• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15's and ammo drying again up?

redneckbmxer24

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    I've noticed in the last couple weeks that AR15's seem to be getting harder to come by and ammo is the same way. A lot of places seem to be going out of stock.

Has anybody else noticed this?

I don't know if its fear of the next election after what happened last time, it being 2012 and some claiming the world will end, the economy and situation in the country getting worse, people getting their tax returns, or a combination of them all.

Either way it seems to me as if the craze is starting again. I ended up buying a couple more AR15's and going to all the local walmarts and buying them out of the federal black box 223. I'm going to continue to stock up for what I will need until things settle down next year. 2009 was just ridiculous trying to get a little bit of ammo to go shooting god forbid reloading components.

Re: AR15's and ammo drying again up?

Not counting the russian stuff, the best deal I've found lately was $335 for 1k shipped for PMC bronze 55gr thru aimsurplus. I just order 1k myself. M885 seems to be running $360 for 840 before shipping, none of the local ranges around here allow for steel core ammo anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">people getting their tax returns, </div></div>

I stopped by a pawn shop yesterday late afternoon to see what guns they had as I do every couple of months and the girl said I was one of their first customers of the day. She said its always dead around tax time because everyone gets their tax returns and isn't in there trying to unload stuff. So I wonder if what you're seeing isn't due to the same thing, i.e. people with poor money management practices buying up guns with their tax returns.

I havent seen or sensed that down here yet..(Jacksonville Fl). Although I've heard a few talking about the possibility of a repeat of last election time craziness.. I'll be keeping an eye on it..

I am betting with all the 'Doomsday Prepper' shows etc and talk of economic collapse, power grid crashing, Jellystone going up in smoke, etc etc on the tube there will be a number of people with no guns, no ammo, no food, no water storage etc start to stock pile chit for a while. Not surprised at all with all mentioned above, upcoming elections etc that 'assault' weapons, ammo etc will take a big jump in prices and/or be hard to find for the next yr or more.

But then.....what the hell do I know.
    smile.gif

I figured this was going to happen with the election coming up but didn't think it would start until Aug or so. I think all of the of the Doomsday shows are the biggest reason right now. I know my brother in law read Patriots and decided it was time to get his stuff together. He's already ordered a RRA ar and bought a spikes lower in the last month. Trying to explain to him why it takes 2 weeks for an ammo site to fill an order was pretty funny for his first ammo order. Now he understands nothing in the ar world will get to him in a hurry right now.

To be honest, I haven't noticed much of an uptick here in Florida but I think momentum is building that way. Little indicators like conversations, more people looking at the AR's at shows, etc.

I disagree. Ammo is pretty cheap again (online) and in our local "trader" ARs and AKs are back down to reasonable prices. Hell, even M&P is advertising M-4geries @ 599.00

I'm picking up another Bushmaster for 700.00 this weekend.
    ...just look around some more.

Has anyone noticed the .22 price jump at walmart? Federal red box 550 was 15.47 two weeks ago, 19.97 yesterday.

Winchester 550 16.47 to 21.97 in a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plt228</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured this was going to happen with the election coming up but didn't think it would start until Aug or so. </div></div> If you have not used the last three + years to get prepared then you have to wonder what they heck people have been doing.

If you hit the major retailers, they seem to have good pricing and in stock. I bought a Stag Model 3 for 749 at Dicks.. had the Diamond forearm.. why not?

CTD, GunGenie and others are all out of stock. Mass Retailers have Merchants not in tune to the market and they MAPP the price out. The window is closing though... they are learning.

buddy of mine just got an e-mail from graf & sons saying that they were starting to see a delay in components from their suppliers and to get your orders in to avoid lack of availability...

If people would not freak out, and gossip about it, it won't happen again...

tax refund people buy up all the video game guns! AR'S AK'S glock's and the ammo to match im sure you wont find any shortage of higher end AR'S or any custom or precision guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vereor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If people would not freak out, and gossip about it, it won't happen again... </div></div>

LOL, no shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vereor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If people would not freak out, and gossip about it, it won't happen again... </div></div>

But the reality is that they do so count on it and plan accordingly. The whole thing is a goofy cyclic catch-22 but supply and demand rules still apply.

Election year, people are afraid of Komrade Oba Mao pushing through gun legislature, so they feel the need to "get it while they can"

After the last election i got a ton of cheap loading components from dumbasses that bought up all the could and stockpiled. So i hope all the douches buy it all up again so 3 months after the election i can buy it from them "on sale".

Im still shooting 20 dollar a box cci primers and 12 dollar a brick 22s. Dipshits didnt realize they couldnt return it and when the world didnt end decided you cant eat ammo and needed the cash.

Yup...not seeing it here...yet, but it may begin by mid-year. AR's can still be found on big box floors for sub $700...virgin lowers...$50 and up. Rifle kits...$450 and up. You can build an AR today with BETTER than colt/milspec components, including a hammer forged barrel, for less than $600. AK prices are going up but that is a supply/demand issue with respect to the number of kits imported.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the last election i got a ton of cheap loading components from dumbasses that bought up all the could and stockpiled. So i hope all the douches buy it all up again so 3 months after the election i can buy it from them "on sale". </div></div>

Stop posting about it. Some of them may be hiding amongst us.
    grin.gif

Wal Mart in Hernando had a boatload of Ammo ,and still had the ARs on display..
    Note,
    The Fed point twotwo l.r. 550 rd bx is now 19.97,up 1 dollar....
    plus tax ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think most of the record sales if any will come after the election pertaining to whomever wins but we'll see. </div></div>

If that's the case and it goes the way it probably will, there's going to be a mad rush on ammo. I personally think we're going to see the mad rush in the month or so before the election and a massive spike after. It sucks for the non-horders but it's simple market economics.

A lot of the industry is seeing spikes in sales starting again, it's just like the rush after the last election. It's great for the gun industry!!

I have a friend in the ammo business that sells wholesale and at gunshows. He said the demand started a while back and he is tired (but making a lot of money). He offered the explanation it is like "2008 all over again".