• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 brakes necessary on a 20" bbl?

Hokie

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
Looking for an AR10 upper for target & hunting. While I'm not opposed to compensators, flash suppressors, sound suppressors, golf ball launchers, etc...lol... I'm looking to preserve what little hearing I have left.

I'm speculating that a crowned 20" bbl would bark less than a 20" with the standard Armalite A2 comp. I don't rapid fire anything these days, so I'm weighing the pros and cons of directed blast vs recoil reduction.

I guess my casual amateur question of the day surrounds the effectiveness of Armalite's factory muzzle device.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

H

Re: AR10 brakes necessary on a 20" bbl?

If you're wanting to reduce sound, flash, and recoil then your best bet is to invest in a suppressor of your choice.

No doubt. One option I'm considering is doing just that for a 16" upper I own. Not sure I'd ever shoot enough to get overly worried about the increased grime that goes with the suppressor. For hunting, provided I can keep a 20" upper under 10lbs glassed...I'd just as soon go unsupressed. Easier to walk about.

At the same time - I don't want my ears to bleed if I pull the trigger during hunting season. Ear protection and hunting, as we all know - doesn't mix! lol....

I appreciate your comments though, great points. Thank you.

I consider myself recoil sensitive and shooting my lmt in 308 (has a standard birdcage on it). I don't find the need to add a muzzle break. Even after putting 100rds through it this weekend, I found the recoil to be nill to none. I know it isn't an "ar-10" specifically but that's my 2 cents.

I do plan on suppressing it after I find out how to fit the same can on my TRG and my MWS.

All unsuppressed AR type rifles are loud, IMO. If you do no rapid fire, why the AR? IMO you would be better served by a med weight, 26" bolt rifle in something like a 250 Savage or 300 Savage. They just go pop. Just my opinion.
I am not anti AR and mostly use one as I am a coyote hunter and they offer advantages that out weigh the very signifigant downsides. I can see no reason to use one if you do not have the need for multiple fast shots, ie coyote hunting.

Flash hiders that direct the blast away from you help a bit (like YHM 5C2) with muzzle report however loud is loud. Doubt you'd notice much difference between A2, YHM, or no muzzle device at all.

You'll have to really strip it down to get it under 10lbs glassed (and pick a lightweight scope) but it can be done with right barrel profile. As far as noise goes a suppressor certainly helps BUT I don't know about the laws re:hunting with one. As far as grime with suppressor goes you'd only be using it every now and then so don't see why that matters (when you're at the range use hearing protection obviously).

MSA Supreme Pro-X Ear Muffs are the best investment I have made in a while. check them out. A little pricey, but worth it. What's your hearing worth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hokie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

At the same time - I don't want my ears to bleed if I pull the trigger during hunting season. Ear protection and hunting, as we all know - doesn't mix! lol....</div></div>

I wear ear protection while hunting. You have two options. Put it on right before the shot, or go with electronic muffs that amplify ambient noise while canceling the gunfire.

Highly recommend for the quick back on target 2nd shot if desired/required

Man, get some electronic hearing protection andyou will save your ears. Only takes about 6-10 shots up close to those kind of DB's and you will permanently damage your hearing.

Get some good electronic ears...Peltor has many.

Your hearing can be damaged even when shooting a .22lr. I don't shoot anything without hearing protection... PERIOD!! I value the hearing I have, and I want to keep it. Eye and hearing protection is mandatory for myself and those I shoot with.

Peltor is a great answer for the hunting side of things. You can turn up the volume for super hearing while scouting for whatever you are hunting, then immediately shut off during the blast from the firearm. Win-Win situation if you can wear them and get a good cheek weld.

Anyways, to answer your original question... yes, with the brake it is louder!! I personally prefer the rifle to have the factory brake on it, as it works extremely well. You trade loud, for quicker followup shots should they be necessary.

DK

Sage wisdom all, thanks. I'll check out those electronic muffs and stop sweating the degree to which my guns will destroy my hearing! Good points.