• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 trigger replacements able to work in DPMS 308

Zebra644

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Ohio
I am about to buy a new DPMS .308 some of the Hide members have helped me make that choice and thank you. I would like to know if an AR-15 drop in single stage trigger is compatable with the AR-10 platform. I understand that you must have the same pin diameter like a .154 for example. But can it take the beating of an AR-10. I will only be shooting civillian ammo, FGM 168 GR. for example. I have read up on different types of the single stage triggers like the Wilson Combat TTU. Are some tougher than others with the same degree of smoothness and quality?
Thanks

Re: AR15 trigger replacements able to work in DPMS 308

I don't know about the Wilson TTU specifically, but most of the "drop-in" or complete trigger units (like the Timney, AR Gold, etc.) have specific trigger units dedicated to the AR-10/LR-308 rifles due to the increase in forces applied to the trigger/hammer during recoil (not to mention changes in springs).

If you are interested in the Wilson TTU, I'd get with someone directly at Wilson re: the safety and reliability of their trigger in the LR-308.

Otherwise, see if you can try out different triggers before you buy. Personally, for a single stage trigger in the AR (-15 or -10), I like the Timney triggers. They are crisp, break very cleanly, reset is very short. They are worthy of consideration.

Thanks ORD Timney was one of the triggers I was looking at and they specifically make one for the AR-10

Glad to help out.

FWIW, Midway has the Timney AR-10 triggers (at least they usually do). If you are buying soon, you can use the SH or other discount codes to get $20 off which brings them down to right at the $200 mark at Midway (better than the $235 they normally run retail).

GOOD LUCK!!

I've swapped out tons of ar15 triggers in my 308 without any problems. JARD 1.5lb, RRA 2 stage, couple different stock triggers, chip mccormick 4.5lb, all worked fine. Your trigger will work fine too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've swapped out tons of ar15 triggers in my 308 without any problems. JARD 1.5lb, RRA 2 stage, couple different stock triggers, chip mccormick 4.5lb, all worked fine. Your trigger will work fine too. </div></div>
Same here, all worked no problems.

Awesome thanks for the help

Hey Zebra308

I am using a Wilson TTU in my Larue OBR and it is working well.

I ended up eith a Geissle SSA but before I decided on it I looked around at others and as a rule of thumb it seemed that the "one piece" units were not cross compatable and the company has separate offeings for 308 platforms. The traditional style AR-15 triggers universally seemed to be compatable in the 308's

Too many choices may muddy the water, but you might want to consider the JP trigger. It's not exactly drop-in - you have to file a bit and adjust some screws if memory serves. However, it's really easy - just a pass or too of the file at a time, check, and repeat til it's right. It's a good price, and very smooth. You need at least their 3.5-4.0 spring for an AR10 according to JP.

Get this book, The Competitive AR15 or go to the website at least

www.zediker.com/ articles/articles.html

Geissele Automatics
609-892-7161
geissele.com
JPEnterprises
651-426-9196
jprifles.com
Jewell
513-353-2999
Knight’s Armament
561-562-5697
Chip McCormick Corp.
830-798-2863
chipmccormickcorp.com

Don't know what use you will use the platform for so the question is whether you are looking for a single or two stage trigger. For all but action shooting, the two stage is likey the best choice specifically the Geissele or the X-treme. Both are very adjustable and have lock times in the 4ms range (like a bolt gun). Jewells are very adjustable but have very slow lock times (12-14 ms) and are not supposedly meant for the larger platforms. None of the single stage triggers even hint at a lock time, which begs the question just how slow are they? They do offer a distinct feel and a short reset. FWIW the JARD will not work in the DPMS.

I had the JARD non-adjustable in mine, no light strikes etc.

If it's a LEO weapon (I'm assuming it's going to be a carbine in your patrol car?) I would stick with the stock trigger. If after using it you still want to upgrade I would get a timney single stage 4lb.

Thank you to all that responded. To error on the side of caution I am going to go with the Timney AR-10 4# single stage and have an armorer put it in. That way it is a trigger made for that calibre and type with no ability to be modified and even though I am more than familiar with how to change out a trigger group, a person with the propper cred's will. Thanks Again

All will work -functionally AFAIK. As pointed out earlier JP says not to use any of their lower weight springs than their red one for strong enough primer hits. I didnt even use their speed hammer - even more reliable I reckon and I am not convinced of the importance of the "reduction in lock-time" in my case.

I put a Geissele DMR in my 308 DPMS AP4 and it is an awesome trigger and easy to put in. You can also go a little cheaper and get a Geissele SSA.

The Geiselle two-stage is one of the best triggers for large and small frame Ar's.
Two stage units allow you to have more spring pressure on the hammer, while still keeping the second stage break forces low.
It allows a trigger with all the inherent safety of a 4.5 lb single stage, with travel safety, and a 1.25 lb. break.
This is good for both safety, and accuracy.
The large frame AR requires a little more kinetic energy in the hammer to run reliably as well.
Too little KE, and accuracy can actually suffer, along with slight hangfires, and FTF's when it's cold out.
The lightened JP unit should be avoided for the AR10 IMO.

All triggers I've tried seem to work in either platform (DPMS style AR10).

I like his mention of the importance of lock time.
Honest to god, I believe that it's the main driving difference between bolts and autos.
Everyone believes that autos are harder to drive well, but few have any tangible reasons why they are.
I think that good follow through is more important with longer lock times, and autos have much longer lock times.
Sloppy follow through can really throw a shot with an auto, where with a bolt gun it would throw it about 1/4 as far, based on typical lock time comparisons.
I used to think such talk was silly marketing hype, and that a human's perception of milliseconds was definitely negligible.
I've come to realize that it definitely is not.