• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR15 Platform and need a Scope Help

Magforce

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Lebanon, Tennessee, USA
Guys I built an AR15 chambered in a 6.8 SPC its an Addax GPU Upper Flat top and I have a Magpul PRS Stock on it so I set it up almost like a sniper platform AR, I'd like to get a nice scope for it nothing crazy high but still good. I think I wanna go with a Nikon but not sure which one to go with and thoughts or suggestions. Any Help would be Great.

Re: AR15 Platform and need a Scope Help

When I build an AR and use a scope other than designed for CQB or set up to be mounted on the AR platform,I start with a Scout Rail which moves the scope forward for proper eye relief,then use the low rings which will still allow for a 50mm objective to clear the barrel,it gives me a perfect cheekweld on the PRS or A2 stock.

I know you built a scoped AR, but what are your intentions? CQB and engage targets at extended ranges? Long range only? Need more info to help fit you with the right glass. Also, what is your price range? Give us some more info and we will have better idea of what you are looking for. -brandon

Brandon,the one thing I've found out about mounting a Target/Hunting/LR Tactical scope on an AR is that the scout rail solves my major mounting problem by pushing the scope forward and with low rings the height seems perfect.It is $80 appx well spent,usually use RRA or WOA,there are others out there.

Just FYI, I just put the 1.125 Nightforce Unimount on my flat top Rock River Predator Pursuit. It was too low. I'm going to run a Leupold 8.5-25X50, till I can afford a MK-4 3.5-10 or Night Force Compact. It was so low it would touch the Daniel Defence rail. It was too low for me to even see through without uncomfortably mashing my face into my cheek weld. I ordered the 1.137 to see if it would fit correctly.

Buzz,saw,I'm serious,the setup I ran first with the configuration I'm talking about was a WOA 26" 204 Ruger barrel with their FF tube,the scope I used was the same as yours,Leupy 8.5-25x50mm,just checked the rings I used,they were Warne Low rings,again,on top of the scout rail,the stock was a PRS,cheekweld was fine with no adjustment at all.The White Oak FF tube may be 1/4" shorter(below the top of the receiver rail)not sure.I sold the upper to SMACK,you can find a pic on the WOA site.I build a lot of AR's for a hobby,cost is really not an object,I always look to improve on my next project.This is still the best way I have found to mount these scopes,I don't like the uppers with the integral risers.all the uppers I use are Billet,and/or side charging.

If you have money to spend get the Larue SPR mount....perfect eye relief and height.If you are poor like the rest of us the Burris P.E.P.R. mount does the same thing at less than half the price.But it's not quick release...

if your going to spend the big bucks look at the USO 1.5-6 with a jng recticel, if not take a look at burris new products page there are two units that might interest you.

The SPR mount is certainly worth the money. Perfect fit for an AR.--Bradnon

Ill be shooting on the range maybe 600 yards maybe a tad bit more, I have the PRS stcok , its an Addax uppper flat top.

I dont wanna go super big bucks how do ya'll feel about Nikon Monarch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ftchmup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF 2.5-10 Larue mount as stated above........

</div></div>

Can someone tell me who's optic that is sitting on top of the NF, in the picture above, and how it is mounted on the Larue base/front ring? It looks like a mini Eotech

Thanks,

-Pat

OK, so wait a second...
for mounting a scope on m4 you need a 'scout rail'?
you would not just mount a scope with badger ordinance rings??

I am just wondering I have my first ar on order and I wanna get the accessories before the gun shows up.

Thanks,
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot_Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell me who's optic that is sitting on top of the NF, in the picture above, and how it is mounted on the Larue base/front ring? It looks like a mini Eotech
</div></div>

Looks like a Docter to me.

OP - USO ST-10 in the Larue mount. Cannot be beat.

I'm running the Bobro mount on my SPR. It does not dig into the rails, auto adjust and locks on solid, no wiggle whatsoever.

Bobro.jpg

Magforce....Not trying to bust your bubble or anything, but you are facing a tough battle with the 6.8 because you cannot get bullets with a high ballistic coefficient for long range work. I know, I have one.

The 6.8 cartridge was designed to increase the killing power of the M4 (short barrel) type rifles at CQB to mid range (<400 yards). At 600 yards and beyond, the 223 actually does better because you can get long, heavy bullets with a much better BC than the 6.8. Do a little research before you get a long range scope. Could save you some bucks.

how do you mount the mini red dot on top the SPR? It looks like its sitting right on top? It looks like the Larue mount kicks the mini off to the side a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weimjagd1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, so wait a second...
for mounting a scope on m4 you need a 'scout rail'?
you would not just mount a scope with badger ordinance rings??

I am just wondering I have my first ar on order and I wanna get the accessories before the gun shows up.

Thanks,
Chad </div></div>

Read the entire thread,it was about mounting a larger,target/LR type scope on an AR designed for LR,IMO,a 6.8 SPC is not a suitable ctg for this,save that for another thread.
Nobody on this thread said you NEED a scout rail or special LaRue mt to put a scope on an AR.How you mount it depends on the type of scope and what gives you a good cheekweld and eye relief,I have used an ACOG on one of mine for 4 years with the factory mount,perfect for me,maybe not for you.An AR set up to shoot crows and rockchucks with an LR/T 8.5-25x50 will need a different set up besides ultra high rings.

Leupold scopes need the turret mounted near the front of the upper. A Larue/similar mount makes this possible.

I used to run a leupold 3.5-10x40 1" w/ turrets in a Larue. I now run a NF 2.5-10x32 in the Larue. If you are on a budget, I would look around and get a similar used Leupold for about 3-400 and just buy the Larue new.

-dan

You ultimately need to decide what you are going to do with it. They guys are right, the 6.8SPC just isnt a long range cartridge (though, LR doesnt start till 800 yards as 600 is just mid range), but even at 600, the 6.8 will work but you are limited by its lack of "getting out there ballistics".

Based on that cartridge, I would go with something smaller rather than a true target scope. They have already mentioned several decent options.

Now, if you stick a 223 upper on there, one with a heavy, 20 inch or longer bbl, 1/8 twist or faster, free floated, and set up for true long range use, you should invest in a higher power long range scope as your rifle will be good out to 1,000 yards if you use long range bullets, like the 80SMK, 82Berger BT, or 80VLD, etc. Yeah, wont be great in the wind like a true LR cartridge, but it will work fine, you just need to play the wind. For those distances, the CQB type scopes aint going to cut it. Get 15X or better and decent glass.

John

Well really I set it up for Mid range target shooting for fun, I mean I set it up with the magpul PRS Stock, Bi Pod kind of a sniper rifle for mid range just for fun shooting, I dont wanna spend big money on a scope but something that will do a good job at 600 yards and less