• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 SASS trials upper.

Leon187

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2010
Oregon
Hello all!

I just recently purchased my first AR10 style rifle. Actually, I went with the real AR10.. a Armalite.
The person I purchased it from claims this was a surplus upper built for the Army SASS trials. I tried to do some background checks with Armalite and they were less then helpful.
So, does anyone know anything about the uppers Armalite built for the SASS trials? Is mine authentic?
From what I can tell its an AR10T carbine with an adjustable gas block and picatinny handguard.
Is there more to this rifle than that? Its got a thick ss barrel and shoots sub MOA. Any information on this rifle would be appreciated. I attached a picture, if that helps.

[img:center][/img]

Re: AR10 SASS trials upper.

I am not aware of any 16" barreled rifles being submitted for consideration.

Also, according to Armalite, the SASS adjustable gas system is NOT suitable for use on a Carbine. It should only be used on rifle-length gas systems. You can find this information in their Tech Notes (I don't recall which one, but you should be able to find it on their website).

All things considered, I would say that someone put that one together from parts.

I know that you contacted Armalite directly and weren't pleased with the results you got. If you can put up with the environment, I suggest that you head over to AR15.COM. Go to the "Industry" forums and look for Armalite's dedicated area. Post your question there and an Armalite rep should respond. They are pretty vigilant about responding to posts within less than 24hrs.

If it shoots as well as you say it does and functions reliably, I wouldn't worry about its provenance unless you paid extra for the upper for the priviledge of having an alleged "SASS Trial" leftover.

I had one of the SASS's that Armalite entered into the bid, it was a "test" gun but it was the first run of 500 that Armalite did to offset their cost a little bit, shot good, wish i had never gotten rid of it. That though is not a SASS Trial upper, you probably wont get your hands on one

The seller was not being honest with you, but that is a nice weapon nonetheless.

Wow! thanks for the helpful and rapid responses

For a used AR1O carbine... I probably over paid. I bought it via gunbroker so I'm going to file a claim with them. The seller has covered up some other things and were already butting heads.

I also posted on the industry forums at ARF.com like you suggested.

what did the seller cover up, and would you post a link of his ad, or at least how he described it?

He removed the adjustable gas block, which is a $200-300 part, and replaced it with a $60 picatinny gas block. I told him that I wanted the gas block that was pictured in the ad. He said "whoops" and mailed it to me. When I put it on the rifle, the rifle would not cycle. He said something about how the carbines don't work well with that gas block.
Basically he knew the rifle wouldn't function with that gas block and, I believe, sent the rifle without it to try and cover it up and buy time until I leave a good review or to much time passes before I can file and insurance claim with GB. Not to mention he took him 2.5 weeks to get the rifle to me.

So, after that, I'm concerned he may of lied about the orgin of the rifle. Its on a Noveske lower, so I cant tell really anything about the upper because there is no serial # from armalite on it.

If you mailed the payment through the postal service I'm fairly sure you can make a complaint with the post office for fraud. I would contact your local PO and ask them if they can do anything to help.

What do you mean fraud? Because he knew it didn't function correctly as shown in the ad?

Btw, you guys rock. Still waiting for Armalite to respond on ar15.com /Industry forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you mailed the payment through the postal service I'm fairly sure you can make a complaint with the post office for fraud. I would contact your local PO and ask them if they can do anything to help. </div></div>

That is sound advice if things come to it. It is a lot of bureaucratic red tape, but it is an option.

It sounds like the seller was a real POS. Untruthful about the origins of the upper, bait and switch on the SASS gas block, unexplained delays, etc. Best of luck to you on getting satisfaction from the seller and more info on your upper.

ETA (in response to your questions): It is "fraud" because he knowingly/intentionally misrepresented the true nature of item that he sold to you in the stream of interstate commerce.

