• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR15 cheek weld problem. Build it up?

Monmouth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2012
Monmouth, NJ
I'm having cheek weld consistency problems on my AR. Actually, I don't have any weld since I have to "float" my face a bit to be able to see through the scope. My platform:

- AR15 rifle
- Vltor IMOD clubfoot stock
- Burris Pepr Qd mount
- SS10x42 scope

Thinking of building up a riser with strips of foam that will be later "sewn" into one of those rifle stock covers (I would modify the straps into strings). Is this ok, bad, dumb, or "stop reading the internet and just ask Monmouth"? Suggestions for another solution?

I know the easy solution is to buy a new stock such as the Magpul PRS system but trying to figure out if I can use what I have. Acutally like the stock when I use the iron sites.

Lastly, my scope is my first ever and newly mounted this past weekend. Afraid that my inconsistent cheek weld will also throw off my scope's zero due to changing head positions. Would this be true?

Re: AR15 cheek weld problem. Build it up?

How much additional height/padding on your stock/comb do you need to get the proper positioning on your scope?

Before you go off "bubba'ing" your stock by adding height to the comb or otherwise spending a bunch of time "fixing" the "problem" that way (or money adding a PRS with an adjustable comb), it seems that there may be other factors to consider as to why your rifle/optic/mount combo doesn't "fit" for you. A pic or two of your setup may help in this regard, but it could very well be that your optic/mount combo isn't right for you.

The PEPR mounts I have seen are generally high enough to allow mounting of fairly LARGE optics to ARs with room to spare in terms of clearance. They offer a very generous height from the top of the rail/base to the centerline of the ring of almost 1.6" (or 1" from the base to the bottom of the scope tube) which is fairly high compared to other offerings on the market. Mounting a smaller optic like your 10x SS to your AR with that mount is likely to cause you the issues you are describing because it is putting your scope higher than necessary whereas rings (or a mount) that bring your optic down a little bit lower will likely solve your problem altogether. Now, if you need to get your scope mounted that high to clear BUIS or for some other reason, then you don't have a lot of options aside from raising your comb height (whether that's with an adjustable comb like on the PRS stock or otherwise). Just realize that in doing so with any "home remedy" that you have to allow for clearance of your charging handle.

Anyway...just some things for you to think about before you proceed.

Re: AR15 cheek weld problem. Build it up?

Probably best to get a different mount. I shoot my AR's with my nose to the charging handle dragging my face down and fwd on the way to it. Give a very consistent weld and position. Even with optics, NF, ACOG or just irons. With a carbine stock the same thing only to the edge of the stock, so I have a definately repeatable place to go to.

You might be leaning your head too much , try keeping you head as straight as possible and see if you get improvement.