• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 upper recommendations possibly 6.8 or 6.5

stork23raz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
east Tennessee
First time poster, been reading for a while. Im currently saving up for a new upper for my bushmaster 5.56 lower I am saving up for my next upper, and researching what I would like. Right now I am currently looking to a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 grendel 20" barrel free floated. I would like a good upper around $700. Heavy barrel or not, doesnt matter to much. Would prefer molychrome lined. Top of my list right now is DPMS 6.8mm 20" upgraded w/ free floated hand guard, and low profile gas block. Like to use on deer, but still accurate enough for coyotes or smaller at 2-300 yards. Any recommendations on uppers and/or ammo?

Re: AR15 upper recommendations possibly 6.8 or 6.5

The debate on 6.8 vs. 6.5 has been raging for sometime. Old info said the 6.5 was superior and approaching 308, but that has turned out to be fantasy. The 6.8 is much more efficient in shorter barrels. Either will do much more than the job you describe, but 6.8 also has more factory support. Lots of good info at www.68forums.com Sending PM.

I looked into getting a 6.5 some time ago, I couldn't find any ammo for it at a reasonable price. I would go with the 6.8. It is easier to find ammo for. And for what you want to do with it, the ballistics should be more than adequate.

If you are going 20" I'd go 6.5G or 6.5BPC (the non-trademarked case; still fires grendel in its chamber)....going 18" and under I'd get the 6.8 SPC....check out the barrel specs on em as they have evolved a bit since 2002, ideally a chamber marked 6.8x43, 6.8mm spc II, or in Noveske's case 6.8mm SPC MOD 1...they all have a leade of .100" and a slower twist rate like 1/11"-1/12" as opposed to the original saami specs with remington's 1/10" barrel twist intended for .270win.

http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/65bpc.php

http://www.titanarmory.net/id69.html

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=58

http://bisonarmory.com/upperstore.html

http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upper415-6168SPCML.htm

In my opinion I would go with the Grendel only if you reload, finding ammo is tough. As far as uppers go look into www.precisionfirearms.com they will customize any combination you desire, but your $700 price range probably won't cut it.

Too hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the different twists they put on those hitler videos
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First time poster, been reading for a while. Im currently saving up for a new upper for my bushmaster 5.56 lower I am saving up for my next upper, and researching what I would like. Right now I am currently looking to a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 grendel 20" barrel free floated. I would like a good upper around $700. Heavy barrel or not, doesnt matter to much. Would prefer molychrome lined. Top of my list right now is DPMS 6.8mm 20" upgraded w/ free floated hand guard, and low profile gas block. Like to use on deer, but still accurate enough for coyotes or smaller at 2-300 yards. Any recommendations on uppers and/or ammo? </div></div>

6.8 for close to medium ranges.More reliable.I suggest a 18" barrel.

6.5G for longer ranges.

6mm ART40 for The ultimate in the AR-15 platform.

Steve

I am leaning a little more toward the 6.8 in 20" barrel. I would like to have a 6.5 grendel(but i would prefer it in 24") also, or at least later. But I have a scope already. Zeiss 2.5-8x32. So I was looking for a rifle to match that.

This is what I am leaning toward.
DPMS 20" 6.8
-koelbl sing rail gas block
-vented free float tube
total $699

what i would prefer
DPMS 20" 6.8
-teflon coated barrel
-fluted barrel
-Bennie Cooley comp
-vented free float tube
total $889

Stag model 7H 20" 6.8
total $595

I have also looked at the Bison 6.8 20"

I have never heard of Bison before last week and know nothing about their reputation.
I have heard of Stag arms. But I know nothing about their quality or reputation.

I emailed stag they said I can expect 1/2"-1" groups. If their quality is good then pricewise, that would be the best pricewise.

I still leaning toward Dpms due to i know they have good stuff. and the customization. Bonus* moly chrome barrels.

