• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 in 260 Rem - Build or Buy?

CNJarvis

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2014
OKC
I'm interested in picking up an AR10 type platform for a hunting and LR rig and what I think I want is essentially a DPMS 260H setup. Should I simply buy the DPMS and go shooting or can I build something any "better" for the same money? My budget will be $1500 or less, optics excluded.

Are you going into it with the understanding that this is basically a reloader's caliber in gas guns?

It's hard to beat the Armalite .260 Rem 22" rifle off the shelf. It has a .068" firing pin hole, springed firing pin, and the mags allow for loading longer COL.

That is the way I would go. 6.5CM was designed with gassers in mind.

My understanding is that it was designed with bolt guns in mind, especially with the Superformance powder, which is not ideal for gas-operated rifles, but works beautifully in bolt guns.

Factory ammo run through gassers seems to confirm this to date. I have yet to see any .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor AR10's that spit out clean brass without flattened primers, ejector shadow or extrusion, and often cratering and even the occasional blown primers (with factory ammunition).

Last edited:
I wouldn't even consider Superformance anything. I just don't like it. There are some custom ammo companies that are getting it right for the gassers. Copper Creek and McCort.

I went through the same thought when I first decided I wanted an AR10 type rifle. I wanted a .260 Remington initially. The more I researched, the more I found that 6.5 Creedmoor was the better round for a gas gun. My budget is about twice yours, but I still considered the DPMS LR65 or LR260 because of the great reviews they have. I ultimately decided to build a 6.5 Creedmoor and am in the beginning phase of collecting the parts I want. If I had your budget, I would have just bought the DPMS LR65. Very hard to find one, however.

There are a lot of guys on this site that have already gone down this road years and years ago. I am one of them.

Started with DPMS LR-260. Weight is a beast, accuracy wasn't what I wanted for 1000-1200m.

I had GA Precision build me a custom .260 Rem. with a Bartlein barrel. It shoots like this at 100yds, 5rd groups.

I chose .260 Rem because of brass availability. If you reload for it, it's great.

I'll do some more research on the differences btn the two. I don't suppose I really have a preference.

I am a handloader and I have quite a bit of 243 and 308 brass laying around as well as 3 or 4 powders on hand that are suitable so factory ammo availability isn't a huge concern.

LLRPF2 have you tried any H4350? My .260 bolt loves it. I've found it to be extremely stable and my favorite. I tried H4831sc but couldn't get the velocity I liked. I run 42.2g of H4350 in Norma brass with 140 Bergers at 2770 in a 24" Krieger 1-8.5".

OP- you can't go wrong with 6.5 creed ore or .260rem. There are differences but since I started shooting the 6.5mms I want to throw rocks the .30s. All will treat you right. I too have thought of a .260rem gas gun. Hmmmm....

LLRPF2 have you tried any H4350? My .260 bolt loves it. I've found it to be extremely stable and my favorite. I tried H4831sc but couldn't get the velocity I liked. I run 42.2g of H4350 in Norma brass with 140 Bergers at 2770 in a 24" Krieger 1-8.5".

OP- you can't go wrong with 6.5 creed ore or .260rem. There are differences but since I started shooting the 6.5mms I want to throw rocks the .30s. All will treat you right. I too have thought of a .260rem gas gun. Hmmmm....

H4350 is my go-to powder with the 130gr VLD.

Go with 6.5 CM & try it out, if you can't get it to do what you want, you can run a 260 reamer in it & have a 260 to play with. I have both in bolt guns, the 6.5 CM shoots the 130 VLD's real good but not the 139 or 142. The 260 will shoot them all real good.

Went looking for one today at my LGS. They didn't have one and neither did 3 or 4 of their distributors. I know they checked Accusport, Lipsey's and RSR Distributing. DPMS shows them out of stock as well. Guess it's OK 'cause I can't afford to jump on one immediately anyway. I have a feeling that by the time I can locate one, I'll be able to afford it...

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!

I'm also kicking around the idea of building a 6?mm AR rifle. Any recommendations on someone who could get me a barrel and bolt?

Went looking for one today at my LGS. They didn't have one and neither did 3 or 4 of their distributors. I know they checked Accusport, Lipsey's and RSR Distributing. DPMS shows them out of stock as well. Guess it's OK 'cause I can't afford to jump on one immediately anyway. I have a feeling that by the time I can locate one, I'll be able to afford it...

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!

I shoot a DPMS 260 rem now, but I'll be moving to a 260 ackley when this barrel is done. More case capacity and you can push the 140's ~150 fps faster.

I don't think you can go wrong with a DPMS 260 to start with though. Very accurate out of the box, you just need to get rid of the factory trigger.

I shoot a DPMS 260 rem now, but I'll be moving to a 260 ackley when this barrel is done. More case capacity and you can push the 140's ~150 fps faster.

I don't think you can go wrong with a DPMS 260 to start with though. Very accurate out of the box, you just need to get rid of the factory trigger.

what speed are you getting out of your 260, & powder please

Bought a DPMS LR-260, 24" for $1200. Dropped a RRA trigger into it. Shoots VERY well. I reload, and have a great recipe for 140 Amax's. Holds it's own with my buddies bolt gun out at around 1000. A very affordable way to get started. Spend some money on optics. Just saying'.

I highly recommend the Lilja 24" .260 barrel.
+1 on Lilja 260 barrels. Re-barrel a DPMS 308 and get a good trigger. You may have to increase your budget a little though, 308/260 AR's are not cheap.

I have yet to see any .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor AR10's that spit out clean brass without flattened primers, ejector shadow or extrusion, and often cratering and even the occasional blown primers
These are very overgassed. You could get and adjustable gas block or Tubbs CWS to remedy. My brass looks great after I installed the CWS, big extractor swipes before.

I don't think 6.5CM will give you any benefit over 260 (& vice versa). 123SMK's or lighter 6.5's can go go pretty fast out of a 260/6.5CM gas gun and have more room for powder than longer bullets. I have been using 142SMK/139Scenar/140Hybrids in mine with great accuracy, but just because I have them and I am lazy...