• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 vs 700

MarkAK92

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
Not sure if this is the proper location or not. I am looking at either building a AR10 or buying and working on a Rem 700. Criteria I'm looking at 4 to 5 pound trigger, at least a 24 inch barrel, suppressible, and looking to reach out 500 to 1000 yards. Thanks for any help yall can provide.

Re: AR10 vs 700

What is your question? A bolt vs a semi are two totally different animals.

I know they're to different beast. My question, which one would be better suited to meet the criteria I had in mind? I know bolt action is more accurate, but I like the ability to follow up with a second shot quicker. Thanks

A gas gun can shoot sub moa, so i guess the question is how accurate does it need to be? I love my gas gun and wouldn't trade for a bolt. One downside is you can use alot of ammo quick with a gas gun.

what are you "reaching out" at that is 500 or 1000 yards away and how much are you willing to spend to do it?

edit: large frame gas guns are harder to learn on than a bolt. also lots of target shoots I've been to 600 and 1000 were single shot hand fed so gas gun felt kind of pointless...

I'm wanting it mostly for target and when SHTF. The total money part really isnt a big thing right now, due to this being one of those build as I go projects. I know the 700 is bout half the price, which may make it a cheaper project, but would the finale product be better than the AR10 or is the extra money worth it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wanting it mostly for target and when SHTF. The total money part really isnt a big thing right now, due to this being one of those build as I go projects. I know the 700 is bout half the price, which may make it a cheaper project, but would the finale product be better than the AR10 or is the extra money worth it? </div></div>
Well if its the SHTF gun then you should buy an AR-15 which will go out to 800 yards. Plus if SHTF do you think you would need anything that can reach way out? Anyone who would shoot a person who they found to be a threat at that distance would be a scum bag. Point is I think you can find the answers you seek at ARFCOM and make sure to buy some Zombie ammo from hornady.

If ya read it said mostly for target. I was thinking the versatility of it for the SHTF, due to the 308 having more knock down than a 5.56. I cant think of a reason that a person would have to be dealt with at 800 yards, unless there was a situation that allowing them close would cause great bodily harm. On the Zombbie splat, I think TAP would work just as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wanting it mostly for target and when SHTF. The total money part really isnt a big thing right now, due to this being one of those build as I go projects. I know the 700 is bout half the price, which may make it a cheaper project, but would the finale product be better than the AR10 or is the extra money worth it? </div></div>
Well if its the SHTF gun then you should buy an AR-15 which will go out to 800 yards. Plus if SHTF do you think you would need anything that can reach way out? Anyone who would shoot a person who they found to be a threat at that distance would be a scum bag. Point is I think you can find the answers you seek at ARFCOM and make sure to buy some Zombie ammo from hornady. </div></div>

LOL!!!

OK, here's a serious answer. First off, any weapon you have can be used for the SHTF scenarios, but really those situations are just delusions from watching too many movies. Mentioning SHTF turns a lot of members off from answering your questions, so it's usually best to just keep those thoughts to yourself.

Zombies? Dude, I hope you're just joking but if not you really need to put down the remote and rejoin reality.

As for the weapon choice. You want it for long range target shooting. No brainer, get the bolt action. By asking this question I'm pretty sure your shooting and marksmanship experience are at the lower end of the spectrum. A bolt action is much easier to develop the fundamentals on over a semi auto. Master the basics, then move on to the higher skill levels.

For the followup shots, with practice you can manipulate the bolt on a Rem 700 very fast. Four shot 100yd dot drills in the sub eight second category are the norm for shooters who practice, and I've seen it down as low as six seconds from an expert lefty on a right hand bolt, all hits on 1.5moa dots. The semi autos don't bring a serious followup advantage until you're rolling CQB distances or multiple targets requiring a higher mag capacity than ten rounds when racing a clock. Everything else comes down to recoil management to stay on target for that next shot.

My marksmanship experience is limited. I've grown up shooting mostly semi auto, with the occasional bolt action, that's why I was looking at the AR10, but know that bolt actions are more accurate, that's the reason for the 700. Zombies, were never mentioned till strangedays brought it up. My SHTF scenario is the Chinese coming to collect on our debts, which is something possible, not zombies.

I just sold a Dpms sass to have a bolt built! I like the feel of a bolt gun better. But if the SHTF I would much rather have a 20 round mag to sling lead!

Bolt for accuracy hands down. I sold my bolt for a semi since my hunting here is more based around close range deer and coyotes so a 6x45 fits me better then 308. Only reason I went to a gasser. (love both platforms though)

I have both and shoot both. I say if you are asking the question, go with the bolt gun. If there is a deficiency in your shooting skills the auto loader will magnify it and cost you ammo in the long run.