Anyone got any input on stag products?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I am leaning toward.
DPMS 20" 6.8
-vented free float tube
total $699

what i would prefer
DPMS 20" 6.8
-teflon coated barrel
-fluted barrel
-Bennie Cooley comp
-vented free float tube
total $889

Stag model 7H 20" 6.8
total $595

I have also looked at the Bison 6.8 20"

I have never heard of Bison before last week and know nothing about their reputation.
I have heard of Stag arms. But I know nothing about their quality or reputation.</div></div>

May be someone can chime in on this one - I am not sure why you would want to go with a 20" barrel. The most you are going to get out of a 6.8 is 500 yards and that is pushing it. Anything over 18" is a waste of barrel in my view and I think 16" is even better. I hunt with a LWRC 16" 6.8mm and it is one fine handy rifle. It weighs in with scope at around 8# loaded. 20" would make it too heavy. I guess it matters what you are doing with the rifle but I would re-think your barrel length. OMHO

I hunted last deer season with my 6.8 and my son also shot his 6.8 (AR Performance Upper on a LMT lower) and we killed four deer using 110 GR Barnes TTSX's. The 6.8mm is a great round and has worked for me every time in the field. I love the idea of using a AR for hunting. I live in Virginia where you can't hunt with 223 so this was a great alternative.

Happy Hunting.

A 1-7 twist .223 slinging 77SMK's at 2700+ will be cheaper to build, easy to find ammo, easier to make ammo, mags are cheaper and easier to find, Uncle Sam is not completely full a dumbasses, hence the 6.8 is all but dead.

if someone would come up and preach to me after a day at the range with my 556 of the virtues of the 6.8 i might get an aneurism and die.

+1 @ 427Cobra,

6.5G remains a fantasy to me. if i won $2000 tomorrow that was required to be spent on gunly things, i MIGHT consider a 6.5G upper and reloading components (if LMT MRP piston uppers were out of stock)

Re: AR15 upper recommendations possibly 6.8 or 6.

I have got all the 6.5 G components, so that is what I am going with. I ordered dies, and I'm about to order a 16-18" upper. If I wouldn't have already had 800 pieces of Brass, I may have gone 6.8 to put on my sbr (12"). I'm trying to shorten and lighten everything in the safe this year, and 6.8 burns it's powder in less barrel length.

The 6.5 will travel further supersonic.

I am dealing with the same debate right now to but my intended use for either would be inside 300yd deer hunting. With that being said do you guys think either would work for me?

No one has really spelled it out here yet, but the advantage that the 6.5G has over the 6.8 is that you can get bullets with higher BC for the 6.5.

Aside from that, there is no real advantage of the 6.5G over the 6.8.

Both launch similar weight bullets at similar velocities.

The 6.5G only has an advantage at extended range because of the higher BC and thus the higher velocity down range and shorter flight time.

One disadvantage of the 6.5G is that it is a proprietary cartridge and barrels and parts can be pricey in comparison. But it is a great little cartridge.

Agree with Cobra about going fast-twist and shooting 75/77gr match bullets. Many advantages.

As much as I've tried to go Grendel, I just could never pull the trigger on an upper because the returns were not strong enough to validate the decision. Also looked hard and long at Robt Whitleys 6mm AR Turbo AI. Thought about a 6x45 (6mm/.223), and same deal.

About the only Grendel worth doing, if you are precision oriented, would be a Satern.

Keep loking at stag. For the price they are amazing and some how always mentioned but forgotten about. I'm shooting a stag model 6 with 24" bbl and this thing is amazing out of the box with crap ammo to season the barrel its 3/4moa and I have no reason to believe that with good ammo with a little heavier bullet to match the 1-8 twist that it won't be sub 1/2moa. For $600 I'm also thinking of adding the model 7 upper to get a little more pop for dear season here in michigan.

Have you looked into Bushmaster since you allready have a Bushy lower? I run an all Spikes Tactical in 5.56 with a 1:7 twist barrel, shoots both the 55 and 62 gr. really well.

I have Bushmaster 5.56 16" 1:9 twist upper(60gr sp). I was just looking for a different caliber. Little more thump. I take my 5.56 when I go out for walks, its easy light to carry. I am really looking at stag 7H. I know they might be better quality but from what I been reading over the past few days it seems hard to beat for the money.

