• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Platform - Larue OBR or JP LRP-07

estapleton302

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2017
NOVA
I didn't some search and have heard good things on both. But I'd like to here from those that have one or the other or who may have shot both platforms. I'm really looking to see which platform can reach out for accuracy in the 1000 yard range in either 6.5/260 cal with great accuracy. I have shot the OBR in 308 and was impressed with the fit, finish and accuracy, but the recent review of the JP LRP on SnipersHide looked pretty awesome too. Opinions? Thanks.

This question has been addressed a billion times on this forum. If it were me, I’d either get a JP or a GAP-10, in that order.

This question has been addressed a billion times on this forum. If it were me, I’d either get a JP or a GAP-10, in that order.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I have two shooting buddies who own OBR'S and PredatARs and I've had a few as well, all have had to be Rebarreled, ambi controls installed and properly tuned. But!! Once you do the work they are AWESOME...lol

So far my favorite have been a PredatAR 7.62 Rebarreled with 22 Bartlein from CLE/ SLR AGB and JP Heavy SCS.

Last edited:
I've been very pleased with my Larue PredatOBR with the 16" 308 barrel. I have a suppressor on it. It hits steel consistently way out there and the test target was less than .5" JP makes great guns too though.

I took delivery of 2 Larue's some years ago. After inspection, i decided the Larue would be a nice rifle once barrel, stock, trigger, and muzzle break were swapped for higher quality. I wasn't too into the feel of the hand guard either. I made the decision to put them back in the box, sell and bought another JP built the way I wanted it.

My recommendation would be to buy the JP. JP components are second to none, shoot very good, and are beautiful rifles that you will enjoy owning.

Yes I imagine it has been discussed a lot since they are both premiere platforms. However, the search feature rarely returns with the information I am looking for when I searched Larue Vs JP. Just looking for actual owners of either or those with opinion on one or the other. I appreciate the replies.

You should look at Seekins too, everyone seems to like them and the price isn't quite as steep as Larue/Gap/JP etc.

I'm not a big fan of the large, heavy, longer barreled AR10s. If I were buying right now it'd probably be one of larues kit rifles in 16 or 18 for 1200 bucks. It's a neat setup for roughly the price of an off the shelf DPMS rifle.

Owned almost every type of gas big AR gun. 3 larues, a GAP, KAC...blah blah blah. Get the fuckin JP and call it done. Only thing to change on the JP is the trigger - get a triggertech.

Reactions: bigjake83
I've only owned (and still own) one large frame AR and that's a JP. While there might be a few others out there that are just as good, hard for me to imagine there is currently anything better. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. I will probably pick up another one in the not too distant future.

JP all the way. Had a Black Rain BCG fail for me, BR was out of their BCG so they gave me a JP LMOS BCG. That let me to a SCS and a Adj gas block from JP. Which then led me into a PSC-12 in 260 that can make hits at 1400 yards and shoot sub moa at 100yrds. Anything inside 1000 yards is an easy hit after you get your windage down.
Onky problem with a JP is that you will love it and want to either buy more JP parts for all of your ARs or go and buy more complete JP rifles.
I have been converted and will never look back.

I love all my JP rifles. And I have had many AR15, Ar308 rifles in my safe. Never a LaRue though. The JPs are not cheap but the money spent is on quality and innovation. They do things just a little bit different. And thats a good thing.

Reactions: svxwilson
I have a friend who is heavily involved in the firearms industry, engineering guy, knows his shit by a long shot. I was actually asking him about a rifle build when he turned me on to JP. He informed me that he had purchased two OBR's but he could not get them to perform like he believed they would. He said he attempted to address the concerns with LaRue, but that did not go as well he thought (this was a few years ago now). In frustration, he replaced all of the barrel and guts of both rifles with JP products and then obtained the performance he was expecting.

On my buddy's recommendation, I purchased a JP. I own an LRP in .260. It shot so well and I was so impressed with it's accuracy, I ended up grabbing a JP15 in 5.56. There is no doubt about it, they are precision rifles. The other awesome aspect of JP rifles is their gas system. They make it very easy to stay on target or make your own corrections.

I'm not saying this to talk shit on LaRue products, I think they make great rifles and I will own one or two at some point. After what I have personally experienced with JP's products, it is easy to recommend them for a precision semi-auto.

Grab the JP, if you're disappointed, sell it and get the LaRue.

Reactions: bigjake83
I have 2 JP's nothing beats them. Quality, Accuracy, Reliability and Customer Service are the Best out there Period.

I personally have LaRue, LMT and KAC .308 gas guns. I have been quite happy. Mark has a bit of an attitude, but I think he builds a good gun in the OBR. I would put LMT above LaRue. I have no experience with JP, as I tend to build and buy military guns in .308. Sounds like the group has spoken loudly in favor of JP.

I have always seen JP as a parts company, and I am not a fan of building .308AR guns from parts. I thought the same of Seekins, but when I went to visit their booth at SHOTSHOW last week, I was hoping to look at scope rings, and they had wall to wall rifles. Things change.