• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 Problem PICS ADDED

swarrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
Commiefornia (Ridgcrest)
I have just got my AR15 put back together after replacing the lower to make it California legal. It started as a DPMS "Bull 20" I replaced the lower with a Smith and Wesson lower and reinstalled all the DPMS trigger and other lower parts from the original. It chambers a round fine and if you do not pull the trigger it will eject the unfired round as it should. I have three problems first it does not eject fired casing ie the action does not cycle. Second when you do fire a round it takes ALOT of force to pull the charging handle to the rear to eject the fired case. Lastly the rear pin is a beast to get in. I have already checked the gas tube from the block to the action. I have looked over the carrier group and all looks to be good and I have cleaned and re-lubed everything ANY HELP would be great. I will post pics if you need them.

Re: AR15 Problem

That is a good question. Here is the story I bought this out of state, never shot it and removed the lower before comming into california so as not to brake any dumbass laws here. I know I should have shot it first but I cannot complain to the person I got this from becuase I took it apart and replaced parts, so now it is my problem. But I did replace the bolt carrier group with my neighbor's AR and it did the same thing.

Ummm how does replacing the lower make it CA compliant? Is this a date of manufacture thing?

I have heard more than once as active duty you can bring a non CA compliant gas gun into CA. Not sure what all is involved with it as I have avoided taking orders there for my entire career but I beleive you take a copy of your orders to the local LE and register the item. If I recall there was a limit on how many you could bring with you.

DPMS runs a snug chamber, it may not run on "Mil-Spec" ammo.

I was using Pri Partizan match 69gr ammo and some cheap WOlf 55gr Military Classic. Should I load up some 223. maybe 25.3gr of Varget with a 69grSMK and give that a try? The carrrier has a tight spot about 3/4 way down the upper but nothing to tight just a bit snug.

Anchor Station-

There is some law about service members stationed in the state but a residence from other states concerning gas guns. I could never nail down what the actual law was and I was told that either way that the rifle would get taken until I could prove that I was a TX resident and legally stationed here. Then I was told that the law no longer exist so I chose to go another route. The DPMS is an "on list" receiver and not legal for me to own here, so I stripped it sold it back home and replaced it with a "off list" receiver and replaced the magazine release button with a California legal bullet button. The BB prevents you from changing or reloading with out using a tool of some sort. Basically it is just more California Bull Shit.

If you are active duty you can bring listed lowers into CA. I am not sure of the whole process but it can take 30-90 days from what DOJ has said You have to call CA DOJ fire arms section and talk to (916-263-0714) Terri. She will tell you what to do to get you lower legal.
Good luck with your problem.

I see one of the problems already. The Wolf ammo isn't good to use in AR's. The coating on the cases can melt or soften when the AR gets warmed up and stick inside the chamber. Then it's a pain to get cleaned out. The Privi Partizan shouldn't cause a problem. And the reloads are a good idea too.

What twist rate in the barrel? The only thing that comes to mind is too little headspace (unlikely?) or high pressure. Either might cause the brass to stick in the chamber. Maybe if it's 1:7 instead of the ubiquitous 1:9 it's spiking pressure?? I know 1:7 is/was mil. and 1:9 is/was everyone else, but I'm grasping, too.

Can you post a picture of the bolt carrier? If the action does not cycle, either the carrier key is gone; the gas tube is not installed or kinked or there is no gas port in the barrel. Or a combination of those things.

Yes, the cartridge may be difficult to eject once fired, if the chamber is tight or dirty or the ammo is not to spec. Prvi Partizan should be fine.

I have no idea on Cali law, but maybe I can help with the function promlem.

I have two DPMS SS barrels (both marked 223 BTW), they both hate Wolf but run fine on brass cased 223 loads.

What was the round count when you bought it?

Did the previous owner say it ran well?

Was it a factory upper or a home built?

How did you check the gas tube and port?

Have you checked the gas rings?

Hope we can get you squared away and shooting.

What was the round count when you bought it?
Unkown

Did the previous owner say it ran well?
Yes but I don'e know him that well.

Was it a factory upper or a home built?
Factory

How did you check the gas tube and port?
Took it off and check the port in the barrel then blew air threw the gas tube with finger on other end.

Have you checked the gas rings?
Yes, they seam a little loose but look fine.

I will get pics post ASAP.

