• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10/LR308 Reference Material

WeHunt

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2013
I just bought a MEGA MATEN upper/lower yesterday and I need to learn a lot before I buy anything else or start building. I have experience with AR15 builds but not AR10/LR308. I don't even know enough to ask good questions yet. I'm looking for a good general reference on AR10/LR308 (on-line or the old-fashioned way) so I can learn to crawl first, before I start searching for answers or asking specific questions. I plan to use the rifle for deer and hog hunting, and someday long range target shooting. Thanks in advance for your reference material suggestions.

I noticed there are a lot of current or ex military and also LE on this forum -- thank you for your service.

Try Zediker's and Derrick Martin's books. Zediker's has details on Dave Tubb's SR25 builds.

big_gun_two600.jpg

9780967094847.jpg

If you can build/assemble an AR-15, then conceptually, a large-frame AR is really no different.

Yes, there are different parts and different tools required, different torque specs, etc., etc., etc., but the process is generally identical in terms of what contributes to a "precision" AR-platform rifle.

Now, with that said, the above-cited works are very good primers on getting the most out of an AR-platform rifle. Similarly, the following online reference materials should help you depending on the specific information you are seeking.

http://megaarms.com/maten/ - Mega's own site which has a fairly comprehensive listing of compatibility issues/parts, FAQs, etc.

AR Variants - AR15.COM - This is the BARFCOM "AR Variants" specific sub-forum which contains a LOT of information on .308 ARs and similar "large-frame" AR platform rifles, including tips/tricks for builds, etc., as well as a good bit of info on the Maten itself.

The BIG Mega MaTen Answer thread (FAQ covering LPK, Barrels, Bolts, Stocks, EXT) Check here first! - AR15.COM - This is the BARFCOM infamous "Maten FAQ" thread which is now a massive 45+ pages long with info from around 11/10 through present. As with all things BARFCOM, you'll have to sort through all the bravado and keyboard commando BS to get to the answers you might be looking for, but there's a good bit of info to be had.

Finally, once you have a better grasp on the questions you think you want/need answered, I encourage you to come back here and ask (especially before you wade into the BARFCOM arena to post any questions). There are lots of highly proficient shooters/competitors, professionals, as well as smiths, hobbyists and generally all walks in between that have a wealth of knowledge and information that may prove useful to you in your current project, as well as assisting you once you begin getting into longer ranges and precision fire with an AR-platform rifle. If you feel unsure of yourself in terms of the questions you want to ask and don't want to post anything up at this point being new here, feel free to drop me a PM with them and I'll do my best to respond to you or at least try to get you moving/thinking in the right direction or help you frame up a question (or 2 or 10) that you can post up for some input from the masses.

Welcome aboard and congrats on getting rolling with your new Mega build!

your MATEN is a high profile when you go shopping for hand guards. DPMS changed and there was never a standard. the low profile is measured at 1/8" and the high or standard is 3/16" or so? you will need a 308 lower parts kit. some basic tools and you should be good. I have built a few now, its pretty addictive. feel free to ask any questions. oh, this is dpms pattern. its not ar10. shouldn't matter too much except in handguard shopping

w8u9og.jpg

You will need a 308 lower parts kit. oh, this is dpms pattern. its not ar10. shouldn't matter too much except in handguard shopping

You can use an Ar15 lower parts kit, but will need a larger 308 version bolt catch. The 15's catch will "work" apparently but barely catches and is prone to breaking; i have yet to try it and just use the 308 versions. Be mindful what barrel you buy and be sure to match the barrel "format" to the bolt "format". Armalite and DPMS use two different specs and a DPMS bolt wont headspace properly with an Armalite barrel, and vise verse.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I got some pointers from the salesperson that sold me the Mega MATEN but I have definitely got some additional good tips above, plus one of the books Gunny recommended just arrived so I should be in good shape for a while. Thanks again.

also I cant recall, but I think the bolt catch comes on the MATEN already installed. pins installed. you end up with a lot of extra parts, lol. I used a timney and that generated more unused parts. but I think buying the stuff you do use separately is just as much as a parts kit or more. I just got a second upper built, I just need a hand guard. view my posts and you can see some of the models available.