• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes AR15 scope ideas

Sebastian777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2013
KY
Shopping for a new scope for my AR. I currently have a Burris AR-536, but the reticle dot is too big in my opinion. I love the compact size and the fact that it feels like you could run the thing over with a truck and not hurt it though.
Are there any good alternatives for this style scope that have either a smaller dot or crosshairs? It seems like the Burris is the only thing between the Barskas (and similar) and the ACOGs.

I've also been looking at traditional style scopes as well. What I want is something rugged, with good glass. I have a 45* mounted red dot so I'm fine with a fixed power or variable scope. I'm thinking something that tops out in the 5-10x range. Illumination is plus, but not requirement. Looking to spend $400 or less.

I've been looking at the Burris Fullfield and MTACs as well as the Nikon M223. Also saw the Weaver Kaspa's too. Are there any scopes in that sub $400 range that stick out from the others?

I put an M-223 on an AR. It's not terrible, but also not worth the money they ask for them. On another AR, I put a vortex viper 4-16 and have been very happy with it. It has a long eye relief and is very clear. The other vortex models may have something in the power you are looking for and may cost less than $400. When deciding, I looked at about 20 different models from various manufactures and the vortex stood out the most. I think I paid, about $475. Staying under $400 and getting a decent scope is going to be difficult but I assure you, the vortex viper is well worth the money.

Take a look at the US Optics SR-4C
its a 1-4X with a red dot on the second focal plane which means the dot is the same size through all power settings. I looked at it at SHOT Show and it is awesome!

Check out the Burris C4Plus scopes, I'm reviewing a 4.5-14 model right now but they also have 3-9 version with a 1" or 30mm tube, the 30mm have way more elevation travel though. When you buy the scope you can contact Burris and get a free BDC knob set up for any cartridge and velocity you want or use the included 1/4 MOA knob. The reticle is set up with 10 MOA on either side of the crosshair to use wind holds as opposed to dialing for wind. I zeroed the 4.5-14 with Hornady 75gr BTHP and I had plenty of elevation to get to 600 yards and although the winds were tricky the reticle was easy to use to get me on steel quickly. The scopes are also pretty light, I think the 3-9's are well under a pound and the 4.5-14's are just a shade over. The 3-9's are right around $300 I think and the 1" tube 4.5-14 is about $400 but it also has an adjustable objective for parallax compensation.

At well over $1000 the US Optics is way over my budget, besides that, I really want more than 4x. I should've also mentioned that I'm looking for something that is NOT battery dependent. Illuminated is cool, but I want something that can work even with a dead battery. That's one of the reasons I liked the Burris AR-536.

Thanks for the suggestion Trigger Monkey, I'm taking a drive tomorrow to a store with a large scope selection and will hopefully get to check one of those out.

As far as ACOG style scopes, are there any other midrange ones in the market besides the Burris AR-xxx series? It seems to me it goes from the sub-$150 ones to the $1000 ones. That's a huge a gap that I surprised only Burris tries to fill.

If you can bump your budget just a smidge, you could probably pick up a Leupy Patrol 1.25-4x like the one pictured below. I forget what I paid, something along the lines of $465 or so.......Great glass, small illuminated dot, useful reticle and seems to track well, for my purposes.

p1775316859-4.jpg

i have a nikon monarch 2.5-10 mildot scope on my coyote rifle. i have a burris m tac 1-4 on another ar 15 i have. but i am thinking of selling it because. 2.5 gives a great feild of view up close but does not limit me to 4 power. i also have a reticle i can range with rather than the cheesey burris reticle. i also have a bushnell elite tactical 2.5-16 on another i like it as well. i agree about the m 223 i wish i could send mine in and get the turrets changed to be like the capped monarch. i do not think the m 223 is worth more than the monarch. i paid extra for a feature i do not like on the m 223. but it is still a good scope. i just prefer the set up of the monarch for that rifles purpose. on my prairie dog rifle i love the m 223 because there are not many opportunities to inadvertently turn the knob

Last edited:
If you can bump your budget just a smidge, you could probably pick up a Leupy Patrol 1.25-4x like the one pictured below. I forget what I paid, something along the lines of $465 or so.......Great glass, small illuminated dot, useful reticle and seems to track well, for my purposes.

p1775316859-4.jpg

I was going to recommend the Leupold VX-R series as well. They come in 1.25-4; 2-7 and 3-9 power. With discounts, you can find them in the $450 range. They have the firedot reticle but full reticle is visible without battery.

Sell the burris, take that money plus your 400 and you almost have enough for a used ACOG. The closest thing I can think of for ~400 dollars that actually works is the 1-4X PST. It's not as sturdy as the ACOG but it does work very well, you will need a mounting system for it though either rings or 1pc.