Yes I would like to have another 223. But if i do will be a varmint rifle 24".

I think in the future I would still like to have 6.5G 24" sabre later on.

Anyone else got any input on the stag (thanks for the positive input NY700) or uppers around that price range?

I lucked out and was able to find a slightly used 6.5G Satern barrel and was able to avoid their leadtimes. Problem is that a Satern barrel is going to dang near eat up your budget by itself....I roll my own, so walking into a store to by ammo is not a deciding factor for me.

Stork I think Bushmaster makes uppers in different calibres.

I think DPMS only makes a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I love my 22" 6.5 grendel. Would never get rid of it, it's just magic at long range from such a small little cartridge. People compare it to a 308, maybe it's not there or maybe it is, but it's close enough from a gun that is far lighter and half the recoil. Everything is a trade off.

I would buy a 6.8 16-18" barrel for a short to mid range hunting gun, though.

Ammo is, as stated above, the big gripe with 6.5. Hornady is loading factory ammo coming out in the spring with a 123 AMAX and Black Hills is loading for the LBC-264 which will work in the grendel. It's moving in the right direction at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncyotecaller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am dealing with the same debate right now to but my intended use for either would be inside 300yd deer hunting. With that being said do you guys think either would work for me?</div></div>

Either one. 6.8 ammo is a little cheaper, that's all. Everyone says that the 6.8 is better at close range. Not sure what that means. Maybe in the early stages before different loads were out for 6.5, but surely not now. The muzzle velocties are comparable in barrels under 20".

Does a 6.8 110 gr barnes triple shock work better than a 6.5 120 gr triple shock at similar velocity?

Or the speer 85 gr 6.8 HPs vs. 90 gr speer 6.5 HPs?

6.5 130 swift scirocco/ 6.5 120 ballistic tip vs. 110 nosler accubond?

There are bullets loaded for 6.5 that perform at close ranges, long ranges, penetrate deep, or blow up on varmints. Not sure what more people expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone got any input on stag products? </div></div>

I have had great luck with Stag products both the 5.56 and 6.8... I took two mule deer does this year with my 16" 6.8 Stag (Model 5) using Hornady 6.8mm SPC 110 gr V-MAX bullets.

*Also Stag has great customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone got any input on stag products? </div></div>

I have had great luck with Stag products both the 5.56 and 6.8... I took two mule deer does this year with my 16" 6.8 Stag (Model 5) using Hornady 6.8mm SPC 110 gr V-MAX bullets.

*Also Stag has great customer service. </div></div>

What kind of groups are you getting with your 6.8?

To be honest, I have not shot any 5 shot groups with the rifle... I had limited time to get a 100 yard zero and I was out hunting... I will have to shoot some groups this spring...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stork I think Bushmaster makes uppers in different calibres. </div></div>

They dont make 6.5G
They dont make a 6.8 in the requirments I am looking for.
The 450 is to much of a lob round for what I am wanting to use it for.

Sorry Stork I just knew they made them in different calibers I was not for sure which ones, was trying to be helpfull. I used to have a Stag I sold it to a friend that was going over seas on his 4th tour just before he left. They make quality stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Stork I just knew they made them in different calibers I was not for sure which ones, was trying to be helpfull. I used to have a Stag I sold it to a friend that was going over seas on his 4th tour just before he left. They make quality stuff. </div></div>

Yea, i wasnt trying to be a prick. I am very surprised though with Bushmaster, not coming out with more variations of the 6.8. They offer very few caliber choices in the AR-15 compared to some other manufactures.

I am really leaning toward the Stag. I think as soon as I get enough money together(few months) I will order me one.

I did not take it that Stork were good. You wont go wrong with Stag they make good stuff and thier customer service is good to go.

