• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are any of the custom actions better suited for a 223 build?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
Anything that stands out or are all the quality actions on par with each other? Goal would be to shoot long 223 out of AICS mags possibly 223AI.

I like the Bighorn Origin or TL3 as you can use it for a .223 but if you wanted to step up it's as easy as a bolt face change for $125 and a barrel and you can shoot a larger caliber.

I like the terminus actions. 60* and super smooth
Any problem feeding out of AICs mags? I ask because I currently have a Ruger American 223 that won't feed out of them and it's a known problem with their 3 lug bolts and apparently only a problem on 223 stuff as the 308/6.5 have no such issues.

I have shot 223 out of the following actions Impact, Lone Peak, Terminus Zeus, Zermatt Origin & TL3, Nucleus, Defiance Deviant and other than mag height adjustments they all seemed to work fine from what I remember.

Last edited:
I like the Bighorn Origin or TL3 as you can use it for a .223 but if you wanted to step up it's as easy as a bolt face change for $125 and a barrel and you can shoot a larger caliber.
Ha I knew what you'd recommend before I posted. The easily changed bolt heads are a huge advantage. I know barrel nuts aren't as easy but the idea I can grab a savage prefit and screw it in is also pretty handy.

Reactions: Rob01
Ha I knew what you'd recommend before I posted. The easily changed bolt heads are a huge advantage. I know barrel nuts aren't as easy but the idea I can grab a savage prefit and screw it in is also pretty handy.

Yup become a big fan. Being able to use the barrel nuts or shouldered prefits is nice and a lot of actions can now but that quick change bolt head is money. I use it in a Manners with a mini chassis and the thing feeds smooth from MDT poly mags.

Any problem feeding out of AICs mags? I ask because I currently have a Ruger American 223 that won't feed out of them and it's a known problem with their 3 lug bolts and apparently only a problem on 223 stuff as the 308/6.5 have no such issues.
I’m running a Ruger American with the new steel MDT AICS .223 mags and they feed great! Much better than the Magpul’s.

Attachments

• 47FB7043-B633-44E0-A3E8-817C3D38F19B.jpeg
    47FB7043-B633-44E0-A3E8-817C3D38F19B.jpeg
    730 KB · Views: 94
  • Wow
Reactions: spife7980
I’m running a Ruger American with the new steel MDT AICS .223 mags and they feed great! Much better than the Magpul’s.
How new are they. A while back they told me they didn't have anything that would work with the American/Magpul stock combo. The Ruger poly mags and Magpul 223 AICS don't hardly work at all.

I have the Short Action Custom on my Desert Tech and that thing has has right at 1500 through it and is still a 1/4 inch gun. Can’t say enough for both companys.

Reactions: deersniper
With 7 different custom actions in the stable id have too say for a 90 degree id build on an impact 737 or kelbly atlas tactical probably. For 60 degree it would be terminus or KS SAR. Super happy with these 4 actions!!

Honestly I’m looking at another 223 bolt face build and considering falkor to try though

Reactions: YukonRob
I built a 223 on a 1972 Sav 110 action with a Lothar Walther barrel.
I got the best groups ever from a 223.
I shot prairie dogs with it.
I still don't like Savage action.

Attachments

• boyds pro varmint sav 110 223.JPG
    boyds pro varmint sav 110 223.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 97
I had a TL-2 and a TL-3. They were ok, but not 100%.

Switched to a Terminus Zeus and havent looked back. It was like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari.

I just bought an ARC Nucleus for a 223 build, haven’t received it yet but should be good to go

Anything that stands out or are all the quality actions on par with each other? Goal would be to shoot long 223 out of AICS mags possibly 223AI.
I recently bought a Defiance Deviant short action for a 223 build. I liked the looks and feel of the action well enough that I ordered a second one.

I’m doing a an arc archimedes in a krg X-ray for my kids, PVA prefit barrel arrived in 3 weeks from the BF sale - waiting on the action and trigger

Reactions: nitsuj
I had a TL-2 and a TL-3. They were ok, but not 100%.

Switched to a Terminus Zeus and havent looked back. It was like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari.
If I didn’t have a barrel that just shoots way to good for my tl3 I’d probably get rid of my tl3 as well. Not bad actions, but not like some others. It was the action I was most disappointed in. Once I shoot the barrel out, I’ll either repurpose to a smokeless black powder as it’s something I really want and won’t use too too much, or sell it and redo this build. Feel the terminus is much nicer then the tl3.

Maybe after a few thousand rounds I might change my mind

Older TL3s didn’t have the finishes they have now. Just look at the Origin with Nitride finish, it’s slick as goose shit.

Older TL3s didn’t have the finishes they have now. Just look at the Origin with Nitride finish, it’s slick as goose shit.
Oh I wouldn’t say they aren’t slick. That’s one thing they most definitely are.

