• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Archery ? Rip Cord drop away?

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys I'm toying with the idea of getting the Rip Cord drop away rest and wondering what you all thought about it. I currently have the same old Whisker Biscuit everyone else has. So I guess my questions would be is it worth it for a hunting application where I need to keep the arrow from flopping all over the place and are there any pitfalls that I might be missing to using this rest or a drop away in general and can I expect to see an improvement in my group size??

I primarily target shoot but it's all in preparation to hunt with.

Thanks guys!

Re: Archery ? Rip Cord drop away?

I made the swich to the rip cord two years ago, and really like it.I have 5~6k arrows though mine and it has performed flawlessly. Wish i had done it sooner.

I have shot a Ripcord for a few years as well. Not a problem one. Great rest.

One might also want to take a look into the LimbDriver rests.

Do you shoot with a release aid? If so a string loop will increase accuracy more then anything else. The fall-a-way rest will be an improvement at ranges over thirty yards just because of it's free flight characteristics.

I look at it this way. All the technology that goes into a compound bow why waste it on a rest that is constantly effecting the arrow through out it transition from the string to your target. I shoot the Rip Cord Code Red and I love it. There are a lot of great dropaways on the market and I would say nearly 90% of them are better than a Buscuit. I would recommend that if you decide to shoot the Rip Cord that you avoid using the football duhicky they supply to attach your rest string to your down cable. Have your Pro-Shop serve it directly into into your cable. This is less likely to fail at the moment you never want something like that to fail and it can save on the noise factor also. A few others come to mind like Trophy Ridge Drop zone and Quad Ultra, G5 Expert series, Limbdriver are all excellent choices. Good Luck

I use a rip cord and have for several years. I used a biscuit before, but it got wet and it froze one hunt. I don't need that voodoo, so I switched. If you live somewhere warm, I'd guess you won't need to worry.

Ripcord, Dropzone, Limbdriver, and Whammy are all tried and true dropaways that work well. Everyone has their favorite.

Tying directly to your cable may affect your bows cams timing so make sure you are aware of this if you ever decide to do it. I have shot most all of them over the years. All of my current bows except for a recurve wear the LimbDrivers.

I had one of the original drop away rests, 20 yrs ago. I saw all I needed to see about a drop away rest, way back when. Went back to a prong type rest (3D Rover) until the Bisquit came out. I found the Bisquit was rough on feathers, so I switched to Blazer vanes. But it is sturdy, quiet and holds your arrow very well, so losing the feathers was no big deal. I suppose if the conditions are right, it COULD freeze, but so would untreated feathers or the open on impact broadheads that are so popular now. I actually USE my bow for hunting. My bow is not cased, as I work my way to my deer stands. Drop away rests and any other fragile little gadgets hanging off of my bow don't fare too well. I don't follow the latest/greatest/most expensive market. I use items for hunting, because of the way they perform, not because neighbor Joe showed up shooting with it at the latest 3D shoot. So, my vote is to keep the Bisquit.

I do not find them in the least bit more fragile than anything else. I actually don't think I have broken any rests in the past 30+ years of serious archery hunting and shooting.

Thanks for the info guys, I just had the Rip Cord installed and it's awesome.

Thanks for the info!

thank goodness you got rid of that ugly assed biscuit hahahaha

Got to throw my 2 cents in the pot.

QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro is my favorite

HD-REST1.png

http://www.qadinc.com/2011-HD.html

<span style="font-weight: bold">INFO ^</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">When you knock an arrow you cock it into the up position so the arrow is captured, it cannot fall while you sit for a shot. It only drops away when the arrow is released.
</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Its super quiet, no vibrations after the shot, have not had problems with clearance or with it being too fast or too slow to drop, it captures your arrow and it does not rattle around, it does not fall away if you come to full draw and have to let down without taking a shot, no speed loss like you get with a whisker biscuit, has easy to see hash marks for easy adjustments, comes with pre cut felt to keep it silent, very solid, big allen head adj screws...what else is there, oh yeah its not cheap but neither are quality scopes for rifles.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not find them in the least bit more fragile than anything else. I actually don't think I have broken any rests in the past 30+ years of serious archery hunting and shooting. </div></div>

My friend's wife dropped her matthews 16 feet down with the rip cord and noting one bit.

