• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ar15 break in....

Re: ar15 break in....

The new Lilja barrel for my IRA-X I just got came with break in instructions. They are as follows:

-Clean barrel after each shot for the first 10-12 shots or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel.

-Next, wet a bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. This followed by another wet patch and then one dry patch. now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all the blue mess is removed from the barrel. the copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. once it has stopped or diminished significantly its time to start shooting 5 shot groups. cleaning after each five shot group for 25-30 rounds.

This was the recommendations of the manufacturer. I figure if they recommend it, it cant be a bad idea!

break-in? What is this you speak of? Someone please post that wonderful how to properly break in a rifle video.....
As to how often to clean, it really depends on you. I was a Marine so it doesn't feel right to not clean my weapons after a range trip. Some people probably don't even own a cleaning kit, others just lube, a toothbrush, bore snake and a rag. And others vary between hundreds of rounds to thousands of rounds, whenever the rifle starts to have performance issues.

There has been a couple threads covering this topic, a quick search would of found it. My recommendation, is to shoot the hell out of it and clean after each range trip.

Rasman, you dont live to far from me, what ranges do you go to?

When I got my new RRA Elite Tactical, the first day I shot several hundred rounds through it. Took it home, cleaned it. A week or so later, I done the same thing, took it home cleaned it.

The first weeks accuracy did not change from the seconds once sighting the iron sights in. Just shoot the thing.

Shoot it bunches and have fun. Clean it when it needs it which most AR's need before it gets all gunked up and starts stove-piping.

If your AR has a chrome lined barrel I don't think you can break it in. I clean after every range and periodically if I haven't shot for awhile. Unlike a long rifle, I don't leave the barrel fowled on my AR.