• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR500 Steel and Welding?

NYShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2007
New York
I'm having some 3/8" AR500 steel targets made and plan on having a bracket welded on the back of the target when done. This will allow me to mount the target on a post.

Will welding a piece of steel tubing on the back of the 3/8" target affect the hardness of the steel on the strike face?

Re: AR500 Steel and Welding?

Yes but as long as you don't use to much weld it won't be enough to matter. Do you know how to weld AR500? Hard steals aren't the same as mild steal, they will form stress fractures if done wrong. If you weld it properly then you don't need extra weld which will effect the surface less. To be honest it probably isn't much of an issue. What are you shooting it with and at how far? I'd be more worried about large caliber stuff (.338LM and up at less than 400 yards maybe?) to close in which case 3/8" isn't enough to begin with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes but as long as you don't use to much weld it won't be enough to matter. Do you know how to weld AR500? Hard steals aren't the same as mild steal, they will form stress fractures if done wrong. If you weld it properly then you don't need extra weld which will effect the surface less. To be honest it probably isn't much of an issue. What are you shooting it with and at how far? I'd be more worried about large caliber stuff (.338LM and up at less than 400 yards maybe?) to close in which case 3/8" isn't enough to begin with. </div></div>

I'm going to pay a local experienced welder to do the welds for me. I have no experience welding.

I plan on shooting it with .223 at 150-200 and then pistol calibers at pistol distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich219</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes but as long as you don't use to much weld it won't be enough to matter. Do you know how to weld AR500? Hard steals aren't the same as mild steal, they will form stress fractures if done wrong. If you weld it properly then you don't need extra weld which will effect the surface less. To be honest it probably isn't much of an issue. What are you shooting it with and at how far? I'd be more worried about large caliber stuff (.338LM and up at less than 400 yards maybe?) to close in which case 3/8" isn't enough to begin with. </div></div>

I'm going to pay a local experienced welder to do the welds for me. I have no experience welding.

I plan on shooting it with .223 at 150-200 and then pistol calibers at pistol distances.
</div></div>

Overkill

It does not matter a shit ,Tell him to use a low hy rod

Keep in mind that if it ever gets any pits in the surface then shooting it at pistol distance is unsafe. I keep my pistol and rifle steel seperate for this reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind that if it ever gets any pits in the surface then shooting it at pistol distance is unsafe. I keep my pistol and rifle steel seperate for this reason. </div></div>

I'm having more than one made, some will be rifle and others will be pistol to avoid the issue you mentioned.

Thanks.