• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR22 for .22 PRS/NRL type matches?

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Who here is using a AR22 style rifle for these kinds of competitions?

I may dip my toes into the precision .22lr world in the near future, but don't have the funds to build a dedicated Rim-X/Vudoo build (unless I sell one of my center-fire rifles to fund).

I'm debating about assembling a precision AR-22 rifle, something like a CLE match rifle upper or a Keystone Upper build to pair with my existing SR-15 lower.

I guess I'm curious if such a build would be competitive in these competitions, or if I would just be trying to kick water uphill. I understand that for ultimate accuracy bolt guns are king (just like center-fire), but would the precision of a CLE match upper or a Keystone be at least somewhat competitive?

I'm not looking to set the rimfire world on fire, just to have fun with an accurate enough rifle to at least be somewhat competitive in these matches. Bonus is that such a rifle would make a good trainer for the CD Team Safari matches that I plan on shooting in.

Anyways, look forward to the discussion and hearing thoughts from the crowd here.

We have a few people who started with AR22 style rifles for these competitions. For the basic NRL22 where the target sizes are 3 MOA and a lot of targets under 100 yards, the AR22 style rifles did okay... maybe 60-70% hit rate. Once it stretched past 100, they just weren't precise enough.

Finding a used Vudoo/RimX for like $1500 is probably the best budget point in terms of reutilizing all your CF chassis/scopes/rings etc.

JP is trying to build a more precise 22 upper, but JP prices aren't cheap :p

Just having a random precise bolt action 22, you can do it with like a CZ 457, but then there's no "trainer" aspect.

my personal experience is that a Kidd 10/22 can be competitive, I have actually never seen an AR pattern 22 at an NRL/PRS type match, so not sure if they would have sufficient accuracy.

Reactions: kthomas
I went down this road hard. Attempt #1 was the .22 conversion that was the basis of JP's earlier offering. Can't for the life of me remember the name. (Edited to add the name was Nordic. Just remembered.) Function was ok, accuracy was so-so. Attempt #2 was one of the CLE conversions with a barrel from them. Finally got it to run reliably with match ammo by removing 10% of the bolt mass with a milling machine. Accuracy was OK, but not great. I also tried a friend's JP. Same issue.

I borrowed a CMMG upper from a friend some time ago. Ran 500 rounds through it on full auto, and it never hiccuped once. Didn't even lube it. That got me to thinking, so I had a local smith turn a Shilen Ratchet for me with all the funky machining needed to get it to run with the CMMG bolt. That's attempt #3, and it's fantastic. It runs match ammo like a sewing machine, and the accuracy rivals my Vudoo. I built it to compete in a local PRS match, and then the match got canceled due to lack of participation so I never got to use it for its intended purpose. I have shot it at our local prone long range match, and it's competitive with everything else on the line.

It's not an inexpensive barrel, but it is wonderful. At our prone matches we have banks of ten targets at each distance. If I can get a wind call on a big plate on the first shot, I can rip the rest very quickly before the wind changes. It's a ton of fun.

I've had couple people show up to our monthly nrl22 match with AR clones and they did the best they could but it was very frustrating for them.

The rifles were set up for more of "steel challenge" type shooting, no option to mount bipods or bipods mounted without QD. Scopes were 1-6 zoom at best, ammo: bulk from the box.

If you're going to do it, see post above me as its a possibility to get it right. Semi Autos sure have a certain advantage in the 22 game.

I think you got it right, kicking water uphill. Buy a bolt gun and be the bolt guy at the team match. On the other hand, I have been waiting to see what JP comes up with. Gotta be good.

Reactions: kthomas
I think you got it right, kicking water uphill. Buy a bolt gun and be the bolt guy at the team match. On the other hand, I have been waiting to see what JP comes up with. Gotta be good.

Sounds like bolt gun is the way to go. I'll have to save up for a bit before I jump into the precision .22 world, as I know I'll want a full blown Rim-X build. Will probably have to sell my .300NM or get a hell of a good paying job :ROFLMAO:

As for the other match, what I end up shooting depends ultimately on who my partner ends up being. I'm okay being either the gasser or the bolt gun guy. I don't necessarily need a .22 to practice that, though I already have a .22lr upper that I could use for that anyways (Rainer Arms RUC .22lr upper).

• Haha
Reactions: Badjujuu