Thanks again guys. The seller and I have been butting heads on this rifle for weeks. I thought as soon as I showed the evidence to him he would roll over and work on a solution. He's calling me a liar and I shouldn't be accusing him. For a little while there I felt like maybe he was correct. Its nice having some intelligent and neutral parties helping me with this.
As soon as I get some information from Armalite, verifying that this is just an AR10t carbine, I'm going to file an insurance claim with Gunbroker that will pay out at most $400. I think that will offset the premium I paid for a SASS trial upper. But, if for some whacked out reason GB sides with the seller... I'll bring out the big gun and file fraud with the post office.
The odd thing is this guy is a Medical doctor.

Just because he has the intelligence to make it through medical school and actually practice medicine doesn't mean anything in terms of his character/moral compass/etc.

Out of curiosity, is this the rifle in question:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=165359450

If that is the correct auction, you didn't get a bad deal in terms of what you have in hand (obviously you got rooked in terms of what you ended up with versus what you were promised by the seller).

10T Carbine upper - $950 (or so...even with just a 10T barrel and complete A4 upper and the parts to complete an upper, you still did ok)
Noveske Stipped Lower - $400
LPK - $75 (or so)
RRA 2-stage Trigger - $90 (or so)

Just in parts alone, you are beating your purchase price of around $1200 shipped. I know that doesn't soften the blow, but its something...

Yeah, I was hoping for better deal, but your right. Also, I really purchased it for shooting suppressed. Otherwise I would of bought something with a longer barrel.
How did you find the ad?

When your sign into gunbroker you can do a search for sass and in the right side you can choose current auctions, new within 24 or 48 hrs or completed auctions. I search it all the time to compare prices.

Can I ask what the gun does when you use the adjustable gas block?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leon187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I was hoping for better deal, but your right. Also, I really purchased it for shooting suppressed. Otherwise I would of bought something with a longer barrel.
How did you find the ad? </div></div>

My search-fu is STRONG!! (and I have been using GunBroker since its inception and I know how to search for closed/ended auctions...also the pic you posted is identical to one of the pics in the auction).
wink.gif

As for shooting suppressed with an AR-10 Carbine, get a Gasbuster CH, a Slash XH buffer, and fire away (see links below). Also, I think that Noveske is working on what they call a Swicthblock adjustable gas block for the 7.62 rifles (they have them for 5.56 and 6.8...no joy on 7.62 yet).

http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.m...ry_Code=308_ACC

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/switchblock/

I don't know about the "trial" part, but that is a 16" SASS upper. The barrel is the give away...it's basically the same dimensions as an AR10T barrel with slightly different profiling in front of the gas block, and of course, only 16" long and threaded. I built an upper around that same barrel which I bought from 762.SASS, using a standard gas block. (It's the adjustable gas block that makes it an SASS rifle...Special Adjustable Sniper System). It should cycle fine with the adjustable gas block if it's functioning properly. It's possible to buy all the parts for the adjustable gas block and build one yourself...maybe that's what this guy did and didn't get it assembled correctly. They're easy enough to take apart and inspect.
Armalite AR10 "carbines" are actually a mid length gas system.
ETA: The handguards are also specific to the SASS as they have a special cut out at the end to accomodate the adjustable gas block. These could also be bought seperately from Armalite a while back.

I believe Armalite had some SASS carbine uppers for sale a year or so back. I don't think they were sold with the adjustable gas block, as Armalite claimed operation was unreliable with it.

By the way the seller worded his ad, it doesn't sound like he misrepresented it. He states "A factory Armalite suppressor gas block assembly has been added to allow the use of a suppressor. I have the standard piccitany gas block that Armalite provided as well."
"The upper is all factory Armalite as it was delivered from Armalite, again with the exception of the gas block."

By reading that, I'd clearly figure that he added the adjustable gas block himself.

Here is one of those uppers for sale in a completed ad on GB. It's probably the same thing you got. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166256300

I have one of the uppers. My best friend was at Camp Perry when he called me and told me Armalite had these uppers there for sale.If I can remember correctly what he told me they made these to test out for a 16" SASS. The Army said they didnt want the 16". They sold what they had made at Camp Perry and a few online in online special. They did not sell the whole rifles just the uppers. Mine looks just like the one in gun broker add. Mine does not have adj gas block. And it came with a FH not a brake.