• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR10 or AR15

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
Can't decide which way to go, either 308 or 223.
On one hand the 308 gives more distance and energy, but I am thinking at that point I would just go with a bolt rifle. And as far as home defense, I am just using an 18"+ shotgun, and 45 ACP. So for 100-500yards, what is the preferred platform for those on this site to have if you had to choose between the two. I have longrange rifles, but am looking to get an AR.

Re: AR10 or AR15

ar-15 in 6.5grendel

ar-10 in 260

you have a lot of other caliber choices other than just 223 or 308

Is money an issue? If not .260 or .308. If so .223/5.56 ( I prefer to shoot my guns and not just look at em). best of luck

In true Hide fashion...my advice is for you to get one of each!!!
wink.gif

The 308 will get you more in terms of terminal ballistics and range, but, with all things bigger and better...it'll cost you more up front as AR-10 type rifles tend to be around 25% more expensive than an average AR-15 rifle and cost more in the long run in terms of ammo (even if you reload...the 308 will cost more to reload than a .223).

It all really depends on what you want to do with the rifle 500yds and in which was your stated ranges for it. If you are punching paper, ringing steel, varmints, and just plinking...then I'd go 5.56/223 without a doubt. If you plan on hunting anything larger than varmints/yotes/etc. (like deer-size game) out to 500yds, then the larger calibers are a much better option.

The 6.5 Grendel is a good compromise as it offers excellent long-range performance and terminal ballistics than the .223 but remains in the smaller/lighter AR-15 platform. BUT...I wouldn't do a 6.5G unless you reload as ammo is expensive and can be a PITA to find at times. You also won't get the most out of the cartridge with factory ammo as you can with reloads.

I don't plan on hunting anything bigger than yotes with it. And 500 and in is correct. I have a 300WM for longer and larger game. I do reload my rifle ammo. I am looking at getting a Dillon 550 setup for whatever AR I buy. Mainly looking for a rig as a possible 3gun setup in the future if it starts to get popular in the midwest, and as a SHTF senario.

From what it sounds like you are going to use it for ... I would go .223. Thats the same reasoning why I want one in .223 anyway

With all that in mind, I don't see how you could go wrong with the AR-15 in 223/5.56.

Plus, unless you want to run in the "Heavy Metal" 3-gun divisions/matches...the AR-10 or any semi-auto 308 is completely unnecessary. You'll be far better served with an AR-15 for 3-gunning (regardless of whether you go irons or optics) versus the AR-10.

A man should have a 5.56 AR. Then he should worry about getting other calibers, odd stuff.

Do you want to get the platform that everyone runs, ammo is cheap and ubiqitous, mags are cheap and reliable, nearly everything is interchangeable among different brands, a weapon that is a totally known quantity for a very good reason? Get a 5.56 AR. It beats a shotgun for home defense in nearly every situation unless you're worried about what a jury thinks. Then a plain jane shotgun might be better.

Range up to 500yds, the 223 with 75/77grs is perfect.
Get a fast twist barrel 1/8-1/7".

You can shoot cheap ammo for short range and use match ammo past 300yds.
The barrel length will determine the max range. 24"=1 000yds(paper targets)

6.5 Grendel upper in the future toping the lower you already have.

COLT AR15 would be a good choice for the 1st. If you decide on a second, then the AR10 would be nice - in that order.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to go with a 223 with at least a 1:8x to shoot the 77gr. I am looking at the RRA predator pursuit at tis point. What are the advantages of the 5.56 over the 223 ? I would assume the components cost about the same.

In uppers chambered for .223, only .223 can and should shoot only .223 ammo. Uppers chambered in 5.56/.223, can shoot either 5.56 or .223 rounds. The reason for this is the 5.56 utilizes higher pressures than what the .223 does (according to the SAAMI specs). HTH.

RR has an option for a Wylde chamber for both. I would go 5.56 or Wylde and not limit yourself in the future. All the better priced bulk ammo is 5.56. Personally I would get a 5.56 AR first with a twist for 77gr bullets and it will be very good to 500. Then go ahead and start picking out the .308 you will want to buy next!

For what your doing 5.56 all the way.A 16" SPR type rifle shooting 68-77 gr ammo is good to 500yds easy.You'll be able to shoot alot more for alot less money.

If you don't yet have an AR-15, then that is what you should go for. Here's what an AR-15 has going for it vs an AR-10:

1. Rifle is cheaper and ammo is cheaper
2. Lighter
3. More reliable
4. Less breakage

Of course, any 308-based cartridge will have better ballistics and energy: epecially out past 400 yards. But, I'd go with a bolt action for the larger calibers.

the difference between the .223 and 5.56 really is the throat. The .223 has a shorter throat which allows a shorter span for the bullets to "jump" the milspec 5.56 has a long throat which aids in shooting the occasional overpressure round and higher pressures loads. some say it is because the 5.56 was designed for heavier bullets to but I don't think this. the best is the wylde chamber which is a short throat like a .223 but the chamber is a larger diameter which allows for extra pressure like from milspec ammo. Every company has a wylde chamber type design usally. I shoot my .223 wylde 77 smk 2850 FPS(max load) 1000yds all the time only difference I have compared to my .308 is more wind adjustments.

My first AR platform was a 308, it was an Armalite I bought about 8 years ago and it was a POS. It jammed with almost all ammo. I now have a GA Precision DPMS 308 which functions flawlessly. However IMO an AR-15 is much more fun to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and better for SD although for the home a shotgun or pistol is much more realistic and safe. If you din't want to fork over money for optics the 15 is a better choice too. If it were me I'd get the 15 then when you can get a 10.