• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Arcteryx LEAF Question: Atom LT or Naga?

CaptainHammer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm looking to replace my old fleece jacket, but not sure if I want to go with arc's atom LT or naga hoodie. Which is better for ALL AROUND use? Use with a shell?
Appreciate any helpful tips.

Re: Arcteryx LEAF Question: Atom LT or Naga?

Not sure there's a huge difference. The Naga is cheaper but actually looks more like it will stand up to being worn as an outer layer/jacket. The atom looks more like a rugged mid-layer. Ultimately, depends on your intended use and temp range. If you are going to use a shell, the atom may be more of what you are looking for. I have various Arc stuff (for climbing) and it is well built.

The Atom LT is a great mid-layer jacket. Very light weight and will compress to a small aize.

I haven't see a Naga in person yet. But most of the LEAF line is designed around wearing armor. So the seams aren't across the top of the shoulders so the stitiching won't dig into you under the weight of the armor.

But the Naga does appear to be more of a softshell material and would be a bit more durable than the Atom LT. I have a Atom and its a grab and go jacket for sure. Would work well with a shell like a Alpha LT.

Grey Group Training usually has a fair amount of Arcteryx in stock so check out their website.

Cut

Noted. Appreciate it.
I read on arc's site that the naga is made of polartec powerstreatch, I probably should have posed this question more like: which is better, corloft or fleece?

Just a plain fleece isn't much without some type of shell. Wind will go right through it. It's cheaper than corloft, but corloft is better when you are expecting damp to wet when you are outside. Corloft will dry faster than fleece.

Me personally I don't wear straight fleece anymore unless as a layer. I will wear my Atom jacket just about anywhere I go and will be fine in whatever conditions are.

It's hard to get a one jacket will do everything. But I do enjoy my Atom LT, my Alpha LT, and my Fission SV. I normally just grab one or two of these since I have bought them.

I have TAD gear, Columbia and Carhartt and still just go back to Arcteryx for most of my outdoor time.

Cut

The atom is very similar to a zip-out liner in a ski jacket, I would not plan on wearing this as a stand alone jacket.

In regards to the fleece, I wouldn't disregard the Bravo Jacket. It's a soft-shell with a liner, and I use this to layer under a uniform cammie blouse. It does a damn fine job of blocking wind.