In reference to the speed comment, have you ever seen how fast an expert bolt gunner can engage targets? Where the auto takes an advantage is when you are in funky positions and can't run the bolt clear, or when you are moving into position and have to engage at contact range.

Lastly.....did you pick you barrel length out of a hat? My 20" Noveske rocks 178's out at 2700fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wanting it mostly for target and when SHTF. The total money part really isnt a big thing right now, due to this being one of those build as I go projects. I know the 700 is bout half the price, which may make it a cheaper project, but would the finale product be better than the AR10 or is the extra money worth it? </div></div>
Well if its the SHTF gun then you should buy an AR-15 which will go out to 800 yards. Plus if SHTF do you think you would need anything that can reach way out? Anyone who would shoot a person who they found to be a threat at that distance would be a scum bag. Point is I think you can find the answers you seek at ARFCOM and make sure to buy some Zombie ammo from hornady.</div></div>

ROFL! That is pretty funny, and accurate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if this is the proper location or not. I am looking at either building a AR10 or buying and working on a Rem 700. Criteria I'm looking at 4 to 5 pound trigger, at least a 24 inch barrel, suppressible, and looking to reach out 500 to 1000 yards. Thanks for any help yall can provide. </div></div>

You need both, no question about it.
GAP 10 and Accuracy International AW
Outfit both with Hensoldt ZF 3-12x56 SSG-P's and Atlas bipods.

Yes, I fully realize this will be an expensive proposition. But like they say, if you want to run with the big dogs...

Send a PM to Boltripper, too. He's our resident expert in the field of weapon diversification.

SHTF... oh lord! If SHTF your best bet is to stay out of site and save the "Call of Duty" shenanigans for paintball.

On topic, get a good bolt in .308 and work on your marksmanship skills. While there is plenty to think about when shooting a bolt gun well, there is much more involved when you move to a 308AR platform. Everyone needs a good bolt in .308, it's the standard.

holy shit man what the f, this is gonna get epic quick. anyhow my .02 is buy a sks sniper rifle wearing a ffp countersniper mildot and krylon that badass a nice flektard pattern ftw. then read up on spindrift and coriolis, youll need it.

You just made it epic, A SKS sniper, man that is playin with the big dogs there. This gun would be like every other gun I own, I didnt buy them to shoot a person, but if the needs arises, they are there to defend my family, life and home. That is what this gun purchase is going to be used for. I'm surprised yall didnt just mention buyin a 50 so I could take out their zombie trucks. On the barrel lenght, that seems to be what alot of match barels are.

Before this goes epic and gets locked, a word of advice.

God gave us two eyes, two ears and one mouth......
One can only assume his intent was for us to look and listen twice as much as we talk.......

If no one has pointed this link out to you yet, it would be a good time to do so, it makes your SEARCH FOO EPIC!

SEARCH SNIPERSHIDE THE EASY WAY
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Send a PM to Boltripper, too. He's our resident expert in the field of weapon diversification.
</div></div>

LMAO! that will go well.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if this is the proper location or not. I am looking at either building a AR10 or buying and working on a Rem 700. Criteria I'm looking at 4 to 5 pound trigger, at least a 24 inch barrel, suppressible, and looking to reach out 500 to 1000 yards. Thanks for any help yall can provide. </div></div>

You need both, no question about it.
GAP 10 and Accuracy International AW
Outfit both with Hensoldt ZF 3-12x56 SSG-P's and Atlas bipods.

Yes, I fully realize this will be an expensive proposition. But like they say, if you want to run with the big dogs...

</div></div>

lol......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before this goes epic and gets locked, a word of advice.

One can only assume his intent was for us to look and listen twice as much as we talk.......

If no one has pointed this link out to you yet, it would be a good time to do so, it makes your SEARCH FOO EPIC!

SEARCH SNIPERSHIDE THE EASY WAY
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en </div></div>

Well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You just made it epic, A SKS sniper, man that is playin with the big dogs there. This gun would be like every other gun I own, I didnt buy them to shoot a person, but if the needs arises, they are there to defend my family, life and home. That is what this gun purchase is going to be used for. I'm surprised yall didnt just mention buyin a 50 so I could take out their zombie trucks. On the barrel lenght, that seems to be what alot of match barels are. </div></div>

what would dolph lundgren do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before this goes epic and gets locked, a word of advice.

One can only assume his intent was for us to look and listen twice as much as we talk.......</div></div>
But he gave us 10 fingers,,, so that they can do all the rambling....
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington M700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, SWFA SS10x42, 2 cases of match .308, and practice.</div></div>

This sounds like a great idea.

Hummm. I don't know, ask the same question so I went out and got both, if I ever figure it out I will let you know....