1-9 twist 20 inch .223 chamber.

YES I know that Wolf is not good ammo, I used it once the I relized the acion was not working correctly just to switch up ammo. Don't worrie it is NOT what I run threw my gun.

Are you sure you have your lower assembled correctly?

Will the bolt carrier group support itself bolt face down, with
bolt in the extended postion?

How does the chamber look, my two are well polished?

I have a few AR's, Wolf runs fine in all my chrome lined mil-spec 5.56 chambered barrels. I will not and do not run it in non-chrome lined or stainless barrels.

OK, there is nothing wrong with Wolf, other than its under powered and dirtier than a 2 dollar whore.

People think that the coating put on the steel cases melts and sticks in the chamber and blah blah blah ... that isnt true. What IS true is that the steel cases do not expand and seal off the chamber like brass cases do. Ever notice when you shoot brass cased stuff that there is a soot ring on the shoulder but the rest of the case is fairly clean? Do that with steel cased ammo and see what happens .... you dont get the expansion out of the steel cases and it allows more dirty gas and unburned wolf turds into the chamber.

- This was the first time I assembled a lower but it was not that difficult.
- The Carrier will support itself sitting vertical on the bolt face with it extended. Does that mean it is to tight?
- Chamber looks fine clean and polished.
Here are alot of pics of everything. The only major mod was to the hand guard that I did.(I am a metalsmith)

041.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

Carrier supporting itself is fine, that's how it should be. I see no traces of carbon on theis carrier and bolt. This tells me the gas tube is obstructed or kinked or it's not connected to the gas port or there is no gas port in the barrel. Can you verify the existence of the gas tube in the handguard?

Carrier on end is quick check of gas rings, it should stay up.

Everything looks OK. Gas rings are a little tweeked,but should be fine. The carrier does look like it has more round through it than the bolt. May want to have the head space checked.

The tube is there and not kinked, there is a port in the barrel but I do not know if the ports match up or if the one in the barrel is clogged. Is there a way to see if I am getting pressure up to the carrier group?

Get a can of brake clean or such and spray it down the gas tube from inside the reciever. You will (should) see it in the barrel.

Check the bolt carrier without the bolt to see if it slides freely. If not, the upper may have been pinched together. I did that on my first build, and had to gently pry it apart where it was tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tube is there and not kinked, there is a port in the barrel but I do not know if the ports match up or if the one in the barrel is clogged. Is there a way to see if I am getting pressure up to the carrier group? </div></div>

Just an idea but an air chuck (off a compressed air line) blown into a barrel with one end blocked would force air out through the port into the gas tube. Tough to guage the degree of obstruction, if any, but at least it would confirm or deny gross obstruction or misalignment.

Sounds like you have a chamber problem not a bolt carrier group or gas system problem. The spent rounds are not extracting out of the chamber right? You said it is hard to extract the spent case by hand even after it has been fired? That means your chamber is too tight and that the expended brass is expanding and getting stuck in the chamber. You need to try either another brand of ammo such as PMC or Rem .223 ammo, I had a problem with my barrel doing the same thing and it was a new DPMS barrel from Brownells. It would only shoot a few brands of ammo and wouldn't function for anything else, if you can get some Federal .223 and try that, it worked in mine. As well as the PMC and Remington .223 ammo's.

If you had a bolt carrier or gas tube system problem the gun would still work it would just not function all the time, you would at least get a few rounds out of it then would either not eject the brass all the way, not feed the nxt round into the chamber properly, or a combination of both.

Good luck

Just got back from the desert with no luck. It shoots but still does not eject. It is easier to manually eject the round since the scope is removed and the carrier does fall free with NO binding any longer but still not cycling. I will try new ammo in tomorrow. Here are some pics of my chamber and the gas tube in relation to the carrier group.

Pic with gas tube removed.
085.jpg

086.jpg

087.jpg

088.jpg

Quick question...
Does the carrier bind up with the lower removed? in other words have you eliminated the hammer as being part of the resistance?

If the bolt binds up in any way with the uppper seperated and no round in the chamber...you have some problem there. It could be a chamber issue as stated above but if it is binding up without a round in the chamber...sounds like a bent or binding upper, gas tube not mating well with the spigot on the BCG or the "lip" on the gas tube may be worn on the top side due to horizontal alignment issues although from the photos, it looks OK, at least on the bottom half of the lip. If this area is worn bad enough, the gas pressure bleeds off before it can cycle the bolt all of the way back.....