I have the code red and absolutely love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icecreamman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not find them in the least bit more fragile than anything else. I actually don't think I have broken any rests in the past 30+ years of serious archery hunting and shooting. </div></div>

My friend's wife dropped her matthews 16 feet down with the rip cord and noting one bit.

I have the code red and absolutely love it. </div></div>

Thats a bad feeling there. I was sitting in my stand with gun and bow one day. Had a young buck messing with does out around 100yds so I put the bow on my EZ hanger and grabbed the 44 mag thinking it might attract something nice... Heard something behind me and over my shoulder so I slowly turned my head to get a look... It was my bow hanger ripping out of the tree sending my three month old Reezen 25 feet to the ground. It looked and sounded ugly but the only two things that got tore up were my QD mount for my stabilizer and the arrow I had knocked. Lightening had struck the tree above my stand after the previous season and I did not re mount my hanger... Whoops

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank goodness you got rid of that ugly assed biscuit hahahaha </div></div>

Yeah that was lame, I was embarrassed to be seen with it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icecreamman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not find them in the least bit more fragile than anything else. I actually don't think I have broken any rests in the past 30+ years of serious archery hunting and shooting. </div></div>

I have the code red and absolutely love it. </div></div>

Thats a bad feeling there. I was sitting in my stand with gun and bow one day. Had a young buck messing with does out around 100yds so I put the bow on my EZ hanger and grabbed the 44 mag thinking it might attract something nice... Heard something behind me and over my shoulder so I slowly turned my head to get a look... It was my bow hanger ripping out of the tree sending my three month old Reezen 25 feet to the ground. It looked and sounded ugly but the only two things that got tore up were my QD mount for my stabilizer and the arrow I had knocked. Lightening had struck the tree above my stand after the previous season and I did not re mount my hanger... Whoops </div></div>

Ouch! The worse thing I have ever dropped out of a tree was my brand new rang finder and that was around a 20 foot drop and it was a strait drop on a frozen ground. Broke it and took it back to walmart saying it was a POS and they took it back. Of course I have my calls that get dropped at least every year. Oddly enough it was the same day she dropped her bow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got to throw my 2 cents in the pot.

QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro is my favorite

HD-REST1.png

http://www.qadinc.com/2011-HD.html

<span style="font-weight: bold">INFO ^</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">When you knock an arrow you cock it into the up position so the arrow is captured, it cannot fall while you sit for a shot. It only drops away when the arrow is released.
</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Its super quiet, no vibrations after the shot, have not had problems with clearance or with it being too fast or too slow to drop, it captures your arrow and it does not rattle around, it does not fall away if you come to full draw and have to let down without taking a shot, no speed loss like you get with a whisker biscuit, has easy to see hash marks for easy adjustments, comes with pre cut felt to keep it silent, very solid, big allen head adj screws...what else is there, oh yeah its not cheap but neither are quality scopes for rifles.</span> </div></div>

Getting a Z7 Extreme set up now with that rest, it is the SH$%!!!

I hated the Wisker Biscuit. Sold it and got a Rip Cord. Rip Cord is a great rest.

I've got a "hostage rescue" rest from Bowtech or Octane, whatever its branded. Its what the Whisker Biscuit should be. Its idiot-proof and works great for me.

There are a lot of capture rests around $50 that only put pressure on 3 small areas, instead of the entire circumference like a Whisker Biscuit. This way your arrow vanes aren't damaged over time, but still holds the arrow securely at any angle. They're also a lot simpler than a drop-away rest... less to go wrong.

I like the limbdriver.
Trophy taker drop away also worked good.
Not a fan of the whisker bisket.