• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Archangel for Mosin?

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
I'm thinking of replacing the stock on my M44 Mosin. After replacing the trigger with a Timney and working up handloads, the rifle shoots 1.25 moa 3-shot groups so I'm thinking it would be a decent pig gun. However I had to really hogout the old stock to make room for the safety so it's pretty thin in places and screws are shimmed.

I see bad reviews on Archangel stocks for Mausers here but nothing on the Mosin. Any experience with Archangels on Mosins? Better choices out there? I checked Boyd's and Stockys but they don't make one for the Mosin.

Boyd's most certainly does have them- including doing the Timney inlet.
I honestly never cared much for the aesthetics of the ProMag stock, but if you want a DBM it's the only way to get one. Usually the fitment is suitable, but sometimes there needs to be some dremel work on the polymer to get the action screws lined up properly with the pillars.

My suggestion is to go with the Boyd's (Richard's Microfit also has stocks, but they are unfinished and require some work), and do a proper epoxy bedding job to maximize the accuracy you can wring out of the rifle. Sometimes MN's are more inaccurate than they'd otherwise be in a properly fitted stock. Not uncommon for those with a good bore and shortened barrel to shoot minute of angle with handloads.

I have a wonderful Mosin m28/76… it’s hard to beat the stock during the time period. I’d carve a custom stock personally if I were building another. I went 260 rem but I’d go 6.5x54r if I were to do it over again.

I have no complaints on the feel of the original stock it's just somewhat butchered on the inside after fitting the Timney with safety.

I refinished the stock years ago but the wood was to hard to take an oil finish so I rattle canned it and the rest of the rifle. Then I bought a spam can of corrosive Russian ammo and banged away. The trigger REALLY sucked so I changed it.
20160318_201454.jpg
20160319_125927.jpg
20160905_173223.jpg
20160905_174908.jpg
20161008_121512.jpg

Reactions: Alpinebeard