PS
I have shot 1000's of rounds of wolf in beater guns to 3K rifles and NEVER HAVE HAD AN ISSUE with it, I prefer better ammo but the fact is that it is good plinking ammo...just a bit underpowered and dirty. It should cycle and feed through your weapon with no issues.

. Just my 02 cents worth.

No binding with or without the lower. The only time it binds is when you fire a round, if you chamber a round but do not fire it, you can easily grab the charging handle and cycle the bolt and eject the unshot round.

I am wondering if I am loosing gas pressure somewhere, like the gas block.

May be...i would look at the gas tube real well where it enters the BCG. I had one a while back that gave me hell. It had worn about 30% of the little ridge down flat on the gas tube. It looked OK until I pulled it out and realized it was on the side that you cant see... It was on a buddies rifle, factory bushmaster upper. He had fired about 1200 rounds and it just quit ejecting. Somehow the gas tube had been bent just a little and the BCG finally wore down the area i am talking about. We replaced it with a new tube and it started running 100% again.

Hope it works out for you....

PS....

Definitely have the headspace checked. Can you post a pic of a fired case? Are there any signs that it is pulling the rim at the extractor? Any gouges or marks on the side of the case?

Re: AR15 Problem PICS ADDED

Either buffer spring is wrong one and too tight( not likely) or gas port in barrel is plugged or NOT LINED UP with port in gas block ( I have seen this several times on "frankenguns"....

Swarrick, just send me the rest of that rifle and we'll get it figured out for you. The lower is working fine.
wink.gif

I think I got it figured out but I have to wait till the morning to fire it. I found a Small Rifle Primer in the gas port of the BCG covered in a thick layer of carbon. My Neighbor actually tipped me off to it. It took a lot to get it out but after some careful work with a drill and a small pick I removed it with no damage to the BCG. We will see!

That would do it. Let us know how you make out.

If that's NOT it... i was going to ask if the gas block is adjustable (ala JP Rifles). If so, that's a gotcha, but if not... nevermind. Can't tell exactly from the photos, but it doesn't look like it.

Works like a CHAMP! The guy I bought it from did not say a thing about it not cycling. I got it for a good price, I now know why. I guess he at some time blew a primmer out of the pocket and somehow ended up in the BCG gas port. Now that it has been removed and everything is cleaned out, it cycles as it should.

THANKS to everyone for the Help, I can always count on the HIDE.

-Have not shot the AR for groups yet, that will have to wait for a while. The AR was a side project that grew legs and now needs to be on the back burner until the end of OCT. My top priority is working on a new load for my MakTube rifle and that just got that nailed down Saturday. So now I have to get my dopes worked out for that before the LV 2 day shoot in OCT.

AGAIN THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, there is nothing wrong with Wolf, other than its under powered and dirtier than a 2 dollar whore.

People think that the coating put on the steel cases melts and sticks in the chamber and blah blah blah ... that isnt true. What IS true is that the steel cases do not expand and seal off the chamber like brass cases do. Ever notice when you shoot brass cased stuff that there is a soot ring on the shoulder but the rest of the case is fairly clean? Do that with steel cased ammo and see what happens .... you dont get the expansion out of the steel cases and it allows more dirty gas and unburned wolf turds into the chamber.

</div></div>

I'm glad someone finally said something. Is wolf good ammo? For plinking, sure. Its not great. Its underpowered. Its dirty as anything. But for cheap plinking? It does what its made to do. Wolf hasn't had a laquor coat in 10 years? I've shot alot(15 cases?) of it threw the couple of AR's and my RR, I've yet to have a FTF. Sure, that is my own personal exp, but until I have issues, I'm going to use it.

Great to hear it's fixed! I bought a Garand once that wouldn't cycle. Turns out the plunger in the gas plug (for when it was used to launch granades) was missing altogether. Just blew the gas right out the front. Got a great deal on the rifle and cost me $10.00 to fix it!
grin.gif

+1 on the wolf. I have fired many many many cases of it. Never had issues with it. I clean my weapons after every range session anyway so the wolf turds are not an issue. back when that stuf was 99 dollars per K....i shot the shit out of it.