• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing AR15 trigger needs work

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I have a Double Star AR15 and the trigger is about 8 lbs and has a long heavy pull that makes it hard to shoot well.

Took a look at it and am thinking that some good could be done with a file and stone but wondering what should or should not be done to this style of trigger?

Anyone with experience or is there a better after market solution?

Re: AR15 trigger needs work

You can stone the trigger assembly but the heat treat is thin and the trigger job will not last. Go ahead and buy a quality aftermarket trigger. You will be much happier in the long run. I would recommend either a JP set up as a single stage or a rock river two stage. Both are quality trigger assemblies

Talk to this guy:

Bill Springfield

He did the trigger on my M&P. Went from crap 6 lb pull to very crisp 3 lb. letoff that felt like 2 lbs. VERY reasonably priced. Highly recommend him for a duty/field rifle.

John

Thanks, that is a great Web Site. Never heard of him before but seems to know what he can do.

What was the turn around time like?

+1 for B Springfield. I've never had one done but everyone over at ar15.com says his trigger working skills are incredible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the turn around time like?</div></div>

It was like a year ago and at that time it was around a week. Will depend on his work load.

John

p.s. I've probably put 2000 rds past his trigger and it still feels great. Everyone who shoots my AR (well, actually my son's now) can't believe how good it feels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to this guy:

Bill Springfield

He did the trigger on my M&P. Went from crap 6 lb pull to very crisp 3 lb. letoff that felt like 2 lbs. VERY reasonably priced. Highly recommend him for a duty/field rifle.

John </div></div>

Great link,a friend has a Bushmaster trigger that looks stock,best single stage I've ever felt,I wonder if it was this guy that did the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to this guy:

Bill Springfield

John </div></div>

Great link,a friend has a Bushmaster trigger that looks stock,best single stage I've ever felt,I wonder if it was this guy that did the work. </div></div>

I originally took my AR to my local smith and he screwed it up. Sent it to Bill and not only did he recover it, but it's great. Guy's like this (good + inexpensive + good CS) should get all the work we can send them. No, I am not affiliated.
smile.gif

John

Bill does amazing stuff to otherwise crappy service rifle triggers (he actually made a Cetme of mine have a nice trigger!).
Excellent choice if you don't want to replace the trigger.

Bill does nice work if you're inclined to go that route using stock parts, but I highly recommend the Geissele SSA if you're willing to spend the money on a lasting, quality trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill does nice work if you're inclined to go that route using stock parts, but I highly recommend the Geissele SSA if you're willing to spend the money on a lasting, quality trigger. </div></div>

I'm sure the Geiselle trigger is VERY nice. I was looking for something that would have proven field reliability and the stock trigger group was known quantity. OP has not stated his usage.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend the Geissele SSA if you're willing to spend the money on a lasting, quality trigger.</div></div>
+1, I use the Geissele DMR tiggers and have never looked back.

True, but when you modify the GI part past the shallow depth of it's heat treating you run into issues. That is my only concern with modifying them.

Geissele triggers have a lot of field testing in military units, and have performed fantastically. They make specific triggers for the 416 that withstand some serious firing schedules with no ill effects. The SSA is designed as a service trigger, to boot.

But, you've gotta pay to play, and they're not cheap or readily available a lot of them time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True, but when you modify the GI part past the shallow depth of it's heat treating you run into issues. That is my only concern with modifying them.</div></div>

I asked Bill this specific question when I was going to send him my TCG. He stated that it was a non-issue. Now, whether that was because it was a S&W or because this is no longer an issue, I do not know. I have heard of armorers using Casenite (sp?) after stoning.

If anyone had a question, I would recommend calling Bill and asking him. There's a lot of voodoo on the Interwebs.
grin.gif

John

I have used two different methods with excellent results.

First and easiest:
The afore mentioned drop in trigger.
I really like the RRA two stage system.

The second and least expensive:
The set screw method. LINK
The link I referenced is one of the better how to guides I've seen on this method.

Hope this helps.

JP Enterprises single stage fully adjustable trigger with the speed hammer and the 3.5 pound spring will give a great trigger pull that will last longer than the barrel will.

I have one of the first Gen XCR's great rifle but trigger sucked, Bill Springfield worked it right up though. For AR's I either get the RRA 2 stage or JP trigger depending on what I am going to do with the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of the first Gen XCR's great rifle but trigger sucked, Bill Springfield worked it right up though. For AR's I either get the RRA 2 stage or JP trigger depending on what I am going to do with the rifle. </div></div>

I checked out Bill Springfield's site,he said he also works over RRA NM triggers also,makes them better.Ever have him do one of those for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True, but when you modify the GI part past the shallow depth of it's heat treating you run into issues. That is my only concern with modifying them. </div></div>

I also asked him about this, and he responded a little more specifically, that an AR15 trigger typically has about .015" of surface hardness, and his work removes no more that .003" of material. I have since installed about 15 of these in various guns with no issues. His work compares very favorably with the JP single stage trigger kit. Once price is considered, there is no comparison.

It should be noted that he does shorten the engagement surface on the hammer to get a good clean single stage break, and there possibly could be a reliability issue with this, however I would speculate that would be similar for any after market fire control group.

Got my trigger back from Bill and it breaks at 3 lbs. Very crisp and affordable. Perfect for what I was looking for and I would recommend him to others.