Absolutely love my bushnell 1-4 throw down pcl. Illuminated but works with no illum as well.

I recently Purchased vortex pst 2.5-10x44 off here used for $425 and I mounted it on my RRA 18" and love it.

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 is what I originally bought for my AR while I saved up to get the Vortex Gen II HD 1-6x. The 2.5-10x has a good low end mag with plenty field of view (which I like for my AR) and can be cranked down quick to 10x if you want to make longer shots. Glass is decent and the reticle isn't too big (in my opinion) and the illumination works well. You'll like this scope for your AR and you can find them used in second focal plane for the price you're talking about.

I put a Leupy VX-R 3-9 with the ballistic fire dot on mine. Really like it do far. I got the gold ring not the patrol model. I didn't want exposed turrets on my yipper tipper.

Thanks for the input. I went to a Sportsmans Warehouse near me and checked out many different scopes. I really liked the Leupold VX-R series. I also checked out great options from Carl Zeiss, Burris, and others. When it came down to it, none of them were good enough to justify spending the money for them when I had a Vortex DB 3-9x40 sitting at home, so that is what I went with.

I can't believe the huge hole in the market for compact scopes. You have the $150 Barskas and similar ones, and the next real step up is a $1000 ACOG. Burris is the only one who tries to fill the gap with a $350 AR-536 that they have built in China and many of them have a reticle that is canted to the left or the right. Why in the hell aren't companies like Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, etc not trying to fill this huge gap in the market with a decent scope? Do they not realize how many tactical/tacticool rifle owners are out there? There are many people who would love to get a "good", compact scope in the $300-$700 range. Most of them, myself included, would be perfectly happy with it being a fixed power scope anywhere in the 5-10x range.
I wanted something that was 5-8" long, with a power that only needed to top out in the 5-10x range, that had good glass and a somewhat precise reticle. I was hoping to spend $300-400 but would have jumped up to $500 if I found something that I just really liked.

*Waving hundred dollar bills in the air at scope manufacturers and yelling* "For crying out loud will one of you please take my money?"

Sightron S-III 1-7. Real nice reticle, true 1x, illumination. Great glass as well. It may have a new name for 2014 but still the S-III quality. If you look hard or have a friend with a dealer account at a distributor you will be in the 500-600 $ market.

My vote for your price range is the leupold mark 1.25-4x20. Right around 400 with illumination. Super light. Nice turrets.

I can't believe the huge hole in the market for compact scopes. You have the $150 Barskas and similar ones, and the next real step up is a $1000 ACOG.

You aren't looking in the right places if you think your only options are a Burris and then an ACOG. Leupold's Mark AR-series of scopes are a value based alternative for the AR market with many of the scopes in the $300-$500 range. Nikon has a 1-4 equipped with 1/2 MOA turrets and their BDC reticle for less $300 in addition to what they have in their P-223 line up. Burris even has some additional options with the aforementioned TAC-30 and MTAC that come in at the $300-$400 mark. Bushnell also has their AR optics line with some interesting features like an integrated throw lever and BDC for well under $300 and some models are even available at Walmart. Primary Arms also has a $250 1-6 with a BDC reticle tailor made for AR's and these are just several examples. The optics companies are not ignoring the massive popularity of the AR-15 and most have optics lines to fit just about any budget.

You aren't looking in the right places if you think your only options are a Burris and then an ACOG. Leupold's Mark AR-series of scopes are a value based alternative for the AR market with many of the scopes in the $300-$500 range. Nikon has a 1-4 equipped with 1/2 MOA turrets and their BDC reticle for less $300 in addition to what they have in their P-223 line up. Burris even has some additional options with the aforementioned TAC-30 and MTAC that come in at the $300-$400 mark. Bushnell also has their AR optics line with some interesting features like an integrated throw lever and BDC for well under $300 and some models are even available at Walmart. Primary Arms also has a $250 1-6 with a BDC reticle tailor made for AR's and these are just several examples. The optics companies are not ignoring the massive popularity of the AR-15 and most have optics lines to fit just about any budget.

The problem is that none of those are COMPACT scopes or they don't have a max magnification of only 4x. Because I have a 45° CQB sight, I wanted a compact scope so I had room to mount both above the receiver (The problem was getting to the power button on the CQB sight with a scope mounted next to it). Also because I had a CQB sight, I wasn't worried about low end magnification, and I wanted something a little more that 4x. I ended up having to go with a "regular" style scope with a high profile mount to suit my needs.
There is a HUGE hole in the market for ACOG style scopes. Since the Burris ended up being cheap chinese crap, the only ACOG style scopes between $150 and $1000 are the scopes with 20-24mm objectives, which I wouldn't even call an ACOG style scope.