Hmm what were you referring to them?🤔
I don’t like the way they bind is the main thing, and after timing mine still has a weird gritty/grinding feel too it on both bolt open and close. While running it fast I don’t notice it all that much (I did before timing) but if you slow down it’s still there. Mine also (223 rem) isn’t control round feed which is something I wanted, it’s a push feed for some reason it won’t grab the 223. I have a mag bolt face and keep meaning to see if it will crf a different caliber, but it just does not crf the 223. It functions fine, but it’s one of the features I wanted. I think there feature rich actions, and just the bolt gliding back and forth it is definitely one of the smoothest actions. But entire bolt cycle isn’t as nice as others, they don’t feel quite as refined I believe is the word im thinking of. In no way do I think it’s a bad action, it’s just while currently owning 7 different ones and my best friend adding another 2 to that list (9 different actions) there’s only 2 actions that when I pick up and run that I wish I either went a different route, or not 100% satisfied with and one is the bighorn tl3. I hate to say it too, cause I so badly want to love it. It is an action I’ve wanted for so many years but I just don’t love it. I like it, but I like others more or much more

So
I don’t like the way they bind is the main thing, and after timing mine still has a weird gritty/grinding feel too it on both bolt open and close. While running it fast I don’t notice it all that much (I did before timing) but if you slow down it’s still there. Mine also (223 rem) isn’t control round feed which is something I wanted, it’s a push feed for some reason it won’t grab the 223. I have a mag bolt face and keep meaning to see if it will crf a different caliber, but it just does not crf the 223. It functions fine, but it’s one of the features I wanted. I think there feature rich actions, and just the bolt gliding back and forth it is definitely one of the smoothest actions. But entire bolt cycle isn’t as nice as others, they don’t feel quite as refined I believe is the word im thinking of. In no way do I think it’s a bad action, it’s just while currently owning 7 different ones and my best friend adding another 2 to that list (9 different actions) there’s only 2 actions that when I pick up and run that I wish I either went a different route, or not 100% satisfied with and one is the bighorn tl3. I hate to say it too, cause I so badly want to love it. It is an action I’ve wanted for so many years but I just don’t love it. I like it, but I like others more or much more
Some like fords, some like chevys I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What do you mean yours is a push feed and not CRF? The bolt face on my .223 TL3 is CRF.

What do you mean yours is a push feed and not CRF? The bolt face on my .223 TL3 is CRF.
At a guess, I would imagine the round is not being fully captured by the bolt head when released by the mag. I have two TL3's + Origin, and this certainly happens once the mag spring tension is reduced after half the mag is used.
Are you saying you have complete control round feed, in that if you pulled the bolt back before chambering that the round would eject everytime?
Be interested in how my setup maybe wrong if you infact are?
Cheers
Pete

At a guess, I would imagine the round is not being fully captured by the bolt head when released by the mag. I have two TL3's + Origin, and this certainly happens once the mag spring tension is reduced after half the mag is used.
Are you saying you have complete control round feed, in that if you pulled the bolt back before chambering that the round would eject everytime?
Be interested in how my setup maybe wrong if you infact are?
Cheers
Pete
Yeah mine are. Maybe it's a mag fit thing if it's not and only doing it on the lower half of the mag.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
Yeah mine are. Maybe it's a mag fit thing if it's not and only doing it on the lower half of the mag.
Hmmmm, interesting.... I had always assumed it was the reduction of the spring tension not having enough ugga dugga's to force the rim fully into the bolt head. May have more of a play, but it would be easier to name the AICS style mags that I don't have than do! Lol

Zero issues with the actions either way, one has several thousands of rnds through it without a hiccup (as you would expect). Appreciate the feedback.
Cheers
Pete

My TL3s are only a little over a year old too so might be something with older ones maybe?

Yes and it doesn’t control round feed. It just push feeds like almost every other action. I figured maybe spring pressure on the mags, so tried 3 different mags. Tried bending the lips out on a mag and heating up the plastic insert to open it up (223 mag) to allow a little extra height and it didn’t work.

Yes and it doesn’t control round feed. It just push feeds like almost every other action. I figured maybe spring pressure on the mags, so tried 3 different mags. Tried bending the lips out on a mag and heating up the plastic insert to open it up (223 mag) to allow a little extra height and it didn’t work.
So the brass rim does not go up under the extractor at all? Or does it click past it when chambering? It has to get there some how to the bolt face.

So the brass rim does not go up under the extractor at all? Or does it click past it when chambering? It has to get there some how to the bolt face.
No it doesn’t, it just pops out of mag and gets pushed in. I talked with zermatt about it and sent a video and never really resolved it. It basically ended as is there any feeding issues , which there isn’t, then it is what it is. Which it works flawless but not what I was thinking. When on of the features I was hoping to have different was the crf, and it’s doesn’t. If controls it out obviously as it slips over after bolt is turned but not from mag to chamber

You likely need to shorten the feed lips. I use mdt poly mags in mine with 223 barrel screwed on with no issues, but could be a chassis/bottom metal adjustment thing too. With 6 Dasher, ARC mags feed pretty well (short lips). I took an mdt 6br mag and shortened the feed lips to the same dimension as the ARC mag. It feeds so smooth it is hard to tell if it picked up the first round.

When you watch the rifle feed, the case body from the next cartridge should push the case up under the extractor. That means the case should leave the feedlips before the case head gets past the body/shoulder junction to facilitate this.

If you have already done this, my apologies. I will say that I love my TL3s, but they have not been issue free. I think they pushed the envelope a bit on a couple things. To get a nicer bolt lift, the firing pin fall is less than many feel is enough for top accuracy. Also, I had a hell of a time with light strikes in 223 even with case length set to crush slightly on bolt close and bullets jammed. Bighorn was awesome to work with and tried pretty much everything. I then reached out to my gunsmith who has built and also runs several TL3s. He had already dealt with the issue and had talked to Wolfe gun springs about a heavier spring. That spring fixed the issue, but I have no idea what the part # is, as he simply handed me one at a match and said, "Here, try this."

Reactions: Matt_3479