• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR500 target gong thickness

79M1a-texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2005
Denton County, Texas
Looking for advice on proper thickness of target for 338 LM. Target distance will be 650 yards. Was hoping to find target in 3/4" thickness. Would a 1/2" target survive long term hits? Looking at 8" diameter size.

Even 3/8” you aren’t going to put a hole through it, and maybe not even dent it with hunting or target bullets at that distance. Also its a $20-30 plate tops, hang it, and smack it. You will spend way more money in ammo than the plate costs. I’ve got some 3/8” plates shot hard with 308 and 556 at 15-20 yards that are dented and pitted, but are still solid.

Reactions: deersniper
I think the 1/2" will be fine as long as you are not shooting ammo with any steel in it. Check your ammo with a magnet you will be surprised. The biggest issue with 338LM and 600 yard targets is the energy that it is carrying you will need a solid mounting system or it will just knock it over.

you will be just fine with our 1/2” AR500. And any farther I’d recommend 3/8”.
We do have a select few 3/4” AR500 targets in stock as well if you are really wanting to go thicker for closer ranges.
Thanks!

jcsteeltargets.com

Mine is a 2/3 silhouette 3/8” thick

I’ve shot mine with 338 Lapua with no issues.

As mentioned above the biggest thing will be how you mount it. Mine angle down slightly so the bullet deflects to the ground vs shrapnel getting sent everywhere. Also hangs on chains from a steel sawhorse designed stand I made

The ability to swing when hit I’m sure helps a lot with the wear on it. I’ve shot this target inside 50 yards with 556 55 gr FMJ without issue

EEBAE4F8-3076-43C8-B2A9-2DB4435CAEA7.png

Regardless of how thick the steel is your best option is to find a way to mount the target so it sits at an angle so it deflects part of the energy down into the ground verses the plate absorbing all of the bullet impact. The German's figured this out in the early 1940's with sloped armor on the Panther and Tiger II tanks.

Attachments

• Target Angle.jpg
    Target Angle.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Tono
This is the "Hang Fast Target", short range rifle target and it works great.

Attachments

• Hang Fast Target.jpg
    Hang Fast Target.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 38
3/8 and 1/2 will be fine with 338 lm past 200 yards

All my steel is 1/2" and I haven't had any problems. I have them hanging from conveyor belt material and also have springs between the steel and the belt/strap. That way they all angle down. I think with that spring and the belt, they move enough on impact that my plates all still look new.

3/8” or 1/2” was fine when i had my .338 Lapua, 200-1000 yards, kind of wish I never bought the 1/2” thick plate because now with 6.5cm it barely moves at 1000 and is hard to spot hits without fresh paint

Plate needs to be thick enough to not deform, significantly thicker than needed means heavier. Heavier plate can lead to excessive energy absorbed before plate can move, which can lead to damage.
3/8”, AR-500 is hard to beat for general purpose and is more than enough for a 338 LM @ 650 yds provided target can swing / move to spread out impact energy over time.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Another +1 for 3/8”. I use a mat material which I imagine is similar to conveyor belt material. It swings great and is self sealing as well.

2600 FPS is the magic number for steel at distance. You can increase the life of the steel or increase the FPS requirement
IMG_7446.JPG
with having live steel, I.E. HANGING it from fire hose or chains.