gun but I wondered the same as you can I get more out of it. Now, I will be up front with you - the next steps you take will NOT bring you money if you choose to sell it or not much more. So that being said, I sent mine to GA Precision for a barrel upgrade. I got them to put on 20" Bartlein 1.11 5R barrel and I changed the rear springs and had them work the trigger to release at 2.5#. I can now get 3/4 MOA consistently and on some good days 1/2 MOA. I am still working up the loads for it. if you want to know how much it cost PM me and I will tell you.

Today I shot my 16" GAP upper on an Eagle Lower to 1000 yards, of 10 shots I got 4 hits on steel. 3 on a Larue Target 12X22 and then I moved to a 10X18 target and centered it.

I used 39 MOA to hit at 1000 yards using M118LR conditions:

Baro 29.85
Temp 65
Wind 10MPH from 4 O'clock (held 2.5 mils)
D/A 785

Biggest fight was the wind, as it was changing about 3 MPH to 5 MPH at the shooter. Elevation was spot on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently own a DPMS SASS rifle and I would like to know what I should upgrade in order to improve the overall accuracy, aside for the shooter.
smile.gif
</div></div>

It's all in the upper and ammo. The lugs on OEM / as issued barrel extensions can and do ding the bullets when cycling, this is an accuracy killer for long range. The gas system is probably wide open to run with a wide assortment of ammo thus the bolt is slamming back hard when cycling then hard on closure. An after market barrel with a match grade chamber is #1 on the list with polished feed ramps and lug fronts followed by an adjustable gas block set to your ammo and after market trigger. Over sized hinge pins or the JP pins will lock the upper/lower fit tight. With the right ammo and technique behind the rifle, accuracy is unbelievable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently own a DPMS SASS rifle.....</div></div>

First word of advice. You DON'T own an AR10. You own a DPMS rifle. AR10s are made by Armalite and use quite a few different parts from your DPMS. Barrels, bolts and uppers are not interchangable without some serious research. It's a common problem since folks like to call any large autoloader that looks like an AR a AR10. Its a real pain when you are trying to find AR10 parts and all you keep finding are DPMS parts listed as "AR10".

As Frank said, with AR pattern autoloaders it's all about the barrel and to a lesser degree, the bolt.

When Noveske gets some barrels back in stock we will see how accurate mine can be.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I shot my 16" GAP upper on an Eagle Lower to 1000 yards, of 10 shots I got 4 hits on steel. 3 on a Larue Target 12X22 and then I moved to a 10X18 target and centered it. </div></div>

You've almost got the gas gun thing figured out
wink.gif

Good shooting Frank.

I was happy with it, I knew the rifle was a hammer at 800 yards and in, and I honestly never tried a 1000 yards before this week. We shot it Friday at 1000 yards, the winds were really playing havoc on the downrange results.

Friday I had a 3X9 SS scope mounted on it and then I used 11.6 Mils to 1000 yards. So I knew where to start. The 9X made it hard to see what was happening so yesterday I put a NF 3-15X on it with 1 MOA knobs, so it was easy, dialed to 39MOA and sent them on their way. If I had the 18X40 target up I think I would have achieved more hits, the misses were super close bracketing between 3 and 9, with a couple 10s and 4s... but otherwise I was definitely right there.

Flounder definitely built me a hammer...

William, that is some interesting info, i was on the fence about getting a DPMS with 24" stainless barrel. I am currently shooting a Remington 5R in a AICS 1.5 and getting 1/2 moa or slightly better groups(when i do my part) using match ammo and some 175gr handloads. Is it fair to say that hoping to get a DPMS or AR10 gas gun out of the box to acheive this is dreaming? , and likley the only way to achieve it is to have a custom tweaked upper/barrel/ etc ?
Thanks in advance for the info.

Dammit Frank. You are making me want to order the 16" Noveske barrel just for grins.

I was planning on trying to pickup a factory 16" ligtweight barrel just to see how they shoot when free floated and fed the right ammo.

If you had been shooting at a bad guy it sounds like the misses were close enough that they would have made him hide behind something...........real quick like.

Thats impressive to say the least with a 16" 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William, that is some interesting info, i was on the fence about getting a DPMS with 24" stainless barrel. I am currently shooting a Remington 5R in a AICS 1.5 and getting 1/2 moa or slightly better groups(when i do my part) using match ammo and some 175gr handloads. Is it fair to say that hoping to get a DPMS or AR10 gas gun out of the box to acheive this is dreaming? , and likley the only way to achieve it is to have a custom tweaked upper/barrel/ etc ?
Thanks in advance for the info. </div></div>

My LR308 is box stock except for polished lug fronts and feed ramps. With 168 FGMM at 100 yards it'll easily hold .75" moa when being magazine feed. When being single feed onezies, it's scary accurate, well under .5moa with several groups in the mid .3's

Lapua Brass, 42.5 grains of RL-15, CCIBR2 primers & COAL @ 2.800"

As said, I feel the bolt cycling hard is an accuracy killer but the barrels and chambers seem to be of good quality for stock rifles. Slow the bolt carrier down with an adjustable JP Gas Block and try 175 SMKs with RL-15 and I think you'll be impressed. I'll be modifying mine in the very near future but for now it shoots great as box stock play rifle.

Thanks for the info William, that makes a lot of sense actually when you think about it, in regards to what is happening to the bullet as its being fed in the gas gun vs. the bolt action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait until you guys see my "Proof of Concept" video, it will change the way you look at back up sights.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Stop yapping and start uploading, cant wait to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop yapping and start uploading, cant wait to see it. </div></div>Yeah: Post that puppy!
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what they make gloves and boots for
smile.gif
</div></div>Nope. That's what they make MARINES for!
laugh.gif

Don't even start, the power just went out in the middle of the file render for the video and I lost the entire video and now I have to start over because 1 stupid drive needs to be plugged in... It only had 1 more minute to render and it would have saved.

Arrrr...