Stork,

I have one of the WOA match barrels from Rainerarms.com (can't say enough Rainier's quality workmanship and fantastic customer service) in the 18" length 6.8 SPC. The first five shots through the barrel at 100 yards with Silver State Armory 115 gr OTM Load went into a group a hair under 1/2 inch. Just a fantastic barrel. You could have Rainier build you up an upper with the same barrel or a 16" for about $875.00 for parts plus probably some $$$ for assembly. Or you could put it together or someone you know. I looked on their site and added up the parts you would need assuming a barrel, basic upper, YHM or saylor flash hider, basic gas block, 6.8 BCG, charge handle, and one of these very cool, very light handguards. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=railedforearms_vikingtactics

Just a thought, hope you find what you are looking for.

Last year i purchased a Stag Hunter rifle and put a Aimpoint red dot scope on it. I have mostly shot plates at 100 yards and 200 yards with it but have not shot it for accuracy. Old eyes and a red dot are not the best setup. It is a handy rifle to carry in the field - no game yet.
Last year i also purchased a Les Baer varmint upper in 6.5 Grendel with 24" barrelto put on a RRA National Match lower. Topped with a Burris 6-18x scope it is not a walking rifle. The Grendel brass by Lapua is expensive. My only reloads so far have been with Sierra 120 grain soft points. No one hole five shot groups but i am happy with its accuracy out to 250 yards. Velocities so far have been disappointing with 2230 maxing out at 2300 ft/sec. My next venture will be with 123 grain Hornady A-max bullets and 123 grain Sierra HPBT bullets using AA2520 and WIN748. Hopefully my velocities will be substantially higher.
I like them both.

I looked at that 6.5 for sale.I dont know that company. Who all manufacters 6.5 grendel (complete uppers/or complete rifles). The only manufacters I know of is Alexander and Sabre?

6.5 Grendel:

-Les Baer
-Alexander Arms
-Sabre
-JT Distributing (Doublestar)
-Model 1 Sales (economy uppers)
-Rainier (using a Sabre barrel)
-JP Enterprises (JP cryo barrels, VTAC handguards)
-Templar Consulting (assembles high end guns, good rep on 6.5 gren forums)
-Precision Firearms (again assembled uppers, good rep and they commercial load match ammo for sale that seems to be in stock often)

Probably more, those are just the ones that come to mind.

68SPCChart.jpg

16" Barrel length has been proven to best velocities in 6.8SPC, I would recommend 6.8x43 or SPCII chamering the above chart should leave you able to narrow it down on your own to what you want.

It boils down to this, what do you want to use the rifle for?

Short Range / Short Barrel: Sub 500yds
16" 6.8spc 100-115g Great for Hunting(small-med size game)/Tactical Work

Long Range / Target Long Barrel: 500-1200yds
20-24" 6.5Grendel 123-144g Also good for Hunting sub 500yds but greater BC allow for greater Ballistic properties after 500yds, While similar Ballistically to 308 does not provide as much KE after 650yds, great for target shooting. Also great for reloaders due to the available bullets in 6.5mm, not so great if you just want to shoot.

Hey i was doing some research. This may sound stupid question but on the 6.8 do you need charging handle, bolt, bolt carrier?
Or could I used some of them or all of them off my 5.56 upper?
On bison armory you can leave out those components, to cut cost and on AR15 performance it mentions something like that.

If thats the case I could buy an upper say from bison or another company. Get it without the bolt, bolt carrier, handle. Then I could purchase the upper sooner. use the stuff off of my 5.56 then just order another set of the it later, and it would be parts of my choosing.

You need a 6.8 bolt (preferably one that someone checked with your barrel for proper headspace just to be sure). You can swap out your charging handle and carrier though. Just pull the retainer pin out the side of your carrier, drop out the firing pin, pull the cam pin up and out and stick your new bolt in, then reassemble. Very easy.

You could strip down your whole 5.56 upper with proper tools and just replace the barrel, bolt, and magazine. Assuming you have a compatible length gas system. Get some PRI mags while you are at it. They are simply the best for the 6.8.

Hey there is a 6.5 grendel upper that just showed up in the for sale section. 16' for $550.00. It is a good deal!

Thats a little short for the 6.5 to put out decent numbers, the show the best results in longer barrels 20-24"