• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Build....Advice on Barrel Length

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am currently down to placing an order for a barrel for a AR10 accuracy build in 6.5 Creedmoor. Before I place my order however, I have two questions that I would like to get answered. First, I am torn between either a 22" or 24" barrel. I know most people say to go with a 24", but I am considering the 22" because it cuts down a weight a little (gun is already pretty heavy without barrel) and I also like the fact that it makes it a tad more manuevable. My question is, how much speed will I loose by going with the 22" over the 24"? I know that if you are shooting a 1,000 yards or more, most people are going to say 24", but I doubt I will rarely go that far (more likely 800 to 900 yards or so). My second question is which gas tube should I go with on either of the lengths of barrel? Craddock Precision list a gas tube option on both barrel lengths of rifle+2 and rifle+3. Which should I go with on a 22" barrel and which on a 24" barrel? What are the pros and cons of each? If if helps, I have a 16.6" handguard and I plan on using a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and would everything covered by the handguard if possible. I am not sure if the handguard will cover either of the lengths however. Thanks for any comments back.

You won't see an appreciable difference between 22 and 24 that will matter all that much. If you desire a little less weight and maneuverability, you could talk yourself into a 20" barrel and still meet all the needs that are important to you

A true 16.6" handguard won't completely cover the gas block on a +3 barrel. It's very close, though, and wouldn't bother me.

22" with a +2 gas system is pretty much the gold standard for precision gasses in 6.5CM

I've just ordered both, they are identical in every way except one is 22" and the other is 24"

Bartlein four groove/ 1-8 Twist / M110 Contour/ +2 gas / .875 GB, step down to .850 to muzzle/ 5/8x24 threads.

Sould be all together by the end of the month if you care to wait for real world data.

I currently have two rifles I'm currently shooting in the above configuration that are 22". This is what I'm getting with 40.4grs of H4350 under 140gr ELD.

They both shot every well but at 41.0grs of H4350 was just starting to show pressure signs during load development so I didn't Chrono the 41.0 load. I'm not sure what the MV would be with .6 more powder?
25-40 Fps?.. maybe 🤔

13036.jpeg

Last edited:
22" with a +2 gas system is pretty much the gold standard for precision gasses in 6.5CM

I've just ordered both, they are identical in every way except one is 22" and the other is 24"

Bartlein four groove/ 1-8 Twist / M110 Contour/ +2 gas / .875 GB, step down to .850 to muzzle/ 5/8x24 threads.

Sould be all together by the end of the month if you care to wait for real world data.

I currently have two rifles I'm currently shooting in the above configuration that are 22". This is what I'm getting with 40.4grs of H4350 under 140gr ELD.

They both shot every well but at 41.0grs of H4350 was just starting to show pressure signs during load development so I didn't Chrono the 41.0 load. I'm not sure what the MV would be with .6 more powder?
25-40 Fps?.. maybe 🤔

View attachment 8095164
I use 1.5gr more H4350 in my 26” bolt gun and only see 40fps higher velocity than what you are getting. I don’t see how you always get such fast speeds with so little powder.

I use 1.5gr more H4350 in my 26” bolt gun and only see 40fps higher velocity than what you are getting. I don’t see how you always get such fast speeds with so little powder.

What are you seeing in your SP10?? Are you running Bartlein four groove barrels??

My 24" Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel was also slower than my Bartlein 22" barrels around 2680fps with Hornady 147 ELD.

I'm running a

MagnetoSpeed V3​

Last edited:
What are you seeing in your SP10?? Are you running Bartlein barrels??

My 24" Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel was also slower than my my Bartlein 22" barrels around 2680fps with Hornady 140 ELD.
I haven’t put any h4350 through my seekins or 20” proof. 41.5gr of RL16 gets me 2706fps avg in my 22” seekins and 40fps less in my proof. Not really apples to apples. Next weekend I’ll load h4350 and put a few through my semi to see. With the speeds you are getting with 40.4gr and a 22”, you would think I would be seeing 2850 in my bolt gun. LOL.

I have had Bartlein bolt gun barrels among many other brands. I haven’t had one stand out as far as speed was concerned.

I haven’t put any h4350 through my seekins or 20” proof. 41.5gr of RL16 gets me 2706fps avg in my 22” seekins and 40fps less in my proof. Not really apples to apples. Next weekend I’ll load h4350 and put a few through my semi to see. With the speeds you are getting with 40.4gr and a 22”, you would think I would be seeing 2850 in my bolt gun. LOL.

