• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR57 vs Sig P556 Swat for SHTF CQC

Svartur_Skuggi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2010
Jefferson ; Texas
I've been on this site for a bit now, and so far no one has told me wrong as far as input on guns.
I am still working on my DTA project, as I still have another barrel to buy.
However; I was looking at CQC weapons for family protection should SHTF.
I was looking at the PS90 but came across the AR57 upper ( AR57 Upper )with 12" barrel that I could place a folding stock on. I would have 50 rounds of the 5.7x28mm and in full auto (or simulated full auto) I figure the round might actually be pretty good.
I also came across the Sig P556 Swat ( Sig 556 Swat )that I could do the paperwork on and turn it SBR. It fires the 5.56 round which has more umph then the 5.7 but you can still reaquire your target in a faster time then lets say a .308.
Anyways; I havent found much on the 5.7 except EA ammo and vids from you tube. I know about the 5.56 so its no biggy.
So; from those on here in the know............
IS AR57 a good replacement for the PS90? And if so; would the 5.7 make a good protection round in close quarters?
Out of each weapon , which would you pick up? The 50 rounder or the 30 rounder?
And please remember , either of these will have the paperwork done to be SBR...........

As always thanks Everyone.

Re: AR57 vs Sig P556 Swat for SHTF CQC

If truly worried about SHTF, skip getting another gun. Instead buy lots of non-perishable food, water and a really thick door for your basement. Just my .02 when "SHTF" is mentioned.

Thanks Hawk. However I have plenty of food stored and a very nice shelter. But all doors can be gotten pass, and in those times a gun will be needed to protect what you have. I dont think harsh words is gonna scare the bad people away.

skip the 5.7 stick with something like the 5.56, way more ammo choices that 5.7 and 5.56 will be around more when the SHTF. If your gona go the SBR route look at something like a draco ak pistol, even more effective as an SBR round. Also the 6.8 and 300 black out are better SBR rounds than 5.56. Also dont forget about the good ole 12ga for home defense.

Think about this, the 5.7 can be shot out of some 22 suppressors that are magnum rated, that kinda puts 5.7 in a rem-fire family for me, not what I want for home defense

Agreed. I love the 7.62X39 for defense, and affordability. If you want to stock up on ammo (which it seems like you do), the FN's 5.7 round will cost you $$$. Shoot, for an AR 57 you could get a Draco SBR'd and 1000 rounds.