I think for SHTF unless you have an M82 and get some custom 30 round mags or maybe a belt feed conversion you are fucked. Also buy a shrike belt feed as your backup because you need the belt feed to lay down suppressive fire when your barret runs out of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington M700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, SWFA SS10x42, 2 cases of match .308, and practice. </div></div>

This would be an excellent start. As you get more experience, invest in a better stock and later a better scope. After you shoot your two cases of match ammo, invest in a custom barrel. That 700 will just keep getting better and better and you will too.

My Remington 700 is immensely more useful for long range out to 1000-ish than an AR. Out to 100 - 200 yards, they're pretty equal. However, my scope on any semi gets jostled more than on my 700.

I usually dont bother in these threads, but I have alot of pc time on my hands so why not..

either gas or bolt can be built to be of match quality, why people say bolt guns are more accurate then a gas gun suprises me. If I have a 3/4 moa gas gun, and a 3/4 moa bolt gun , then they are the same in accuracy.

Second. SHTF. Really? I mean really? Do people actually take this into consideration?
And if we can learn anything from afganistan, is that if it comes to fighting a modern army, with a civilian insurgency, attack them with firearms wil get you fucked up right quik. Your better off learning about digging and expolosives.

SHTF... fuck my face. It must be in the water

Right now, this is nothing but an expensive range toy. With its 24" Obermeyer barrel, it is capable of .5MOA. It is one of the finest weapon systems built by KAC. It's intent purpose is to be able to engage targets quickly and accurately. It does that very well.

004-8.jpg

KAC SR-25 Match/Mk11 Mod 0 (factory built)

I used to have a 700p with the 24in barrel. WIth everything it weighed about 14lbs. I just got a Noveske N6 with 21in barrel. It weighs the same and is a little shorter. I personally like the N6 better, but my input would be if you decide to go with the AR10, don't get a 24in barrel. You'll regret it if you ever decide to do anything other than bench shooting with it. I would stick between 18 to 21in. For the ranges you listed, you don't loose accuracy with the shorter barrel, just a little velocity. I sold the 700 due to needing money for a new house, but I got a steal on the N6 recently and love it more than the 700 FWIW.

If I had to choose between the Rem 700 and a quality AR-10, I would go with the AR-10 every time. It's no longer uncommon for an AR rifle to be 1/2 - 3/4 moa and that, in my book, is very acceptable. When you take the accuracy into consideration along with the ability to engage multiple targets at distance, for me that makes the AR-10 the clear winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SHTF. Really? I mean really? Do people actually take this into consideration?
And if we can learn anything from afganistan, is that if it comes to fighting a modern army, with a civilian insurgency, attack them with firearms wil get you fucked up right quik. Your better off learning about digging and expolosives.

SHTF... fuck my face. It must be in the water
</div></div>

Fricking EPIC! I love it dude!

A surprising amount of noise comes back out the port of my AR-15s when suppressed. I wouldn't call them hearing safe. The suppressed bolt guns I've shot have been much quieter, likely due to the locked breech. The added back pressure also quickly fills the upper receiver with soot. I'd lean toward the bolt gun if you plan to shoot suppressed a lot.

—Andreas

I have both and I shoot the crap out of both. I found for some strange reason I like things in pairs. Bought a trg then got an lmt, bought a daniel defense bought a tikka master sporter. Too bad I can't get my women like that, have a blond get a red head. Some ppl might find it redundant but different strokes for different folks. So I guess my answer is..... if it were me I would wind up getting both anyway so flip a coin and start with that.

I think you answered your question. Both can reach 500 yards, accurately, but a SHTF rifle can do it over and over very quickly.

AR-10

However, the reality is that if you are posting to Sniper's Hide, you're spending all of your disposable cash on firearms like the rest of us. So why not get both?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inthehole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wanting it mostly for target and when SHTF. The total money part really isnt a big thing right now, due to this being one of those build as I go projects. I know the 700 is bout half the price, which may make it a cheaper project, but would the finale product be better than the AR10 or is the extra money worth it? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TackleberryH3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now, this is nothing but an expensive range toy. With its 24" Obermeyer barrel, it is capable of .5MOA. It is one of the finest weapon systems built by KAC. It's intent purpose is to be able to engage targets quickly and accurately. It does that very well.

004-8.jpg

KAC SR-25 Match/Mk11 Mod 0 (factory built)</div></div>

Nice set Up, what caliber is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delta-6-five</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TackleberryH3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now, this is nothing but an expensive range toy. With its 24" Obermeyer barrel, it is capable of .5MOA. It is one of the finest weapon systems built by KAC. It's intent purpose is to be able to engage targets quickly and accurately. It does that very well.

004-8.jpg

KAC SR-25 Match/Mk11 Mod 0 (factory built)</div></div>

Nice set Up, what caliber is it? </div></div>

7.62x51 (.308)