• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 Platform....which brand/model ?

Jager66

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Northern VA & Northern Italy
Hi Gents,

I am lately getting interested in a rifle based on AR15 and would like to know what fits my bill.

For the moment, I like H&K MR223, Sig Sauer 516 and Oberland Arms models, all of which are available here in Europe with no "End User" issues (like the US imported Armalite, Bushmasters & Co.).

Could you Guys point me out in the right direction ?

I am quite set on the caliber, 223 that is, but as far as which rifle to pick....I have yet to make my mind up....

I would like to be able to still have good accuracy for medium/long range though.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

J

If an HK was available for a good price this would be a fantastic choice. Of the options you mention HK all the way. I have had 3 SIG ARs and the M400 was the best one. Piston is not really needed IMHO unless you are running full auto or 10inch bbl or surpressed but hell if you can get one do it. The HK is the standard by which all other piston ARs are judged like the Colt 6920 is the standard for DI guns.

A few thoughts:

Both H&K and Sig have put significant R&D into their designs so if you have a problem, the factory will be able to fix it.

If you plan to reload, forget about the H&K, unless it doesn't have the fluted chamber.

Enjoy.

Man, I'd do not like pistons, more felt recoil, and the one's I've seen are no cleaner running suppressed. If you're in the top end, a Knights Armament is the best AR in my opinion.

As it has been said many times before, opinions are like assholes insomuch that everybody has one, and some of those expressed here stink.

To say the Colt is the standard by which all other DI rifles are judged is such a crock of shit. The HK is definitely a dependable rifle but is it the most accurate piston driven? Additionally, I don't get why people say a piston driven rifle has more recoil because if it does, I certainly haven't noticed it.

Depending on the OPs budget there are many good choices such as LWRC, POF, LMT, JP, KAC, and Noveske.

The sig is ok, but the HK is better. If you can get your hands on them over there I would consider the KAC SR15's and LWRC M6's as well

Since it's in Europe, also check out: Schmeisser (Schmeisser GmbH Germany), DAR (DAR ? Dynamic Arms Research »*Herzlich Willkommen), Hera Arms (Hera Arms)
I've heard good things about all of them. I'm leaning towards a schmeisser (~1700-2000 euro) myself, but if you have more to spend, DAR would be the way to go. They basically build the gun to your specs (prices from 2150 euro to about 3000 depending on the options).
Hera Arms is only slightly cheaper than Schmeisser depending on the model. Their uppers looks a bit more "futuristic" if that's your thing.
Most use lothar walther barrels, except hera, which uses ESS.

Also, there was a new italian company making ar's, but I forgot their name. They were at the IWA2013 convention though, so do a search on that as well.

HK is nice if you want a piston gun and have money. Be sure to get the A1 model due to the "standard" AR receiver pins, if you ever want another standard upper for it.

Build your own then you can put together exactly what you want and use higher end components. They are not that hard to build..

Build it. MEGA recievers, BCM BCG and charging handle, Noveske/BCM/Daniel Defense barrel of choice, Palmetto lower build kit sans FCG, Timney or Geissle trigger, Furniture of choice, shoot the hell out of it.

Tough question if you decide to build cross your fingers and hope everything fits, it wont. Buy three of each use the one of the three that fits the best. Very easy to build but seems like people are having issues both building them and buying complete high end ones as well. I'd rather be capable enough to not only build it but to fix it and make it work well, be your own customer service dept....

the HK is HEAVY. but i won't lie, if you gave me one, i'd take it, but for that price range, i'd rather buy a Knight's or Noveske and still have money left over for glass.

Thanks Guys, lots of useful info's !

Again, here in my country it would not be an easy task to build my own AR platform, due to restricted laws and regulations.
For this reason alone I'd like to go for the complete package out of the box.
I have read good things on the Hera Arms and they seem good, so I'd really like to hear about them, if someone's got a chance to put their hands on one.

Things I am looking for in my AR-15 scenario would be :

- At least 16" barrel length (18" or even 20" preferred)
- Quad rail
- Possibility to work on the trigger, or getting a good aftermarket (which one?) to be able to get the most accuracy out to 300 m. or more
- 1:9" barrel twist or faster
- Mil spec collapsable stock
- Reliable cycling gas system

Also, which chamber type would you suggest ? 223, 5,56 or Wylde....and why ?

Keep 'em coming Guys, and thanks !

J

What kind of groups are you getting with the LPR's Krieger barrel? Im very interested in this rifle, being that I was thinking to build an SPR type on a Knights lower. And to the OP, Knights and Noveske are excellent.

Not knowing what brands are available to you will not make this easy, but here's my suggestions on the specs to look for:

Mid weight barrel contour. Not a pencil barrel or a bull barrel, look for a .750" gas block, but any heavier you will not like it and anything lighter will have shift when it gets hot. 1/7 - 1/8 twist. Some 1/9 barrels will shoot the 77gr projectiles just fine, but I've found more that didn't than I have that did. If you want long range capabilities of 600m+, you'll want the heavy projectiles and a 1/7 will still fire 55gr just fine as well. A stainless steel barrel if you can get one, 416R type. Chrome lining is for machine guns and suppressive fire in my opinion, and you'll still have 10k+ round capability from a quality barrel provided you're not doing regular mag dumps. If you can get one, get a Geissele trigger to your own liking. I prefer the SSA or SSA-E, depending on the application. Direct impingement gas system is what I prefer for the reduced weight and fewer moving parts, but that's your option. My hand is out on the forearm so I prefer to keep the gasses away from it and the heat as well. 5.56 or Wylde chamber both work well and for your application you won't see a difference in them, but stay away from .223 chambers for versatility's sake. A 16" mid length or a 18" mid/rifle length gas system is what I prefer for good recoil management and a bit more barrel life as well.

Remember that whatever you get, the parts are easily replaceable to the extent of your availability in Italy (and staying away from proprietary parts and systems), but don't sacrifice for the "snake oil". The heart of the rifle's accuracy rests in the barrel first and the trigger second. Stick with the big names like HK, Knights, Noveske, and others for reliability and quality, and get the best you can afford. There's others that are using sub-standard parts that may function well in the beginning and at a great price, but won't hold up in the long run.