I have had Bartlein bolt gun barrels among many other brands. I haven’t had one stand out as far as speed was concerned.

Well I have two more four groove Bartlein barrels on the way so I'll be able to show data on 18", 22" and 24".

Well I have two more four groove Bartlein barrels on the way so I'll be able to show data on 18", 22" and 24".
I finally fooled with my SP10 today. Prime brass, 140gr eldm, cci200, 41.7gr of H4350 loaded at 2.81” put my right at 2700fps. Loading a bit longer and 41.9gr puts me at 2750fps with my 26” desert tech bolt gun. I just never get the velocity that guys post regardless of cartridge. I’m getting your speed albeit with a grain and half more powder. This is a great shooting load for sure.

I finally fooled with my SP10 today. Prime brass, 140gr eldm, cci200, 41.7gr of H4350 loaded at 2.81” put my right at 2700fps. Loading a bit longer and 41.9gr puts me at 2750fps with my 26” desert tech bolt gun. I just never get the velocity that guys post regardless of cartridge. I’m getting your speed albeit with a grain and half more powder. This is a great shooting load for sure.

The seekins with the 22" Bartlein is staying right at 2700FPS with 40.4grs of H4350/140 ELDs/Lapua Brass/BR4 Primers. I've also just finished my JP LRI-20 with the 24" Bartlein so I'll soon have data to compare to the 22" as well.

Here is the JP LRI-20 with the 24" Bartlein and the first 28rds down the barrel during Break-in cleaning after every 5rd group. I had 3rds left of Winchester USA 140 for the final group that printed .115 MOA
20230424_105625.jpg

20230424_105637.jpg

I'm finishing up a JP Build for @FALex, his is a 22" Bartlein same as my Seekins so we'll be able to collect some decent data for comparison.

Reactions: FALex and wade2big
The seekins with the 22" Bartlein is staying right at 2700FPS with 40.4grs of H4350/140 ELDs/Lapua Brass/BR4 Primers. I've also just finished my JP LRI-20 with the 24" Bartlein so I'll soon have data to compare to the 22" as well.

Here is the JP LRI-20 with the 24" Bartlein and the first 28rds down the barrel during Break-in cleaning after every 5rd group. I had 3rds left of Winchester USA 140 for the final group that printed .115 MOA
View attachment 8131903
View attachment 8131906

I'm finishing up a JP Build for @FALex, his is a 22" Bartlein same as my Seekins so we'll be able to collect some decent data for comparison.
I still am having trouble believing how good that Winchester is shooting bro. If I were you, I wouldn’t bother with anything else. LMAO!!

Well now I have to make a desicion on a 22 or 24. The 22 might be enough for me in SA rifle. My bolt 6.5cm is in 24.

I have a 24" fluted Krieger .308 currently out for delivery with UPS for my AP build. It's been a long wait. I have an EC tuner V-2 brake going on.
I'll have to start all over with my handloads. Everything I have is tuned to the BA 20". If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll break it in and begin load development for the new barrel. By tonight I'll have 300 rounds loaded in 168 SMK's 175 SMK's and 178 ELD's and I'm dying to test them.
My best groups with handloads with the ballistics advantage 20" was .75". I expect that to improve with the 24" Krieger, by how much ? I don't know. It's coming down to the nut behind the stock now.

I have a 24" fluted Krieger .308 currently out for delivery with UPS for my AP build. It's been a long wait. I have an EC tuner V-2 brake going on.
I'll have to start all over with my handloads. Everything I have is tuned to the BA 20". If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll break it in and begin load development for the new barrel. By tonight I'll have 300 rounds loaded in 168 SMK's 175 SMK's and 178 ELD's and I'm dying to test them.
My best groups with handloads with the ballistics advantage 20" was .75". I expect that to improve with the 24" Krieger, by how much ? I don't know. It's coming down to the nut behind the stock now.
42.5-43.0 varget, 210M, 175 smk, Lake City match case. 5 shots .750” @ 200 yrds. 👍

I'll have to start all over with my handloads. Everything I have is tuned to the BA 20".
What happens if the Krieger likes your existing handloads the best?

What happens if the Krieger likes your existing handloads the best?
I hope it does and that's what I'm starting with just because I have the data. I'm hoping I can run a little faster. The BA barrel just didn't like hot or warmer loads. My most consistent are 175 SMK's with reloader 15.5 or 15.0 at 42.0 - 42.3 grains.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger