• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Air rifles the pacifier or alternative to ammo availability & cost?

Much as I appreciate the quality of my 22 cal RWS 54, the tankers at my local range
have allowed me to try a variety of their pcp rifles ranging in caliber from 17 to 50
and I have to admit, for the same price of the 54, the pcp target rifles are more accurate.
But, the cost of the ancillary equipment needed is prohibitive.
Plus it's a 60 minute drive, round trip, to the nearest dive shop that'll fill a tank.
I'll stick with my side lever Air King as it does what I need.
On a calm day I can produce 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards, off the bench.
Also, the springer saves me from wasting expensive ammo,
while I relearn what I forgot during the preceding week.

rws54-balance.JPG

Last edited:
Jbell, you are talking mainly about 10 meter competition PCP air rifles. They are all low power and group one hole at that distance. On the other hand, precision spring piston guns like AA TX 200 and HW 97 K will group .5" at 50 yards...this is something Olympic 10 meter PCPs were not designed to do.

That is cool. Like I said as far as air goes these are all I know. Well actually the older SSP rifles (FWB 602, 603, Anschutz 2002, ect) but the accuracy is the same, as I am just getting back into air.

Does anyone know what can be expected of the olympic grade air guns if you put a scope on it and shoot say 25-50 meters? Would even longer ranges be feasible compared to more powerful target grade PCP's, or could you boost the pressure some while still retaining its consistency?

Does anyone know what can be expected of the olympic grade air guns if you put a scope on it and shoot say 25-50 meters? Would even longer ranges be feasible compared to more powerful target grade PCP's, or could you boost the pressure some while still retaining its consistency?

They do much better than you'd think at longer distances (30-60Y) with heavier domed pellets. My favorite is the JSB 8.44 grain. The only problem with shooting them at longer distance is the pellets blow a lot in the wind compared to, for instance a 20 ftlb FT rig. But on the other hand it's a good challenge!

One calm morning my daughter and I were hitting airgun silhouette pigs and turkeys at 50Y almost every shot, this was with a scope on the Steyr LGB1. Rams at 60Y were pretty easy to. There's 4 mils of drop from a 20Y zero at 50Y, haha. Once some wind came up it was time to get the more powerful PCP's out.

My take on the springer vs PCP debate is that the PCP is easier to master by a large margin. Not that a springer cannot be very accurate. I still believe that the most accurate PCP will beat the most accurate springer mostly because of the violent firing impulse of the springer.

Probably the best example I can give is the Beeman Crow Magnum in 5mm I had. Although it was a gas ram system the firing impulse was crazy. POI shifts were prevalent because all the screws everywhere would come loose, even with blue loctite on them. It wouldn't shoot but 3/4" at best at 25Y even though I tried almost every pellet type.

i haven't had the opportunity to borrow a PCP for a limited time, but can see how the "firing impulse" can be a factor. sort of like shooting a compound bow vs a crossbow. the crossbow may not be more accurate than the compound, but the easier to handle crossbow with less variables in shooting form makes it perceived to be more accurate, or at least easier to shoot. or as well put by steve123, easier to master.

most of the time it comes down to the indian, and not the bow. i've seen many with traditional equipment and experience outdo a crossbow and lack of experience

i can see how the PCP's barrel has less chance of getting out of alignment with the receiver and sites vs a break barrel, and don't know if harmonics come into play when thinking PCP vs. springer, which i can see the PCP having the mechanical advantage there and being more accurate in a controlled environment without the human factor - just on how both operate and are built.

but a quality break barrel springer / nitro / side or underlever that's being cared after by a shooter that knows how to use it properly is also beautiful thing from what i've seen and learned so far. though i'm still a relative newbie at air rifles, i've seen alot of guys with springers outdo guys with PCPs.

i have to agree on the startup / refilling costs (at least with gasoline costs) with the PCP is somewhat prohibitive, and is the thing that's stopping me from picking up a marauder post haste. i was looking at PCPs as they are so much less hold dependent and i can shoot them off a bag / bipod / whatever more consistantly. that's just my lack of experience with controlling the springers / pistons. when i was able to shoot a PCP off hand, i was outshot by a guy with a marginal springer at 50y. - again coming down a lot to the indian and not the bow.

but it's another apple to oranges comparison, both are completely different animals from how they are built and operated, objectively the only common ground they both share is they both blow a formed piece of lead down a tube using a burst of air.

My take on the springer vs PCP debate is that the PCP is easier to master by a large margin. Not that a springer cannot be very accurate. I still believe that the most accurate PCP will beat the most accurate springer mostly because of the violent firing impulse of the springer.

Probably the best example I can give is the Beeman Crow Magnum in 5mm I had. Although it was a gas ram system the firing impulse was crazy. POI shifts were prevalent because all the screws everywhere would come loose, even with blue loctite on them. It wouldn't shoot but 3/4" at best at 25Y even though I tried almost every pellet type.

steve an others
say if i was to get a air rifle, for 25yd backyard paper, an sometime pest control,
what size 177/ 22/ pcp not a problem live 5min from scuba shop
what is the best bang for my buck, dont need 1 hole acc. but would like to shoot as tight as i can with out breaking the bank.
what would be a good starting rifle
thanks CE

Yote, I have had good results with the Benjamin Marauder (and its mag fed :D). It is advertised at 1100 fps, which is good for hunting. When it comes to airguns, more fps isn't necessarily better. It also doesn't set your wallet on fire. As for ammo choice, .177 is cheaper and easier to find, and is my preference. ( H&N Match has shot good in most of the airguns ive had) Its fine for squirrels and game up to rabbits. Anything bigger, and i would recommend the 22 cal.

Benjamin Marauder PCP Air Rifle .177 cal Repeater 1100 fps | AirgunDepot.com

Yoteman,

In 22lr terms, a Mrod is like a Savage and actually will shoot about the same as one too. You could get a good one that shoots half inch at 50Y or one that shoot's 1.5" at 50Y. Really the main thing I don't like about the Mrod is the trigger. The best thing about Mrods is all the instruction videos on youtube. Pretty easy to do things yourself and cheap as well.

A step up in refinement and which can be had for a few hundred dollars more "used price", are the Air Arms S410, BSA Scorpion, Daystate Harrier and FX Typhoon. They are all about the same quality.

For killing stuff 22 cal is probably a better choice.

I had many air rifles in my day. From multi pump, co2, pcp, spring piston, you name it. Pcp is by far the best IMO. You can get a good number of shots per fill with solid power. Also accuracy can be absolutely superb as well! The best budget pcp rifle that needs just a little tlc is the Benjamin discovery or aka "the disco". With a simple power adjuster, lapped and recrowned barrel, and trigger mod you can have a rifle that will spit 22 cal pellets at over 900 fps and hold .25" groups at 25 yards.

I just found this thread... Seems a lot of people are thinking airguns..
I just purchased an HW97 in .22 and a Hawke scope. I put in the Vortek 17fpe spring kit... and its delivering 17.5fpe with the H&N Field Target Trophy pellet at 730fps.

I really wanted to purchase a PCP and was all ready to purchase an FX Royale 400 / Fw100 or a Daystate Air ranger... but the whole scuba tank refill was going to be a pain in N.W. NJ.

RJ

I really like the HW97 rifles, but I have never owned one. I do have an HW77 rifle that shoots very well, it has worked well for field target, indoor 10M club matches and squirrel hunting. I also have a FWB 300S, a Diana 75T-01 and just picked up the two in the picture this week. The rifle in front is a Winchester 333 (Diana 65) and the rifle in the back is a FWB 600. I have never used a PCP gun, maybe some time in the future.

airguns_zps55c99acd.jpg

Figured I'd bring this back to the top... new glass for the Edgun arrived today.

r3m-320.jpg

Really liking the 3-20, it's a very versatile mag range for the rifle. CCW knobs, H2CMR reticle. In person it's quite a bit smaller & lighter than my 5-25's and a much better fit on the rifle. While it did add some weight & bulk compared to the previous Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Current mount is a 1.18" high 20MOA Spuhr which when combined with the 0.5 degree cant built into the rifle's scope rail leaves 7.8 mils down and a full 26 mils up (double turn knob limited) from a 50Y zero. Cheek weld with the 1.18" high canted Spuhr is a tad bit higher than I'd like, I may swap it for individual 1" high rings. With 0.95" high rings the magnification ring would barely clear the scope rail and cheek weld would be about perfect. Going back to individual rings will limit the scope to about 22 mils up elevation (erector travel limited) but 22 mils elevation from a 50Y zero is still good for about 220Y. I do occasionally like to plink soda cans at 200Y for the challenge...

Last edited:
Figured I'd bring this back to the top... new glass for the Edgun arrived today.

View attachment 32509

Really liking the 3-20, it's a very versatile mag range for the rifle. CCW knobs, H2CMR reticle. In person it's quite a bit smaller & lighter than my 5-25's and much better fit on the rifle. While it did add some weight & bulk compared to the previous Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Current mount is a 1.18" high 20MOA Spuhr which when combined with the 0.5 degree cant built into the rifle's scope rail leaves 7.8 mils down and a full 26 mils up (double turn knob limited) from a 50Y zero. Cheek weld with the 1.18" high canted Spuhr is a tad bit higher than I'd like, I may swap it for individual 1" high rings. With 0.95" high rings the magnification ring would barely clear the scope rail and cheek weld would be about perfect. Going back to individual rings will limit the scope to about 22 mils up elevation (erector travel limited) but 22 mils elevation from a 50Y zero is still good for about 220Y. I do occasionally like to plink soda cans at 200Y for the challenge...

Cool, you did it, good for you Kiba!

That scope is awesome isn't it! Man, if S&B had only done 10Y parallax on it it would have been about perfect! 25M is at least usable at closer distances on lower mag which is way better than a 50Y min parallax.

I love those locking MTC knobs too! Really enjoying mine!

Very cool PCP as well!

I really like the HW97 rifles, but I have never owned one. I do have an HW77 rifle that shoots very well, it has worked well for field target, indoor 10M club matches and squirrel hunting. I also have a FWB 300S, a Diana 75T-01 and just picked up the two in the picture this week. The rifle in front is a Winchester 333 (Diana 65) and the rifle in the back is a FWB 600. I have never used a PCP gun, maybe some time in the future.

airguns_zps55c99acd.jpg

Those 600 series FWB's are the perfect iron sight plinker! I like the laminate stock on yours! I don't think I could ever sell my 601, it's just too fun to shoot.

Yep, finally snagged one... you are a bad influence Steve.

100% agreed-- while it's still extremely usable at 7-10Y with the magnification down at 4-5x if S&B had included 10Y parallax capability like the 5-25 it would make the scope even better.

Still trying to decide if I want to switch to 0.95"-1.0" high separate rings but I think I'll use the rifle for a week or two with the current setup and see if I can get used to the new scope height & cheekweld position.

I just found this thread... Seems a lot of people are thinking airguns..
I just purchased an HW97 in .22 and a Hawke scope. I put in the Vortek 17fpe spring kit... and its delivering 17.5fpe with the H&N Field Target Trophy pellet at 730fps.

I really wanted to purchase a PCP and was all ready to purchase an FX Royale 400 / Fw100 or a Daystate Air ranger... but the whole scuba tank refill was going to be a pain in N.W. NJ.

RJ

Richard,

Have you researched paint ball shops? Sometimes they have a compressor. You could also buy a Soap box compressor.

FYI, the FX Independence has a built in hand pump.

I got bit by the bug a few months ago when I borrowed a buddies Gamo to eradicate a nuisance rabbit. My wife bought me a break-barrel Ruger .177 Airhawk for Christmas and although it isn't punching dimes at 50 yards, this thing ain't no joke. Measly $120 rifle and scope combo and it's dispatched squirrels, rabbits, pigeons, mice, crows, and even a freakin' mosquito (at 10 yards, no less). The kills have ranged from 5 yards to 70 yards, with the latter being a single shot permanently dropping a squirrel back into its underground lair. Yeah, it might shoot 2" groups at 30 yards, but it will hit paintballs at various yardage on the first or second shot, fired from the shoulder. All of my kills have been shoulder fired, no rest.

My friend's Benjamin Sheridan .20 Cal is something else, insane power and accuracy. Not a fan of the arm-wrenching pumps, though.

Interesting thread, and you've got me thinking nad looking at some air guns.
Currently I have the CMP Daisy, that actually shoot well. I only shoot it down my apt. hall..about 26 feet..due to a failed stock painting attempt it's been sitting idle.
Replaced by a FWB 100...a SSP target pistol.
Talk about humbling...it shows every error, and you can easily call your shots.
Perfect for all this crappy weather we were having.

A friend has a FWB 601 SSP rifle, he's sorta looking for a Anschutz super air, if he gets one, I'll probably buy his 601..

Fun but frustrating.

Bob

Just so you guys know... any fire department capable of filling the now standard 4500 psi breathing apparatus they use in a fire, can also fill a 3000 psi scuba tank.... you may need to buy an adapter for them, but it's relatively cheap.

I fill my tanks at the fire house all the time.

Got a Kalibregun Cricket in 25 cal a few weeks ago. 30.1 grain pellets at 943 fps. It sure hits my steel a lot harder than the 22 cal using 18 grainers at 875 fps!

Here's some impressions about it. Airgun forum: 25 Cricket

Nice, Steve.

Are you planning on doing a comparison between the 30gr Barracudas and the 25.4gr JSBs? I always had better luck accuracy wise with the JSBs, but every rifle & barrel is different...

Yes, I will at some point. The JSB's were out of stock when I ordered.

I like the extra BC of Bara's. They sure do well at the longer distances, especially compared to the FX Royale with the 18 grainers!

WOW, you guys have these "big bore" air rifles really shooting! I have been working on my offhand position over the winter. I am still shooting without a proper coat (no excuses, I just have not bought one yet) but need to get one. I have opened up my stance a little to the target and have been working on the rifle position. I am starting to get much more comfortable and my hold is getting solid. Unfortunately without a coat I fatigue pretty fast so I have trouble keeping it together for 40 rounds and sighters. But here is a pretty good 5 round target during zeroing offhand today. (everything I shoot with air is 10m offhand)

That's really good J!

It's a PITA to sling up and use the shooting jacket so I go al nateral too.

I've been shooting inside my shop at 6 yards. Offhand as well but on .3" black dots. I score inside the dot 10 points without breaking edge and touching anywhere on the dot 5 points. Best score so far is 75 for 10 shots. Offhand is just hard to do!

I sold my FWB300 to local friend of a friend. He is very happy with it BTW!

Personally, after comparing it, the FWB601 and the Steyr LGB1, all at 6ftlbs of energy and on many occasions the 300 was not quite up with the other two in overall refinement. However very close. The truth is that even though I was raised on springers I just prefer the other power plants more now. Glad I got that out of my system, LOL.

I'm thinking of getting one of the Colibri's in 17 when they come out or maybe a FX Indy pumper in 30 cal.

I shot a Jackrabbit at 145Y the other day with the 25 Cricket. I shouldn't of taken the shot but couldn't resist. The pellet broke it's thigh and it ran into cover. I spent a hour trying to find it but gave up. Oh well, the coyotes had a good meal. I better keep my shots on game inside 100Y.

Kiba, are you coming to LD's FT shoot in Temecula in May?

That would be a 430 mile drive for me... not out of the question, but I'd have to get a FT rig to shoot first! That's something on my "to do list" for hopefully later this year. We're starting to have FT matches about 45 minutes north of me at my regular range and the resident air powered guys are bugging me to get a rifle and come out. Right now my Edgun doesn't fit the match rules for both caliber and energy. I suppose I could shoot unscored for fun though but 48 ft-lbs might be a little rough on the targets. I could run it in the "unlimited" class at their benchrest shoots but benchrest isn't my thing-- FT looks like a lot more fun. I need to go out to a match to watch and hopefully a couple of the guys will let me try their rifles so I can get an idea what would work for me.

I have my own impromptu "hunter field target" matches about 2-3 days a week now that the weather is good and the ground squirrels are back out in force. Makes the couple of hours after work lots more fun. ;)

Regarding long distance critters, I tagged a starling at 127 yards the other day while leaning on the side of the shop. Dialed up 6.7 mils, held 2.3 mils for wind, pressed the trigger, and he fell like a stone right off the post. Getting the range was easy thanks to the terrapin... got lucky on the wind call. :D

Last edited:
That would be a 430 mile drive for me... not out of the question, but I'd have to get a FT rig to shoot first! That's something on my "to do list" for hopefully later this year. We're starting to have FT matches about 45 minutes north of me at my regular range and the resident air powered guys are bugging me to get a rifle and come out. Right now my Edgun doesn't fit the match rules for both caliber and energy. I suppose I could shoot unscored for fun though but 48 ft-lbs might be a little rough on the targets. I could run it in the "unlimited" class at their benchrest shoots but benchrest isn't my thing-- FT looks like a lot more fun. I need to go out to a match to watch and hopefully a couple of the guys will let me try their rifles so I can get an idea what would work for me.

I have my own impromptu "hunter field target" matches about 2-3 days a week now that the weather is good and the ground squirrels are back out in force. Makes the couple of hours after work lots more fun. ;)

Regarding long distance critters, I tagged a starling at 127 yards the other day while leaning on the side of the shop. Dialed up 6.7 mils, held 2.3 mils for wind, pressed the trigger, and he fell like a stone right off the post. Getting the range was easy thanks to the terrapin... got lucky on the wind call. :D

That'd sure be fun, you must live in varmint heaven up there with game in abundance! Good shot BTW

I'm serious here, if you want to use my Daystate Panther for LD's FT match I'll bring it along and with pellets. All you'll need to do is bring one of those 5-25's. I'll have you setup with dope in 10 minutes and you'll be ready to roll. I'll be there early on Thursday afternoon to help do setup on the sightin range and course.

Probably even more fun than the FT match is the plinking opportunity's he has on his property. He's got those ground squirrels at his place. Also has long range steel set up off his back porch. In the evening we hang around his shop and try about every airgun you could imagine on his bell targets. Some guys were drinking beer and shooting toads and mice at midnight one night while I was trying to sleep, LOL, all laughing and carrying on they were. He even has a 51Y underground tunnel and a 50Y covered BR range. They even have a airgun swapmeet on Saturday afternoon. Heck, half the reason I go is for the camaraderie.

That sounds like a ton of fun. When is it again?

Jim Cyran is one of the organizers of the FT & Benchrest stuff up here. The last FT match they had was on 4-13, next one is scheduled for 6-8.

I met Jim back in early 2012 when he was shooting an FX Royale at the 100Y range. I would occasionally bring my .22 Edgun to the range at that time (and get all kinds of confused looks and questions from guys wondering what the heck I was shooting) and he was the first person besides myself that I had seen shooting an air rifle at the range. I think he was pleasantly surprised when I walked up to say hi and knew exactly what he was shooting and was equally surprised when I went out to my car and grabbed the Edgun.

I'm going to be up in Alturas all next week for 6 days of squirrel blasting, I've still got about 500 rounds of .223 I need to finish loading. It's been raining & snowing up there the last couple days and it's supposed to continue through Monday-- so by the time I get up there on Tuesday after the weather is supposed to break they should be really hungry and out foraging. :D

Last edited:
I have had a old Chinese 17 cal air gun (fixed bbl underlever springer) for more than 20 yrs. I think I paid about $15 for it at a tool show. It had a red dot sight on it but that was only accurate out to about 35 yds. Last year, I gained access to a 1400 acre reserve to hunt squirrels but the management only allows shotgun and airguns (no rifles). Since I like the challenge of shooting squackers with a rifle, I mounted a 4x scope on my little chinese airgun. It is adequate but, I was never satisfied with it. With spring squirrel season coming in about 3 weeks, I have been looking at more powerful airguns. This week, I picked up a Gamo whisper, in 17 cal along with a package of the domed copper pellets with the polymer skirts. They are lighter than the typical lead pellets. The Gamo is able to put out up to 1300fps with light weight pellets. Imagine my surprise when I shot it the first time, and the supersonic crack from that sucker was louder than my 22 tgt rifle shooting subsonic match ammo.

I am pretty sure that pellets passing thru trans sonic speeds are not going to be as accurate as the heavier ones which leave the muzzle closer to 1000fps. But in my first range session, the supersonic pellets were still able to print about 1" at 25yds and about 2" at 50yds on a very very windy, blustery day. I was not seeking a sub MOA tack driver as those were all going to exceed my budget for an airgun. I was just looking for an alternative for sniping squirrels out to about 35-50yds. Based on what I have seen so far, this is going to work fine out to those distances. I hope to play with it some more in a few days once the winds calm here. It is a fun alternative to 22 plinking which has gotten pretty darned expensive. I would love to have one of the fancy tanker guns but they are way to expensive for my current taste. This will get my into the woods this spring which is all I was looking for.

Irish

That sounds like a ton of fun. When is it again?

Jim Cyran is one of the organizers of the FT & Benchrest stuff up here. The last FT match they had was on 4-13, next one is scheduled for 6-8.

I met Jim back in early 2012 when he was shooting an FX Royale at the 100Y range. I would occasionally bring my .22 Edgun to the range at that time (and get all kinds of confused looks and questions from guys wondering what the heck I was shooting) and he was the first person besides myself that I had seen shooting an air rifle at the range. I think he was pleasantly surprised when I walked up to say hi and knew exactly what he was shooting and was equally surprised when I went out to my car and grabbed the Edgun.

I'm going to be up in Alturas all next week for 6 days of squirrel blasting, I've still got about 500 rounds of .223 I need to finish loading. It's been raining & snowing up there the last couple days and it's supposed to continue through Monday-- so by the time I get up there on Tuesday after the weather is supposed to break they should be really hungry and out foraging. :D

It's on May 17th and 18th.

Yep, Jim ran LD's match last year. He's got one of those fun personality's, I like him a lot.

It's snowing at my house right now! Quit sending all that bad weather, LOL.

Hey Steve, glad to see that you are headed over to LD's for the Temecula match.

I cannot make that, plus, I have to run the local one here at BASF. I would love to get over there again. Like you said, the camaraderie is what makes it all worthwhile.

I am assuming that you and Bobby are going over together? LD sent me an email and wants me to come, but I cannot get away from work long enough to do that match. You guys go and have fun. Tell all I said HI.

Gotta run, but keep in touch.

Later,
Mark

Steve, K iba --- who do we have to bribe to get an air gun forum here on the HIDE?? I will help any way possible. LMK---Bert

Gonna be costly apparently. Hey Bert, didn't you know airguns are not for the serious tactical marksman, haha. But about 1/4 of the sub forums on SH somehow are, like the Bearpit and Shankster's girlfriends for example, etc, etc.

Case in point. I bet you are a much better pistol shot after practicing with that HW40, right? Well way back when I used to think if I hit a 6" plate with a combat pistol every time at 20Y I was really doing something special. Heck I can hit a little tiny airgun silhouette ram most of the time with my Steyr at the same distance and I'm old now. Of course that "cough"- the so called BB gun "cough again" is about 10 times more accurate than most combat pistols. Another case in point. A few weeks ago I used my wife's Glock 42 380 ACP sub compact to shoot our local IDPA match. I'm happy to report I didn't have any time added above what the timer gave to begin with, this with almost 50 rounds fired from 7 to 20Y. How is it I did that??? It's primarily because I practice with airguns. Simply put airguns exaggerate any and all deficiencies in form. A person can't help but come out the other end of using a airgun without becoming a better shot.

Enough about me...A local friend here on the Hide finished 27th at the 2013 PRS finale. He has a Marauder PCP air rifle he uses to practice positional shooting, shooting off obstacles, etc, in his backyard of only 28Y. He claims he'd be nowhere near his current marksmanship level without that essential practice! In fact it looks like he just finished 7th at the Scorehigh.

I have the privilege of knowing IMO the most consistent shooter I've ever met. Bobby the guy that Mark mentions a few posts up. He's a airgun friend too. Now that guy can friggen shoot, doesn't matter what you put in his hands or what position he is in, he's gonna hand you your ass more often than not, LOL. I might regret it later but I'm trying to get him in to long range, LOL.

As long as I'm bragging about friends I'll mention MarkinAZ too. He's shot a few perfect 40/40 in our FT shoots. A feat which is bordering on impossible. Basically like shooting forty shots into a 2.75 moa circle (not cutting the edge) at 100Y with 22 rimfire in 5-10 mph winds all in the sitting position without the aid of a sling. Now take this scenario and put it in field conditions, shooting slightly uphill and downhill, throw in some offhand for good measure, distances unknown and estimated using our riflescopes, in switching and variable winds and the analogy becomes more realistic.

I should mention my wife. Never having shot before I met her. She went from zero to hero in five years. She is to be feared if you happen to be shooting against her. Keep in mind she's won 3-4 FT matches shooting against our clubs best shooters including my buds mentioned here.

I'm really proud to know these people!!!

Last edited:
Hey Steve, glad to see that you are headed over to LD's for the Temecula match.

I cannot make that, plus, I have to run the local one here at BASF. I would love to get over there again. Like you said, the camaraderie is what makes it all worthwhile.

I am assuming that you and Bobby are going over together? LD sent me an email and wants me to come, but I cannot get away from work long enough to do that match. You guys go and have fun. Tell all I said HI.

Gotta run, but keep in touch.

Later,
Mark

Will do Mark. Yep, going with Bobby. Sorry you couldn't come.

A regulator theoretically should only increase the accuracy by maintaining consistent shot to shot velocity as long as the supply pressure into the regulator is greater than the regulator's output setpoint.

Of course, if the regulator is inconsistent (sticky, leaking or damaged o-rings, etc.) the velocity might vary and that will show as vertical stringing especially at longer distances. You have to remember that a regulator does add more parts that can fail. However, a good regulator should be trouble free for thousands and thousands of pellets and not drift.

I'm not too well versed on how well the FX regulators work other than a batch of Bobcats that were shipped with leaky regulators earlier this year.

For example on my .25 Edgun which is regulated, SD over a full fill (about 60 shots) typically runs about 2-2.5 fps with an ES of about 8 fps. Once the reservoir pressure falls below the regulator set point the velocity starts dropping.

In the 15K+ pellets that I've put through all 3 of the Edguns I've owned I only had one regulator issue, my single shot .25 developed a small leak on a regulator o-ring at about 3500 pellets causing the velocity to become inconsistent and jump around by +/- 40fps. I changed the o-ring, reset the regulator, and it's still going strong in the hands of the new owner after 5K+ pellets.

Last edited:
I have a RWS model 52 177 cal bought at a local gun shop for $100 some scratches on the stock , I can shoot any time I want to indoors 10 meters its fun and good practice .I have 2 177 cal pistols I shoot them too , I now enjoy rainy days because I can still shoot , going to buy a pcp next .

Good for you Geoff!

Speaking of air pistols...

For many years I went to the American Handgunner World Shootoff. We shot all steel and all man against man with two identical target displays. Both men would draw at the sound of a horn, the object being to knock down all the plates on the rack before engaging the their own stop plate. Whoever dropped their stop plate first won. As you can see by the pic of the stop plates they cross each other so we can tell who actually won in the event of close finish.

Sometimes at the AHWS we would have 25 guys in a squad. Whoever won 2 of the three bouts would advance so half the squad went to the next round. This trend continued tell there is 1 winner. Once I fired 1300 rounds in three days and won my division. Partially due to practice with my air pistol.

I had these plate racks made up to practice on.

I use my Steyr LP5 or my C600. Both are semi automatic air pistols, the 40+ year old Crossman 600 is Co2 and the LP5 is a PCP.

I normally have them facing in the opposite direction but the wind was blowing the plates down. No houses were harmed in the taking of these pictures, haha.

Last edited:
A fun plate rack drill is to have five plates and two shooters. Each shooter starts from the outside, and the idea is to knock over both of yours and then the center one before the other guy does, then start on his plates. Here's the catch: Each shooter starts with the pistol holstered, and one round chambered over an empty magazine. So, first shot is slide lock. Next magazine also only has one round, so slide lock #2. Next mag is full.

1911fan

Ok so, as someone who is pretty ignorant when it comes to air rifles. If I wanted something that I could load at home, and hit a quail at 300m with enough force to kill it. What air rifle would I be looking at? Something that I wouldn't need to visit the scuba shop in order to fire.

Ok so, as someone who is pretty ignorant when it comes to air rifles. If I wanted something that I could load at home, and hit a quail at 300m with enough force to kill it. What air rifle would I be looking at? Something that I wouldn't need to visit the scuba shop in order to fire.

30 meters? Most airguns will knock a quail over at that distance and have plenty of accuracy to do so.

The question is how much do you want to spend?

Be aware that spring or gas ram air rifles require scopes rated for them but not PCP's or other types.

If you want more power then PCP is the way to go. PCP's are the ones that need filling with compressed air.

If you meant 300M then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1caY8myfs

Yes, I would too would like to see an airgun forum. I have been following this thread with a lot of interest and airgunning looks like a very viable interest.

Link to Temecula's Field Target match report. We had a lot of fun in spite of the wind and smoke.

In the evenings we shot at LD's 6 yard .3" bell target in his shop with various air rifles and pistols and on one calm morning we shot long range at steel out to 150Y which turned out to be kind of boring after a while because hitting them was too easy with the 25 cal Cricket. The Steyr LGB1, LP5 and the Cricket were a big hit among our small group.

FT forum: Temecula 2014 Results - It WAS Challenging!

Steve, K iba --- who do we have to bribe to get an air gun forum here on the HIDE?? I will help any way possible. LMK---Bert

Come on Mods! Can we please have an airgun forum here on the HIDE!? .....PRETTY PLEASE!!!........

Yes, I would too would like to see an airgun forum. I have been following this thread with a lot of interest and airgunning looks like a very viable interest.

- gotta start PMing mods. one voice is loud, many are deafening :D

at least it'll be a sub forum that's shooting related & 16 pages shows there's more than enough interest.