• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar15 not cycling

hunter223

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Odessa Tx
ok, bought some CHEAP wolf 223 surplus and went out to shoot it. the first 4-5 rounds went fine then all the sudden, the bolt wasnt cycling far enough to load another round. all extracted fine but wouldnt even throw the bolt carrier back far enough to lock it on an empty mag. loads not hot enough? or gas tube blockage? yall ever had this problem? if so, what to do. thanks, Hunter

Re: ar15 not cycling

Ensure the gas tube is not blocked, then check the bolt carrier key, make sure its tight, then I would suspect ammo. I have put about 15k of wolf thru my AR15, never had a problem like this with it.

your AR is Short stroking do you have enough lube on the bolt???

and +1 to what 427 said check your gas tube and gas port as well for blockages

I would think it might be the ammo. Check the gas rings on the bolt first. With the amount of pressure in the gas tube I seriously doubt that there is any problem with it. The pressure is so high that it would clear any problem on its own, unless it doesn't line up with the bolt carrier. Is the rifle new?? Most ARs will shoot Wolf ammo without any problems but I have had problems with Wolf ammo in handguns though.

You don't have the laquer coated shit do you? The polymer coated(good) stuff is more grey colored. The laquer coated(shit) is more greenish. That may be your problem. I'd only buy Wolf if it's polymer coated.

I would look at the gas tube, I had a gastube crack on me once, it was doing as such. Pop your forends and see if you can see it, if not, it might be a bad batch of ammo.

go to ar15.com, you're on the wrong website. There are lengthy articles written on short-stroking possibilities...and there are quite a few possibilities you have to sort through.

The bolt carrier key is the most likely culprit.
Make sure it is on tight. If it isn't, remove it, clean the mating surfaces, and stake it.
I've had one cause the problems that you're describing.
Good bolt gas rings should support the weight of the carrier if set vertically on the bolt.
Probably not causing the SS though.

lol Get some decent ammo and try it again. might not be anything wrong with our weapon

+1 on the decent ammo, none of my AR's like the wolf stuff and would fail to cyle more times than not. Switch back to remington and all was fine.

how many rounds did you have down it since you last cleaned it. They get dirty and need to be cleaned thoroughly. The crap amo just magnified the problem.

I like to start with the easiest solution and work my way up the list.

kt

My buddy had the same issue on his AR15. Gas rings were shot out. Picked some up at a gunshow and all was good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, bought some CHEAP wolf 223 surplus and went out to shoot it. the first 4-5 rounds went fine then all the sudden, the bolt wasnt cycling far enough to load another round. all extracted fine but wouldnt even throw the bolt carrier back far enough to lock it on an empty mag. loads not hot enough? or gas tube blockage? yall ever had this problem? if so, what to do. thanks, Hunter </div></div>

This happens all the time to me when shooting wolf crap ammo. The QC on the powder is variable and they sometimes underload their stuff. I was shooting Wolf ammo on two carbines the the short-stroke or lack of ejection happened on both rifles.

This is the checklist that I went through when the problems started:

1. Check gas tube for blockage.
2. Check carrier key for loosening.
3. Cleaned the chamber VERY WELL with a chamber brush. (wolf is super dirty)
4. Check bolt/carrier for any funny business.
5. Check buffer and spring.

Number 5 and 3 solved my problem. My H Buffer was too heavy for the light loaded Wolf ammo, it was short stroking. And the chamber was VERY dirty, causing the brass to stick.

I put in a light buffer, clean it often and didn't have any problems since.