• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are electric vehicles better than gas vehicles?

Shooter McGavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 22, 2009
    Some where in the US
    Are electric vehicles better than gas vehicles for the environment? I question wether they are or not. My reason is every time I see an electric vehicle I think of a coal fired power plant. In the US we get 50% of our electricity from coal fired power plants. Also, I have seen transmission power line losses any where from 6.7% to 50% ( If any one can get an exact number it would be appreciated).

Another thought is the environmental cost of manufacturing the batteries on top of the vehicle's environmental cost. The batteries are to be replaced every five years. That brings up another concern for consumers and that is trade in value of the vehicle when the dealer knows the have to spend $5000 to replace the batteries.

It roughly cost $.02 per mile for electric cars and $.12 for gasoline cars. Gasoline cars have an advantage of distance of the electric cars. By the way the person who posted a video of the COW yelling at him because of his diesel truck got me thinking about this.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,

Shooter

Re: Are electric vehicles better than gas vehicles?

Hybrids, Electric cars and Ethanol are not a better alternative for the environment.

They make the tree huggers feel better though while they look down at peoplelike me that drive a truck.

I don't think electric vehicles are the answer. Ultimtely is the environmetal impact less with a pure electric, or hybrid....maybe. the studies done to evaluate the eco foot print of themaufacturingof the batteries, replacement cycles, co2 emissions, increased strain on the electric grid, yahda yahda, they are complex and they change with each one. The simple fact is the combustion engine, although advanced as it has become is old technology. You can argue as to the time frame andlikely hood of running out of fossil fuels but the fact still remains thetechnology is out dated and being so dependant on a fuel source like that is crazy. Too many people drive vehicles way bigger than they need. As a whole we all drive too fast and our drivng styles are inefficiant. I used to run a series of rental car locations. I absolutely loved when 30 year old women came in because their car was in the shop and they had to have expeditions and tahos because they had one child with a car seat! Really! I don't know, as usual I think a little comon sense reduction woul solve a lot of problems. Updated public transportation where appropriate. Better car selection for family vehicles. For the guys who use a pick up truck for work bcause they need it, great use it. For the guys who actually need a truck once a month to go to home depot, but commute 50+ miles a day everyday get a sedan and rent the truck when you need it you will save a ton. After rentingthem for years I purchased a prius for my wife when gas hit $4gal 4 years ago. Sold off my grand prix GXP because she comuted 120miles aday at the time. Theprius has 110K miles on it now. Still gets 45mpg and my wife tends t drive it like she stole it. Only maintanance on the car is oil changes every 6K miles. Brakes still have 40%+ on them. I have two sets of tires all season and winter. Still running the original sets and my guess based on tread depth I've got one more season on each. Picked it up for $23K new. I think we got our moneys worth. Is it the answer to the fuel issue...no! But its simply not abad choice.

When they make a electric pickup to pull my 30' stock trailer full of fat cows then I'll think about.

That's why I have a motorcycle. Better economy than a Pious (Prius) and better performance than a Porsche. Winning.

IF they charged the car off of wind / solar / hydroelectric nrg then the coal would not factor in (and if someone is that green minded in the first place it would be a safe assumption that, that is the case)

as for the batteries yea i can see that being a problem

imho bio-diesel is the best answer - they can mass produce some sort of single cell life form that lives / dies on a retardedly fast rate and the dieing cells make up bio-diesel and it pretty much becomes a closed loop circuit -

cutting down massive sections of rain forest to grow soy to turn into bio-diesel is not the answer however....

truely there is so many alternatives but it all comes down $$$$$

if you start doing some research into all of the oil companies you can see they really really really dont want us using anything but that...read read read
    smile.gif

I don't think anyone really wants clean air and green fuel vehicles. They have both existed long before now, everyone walked or rode a horse. I think Merle explains the dilema best. Its just not possible.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8l4TiouR7M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8l4TiouR7M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I believe it's just the same old pea an shell game, run buy a different breed of huckster. Many talk the game, but when you look at who uses what, the truth seems to be the 4th or maybe the 5th shell.

Until energy habits are changed, everyone that uses fossil fuel will keep paying, the master.
    Who requires us to buy an drive what we do? Who requires us to buy or build a 3K square foot house for 3-4 people?
    People will perceive to need many things, in the name of "Look at Me". Is that why they ask you to hit the "LIKE" or "FRIEND" buttons?

Glutton, is not a P-4 Pathogen, but should be treated as such. With the advent of media, it seems to be infecting more every day, but,... if one waits long enough, Human or Mother nature will cure it as well.

We didn't buy ours to save the environment. We don't have any kids who'll inherit the consequences of our errors or selfishness and realistically, I could give a shit about my ecological "footprint" and its' effect on future generations.

I wanted the Prius because the only way I can defy our foreign policy and "save blood". Our boys ain't in the Middle East to "preserve freedom" nor "defend democracy"--if there wasn't oil there, we'da never ever set foot in the Middle East. I bought it because it uses less gas, and less gas means less blood--well, not really, but it's the only influence I can have on gubment 'policy', inconsequential as my one action is.

As to battery life and that expense, we're probably facing that bill sooner than later. Our Prius is 7 years old and still on the original battery. Aside from changing tires and oil, at 214,000 miles it's never needed repair nor service, and ran as well yesterday as it did the first year, so I figure I'm at least even in costs with the repair and maintenance costs of a 214,000-mile Chevy sedan. It still doesn't squeak or rattle.

A few different things to consider: Electric plants can be coal, nuclear, solar, wind, or hydro. So, some of the ways to generate are very "clean". Our electric grid does not store any electricity, so it must be used or lost. From that standpoint, it makes more sense to use electric than gas until you have rolling brown/black outs. Electric is also made here in the U.S., so no need to go elsewhere for it.

Electric cars cost more now. How much pollution will those batteries be once there are no good? How does that cost to the environment compare to the use of gasoline.

Until we get a leader in Washington that doesn't bow to the oil industry, we will not have a true energy policy. If it every occurs, there are several ways to reduce our use of oil.

However, since oil is still fairly cheap, my goal is too use/purchase all of our crude oil needs from the Middle East and not to use any oil from the U.S. Once the oil field in that region dry up, all of the world's problems from there will go away. At that point, the U.S. could become the leading exporter of oil and none of our citizens would have to work again for a few decades. Just a thought.

So everytime energy is transfered from one form into another some energy is lost. Lets take a hybrid city bus for example. There are three different types of hybrids for buses out there but lets focus on the one that the engine powers a generator which then powers a motor. The engine normally runs at 1800 rpm to supply the correct rpm for the generator when it is needed. That energy then goes to a set of batteries which are normally located on the roof of the bus and there is a lot of them up there. So when you push the go pedal that engergy goes from the batteries to the electric motor. So there you have energy being changed or transfered 3 times. You can not transfer 100% of energy, you lose some every time it changes. I see what the hybrids can do, but I still do not believe in the hybrids. I am more for CNG powered vehicles. Cummins Engines makes them for Class 8 semis and yes the really do work. I have even seen a few of them running down the road and have even driven a few of them myself. As for straight electric, I do not believe in them or think that it is even a wise choice to own one.

I buy products based on their value to me, and for the jobs their production provides.

I bought a Dodge that's supposedly imported from Detroit, but actually comes from Canada. Shell games aside, at least it keeps folks employed this side of the Pacific, and that's a good start.

The shell game is being played on a card table with multiple levels.

I don't know what's 'better' for the economy, the environment, or even my own pocket; and my concern about hybrid/electric car batteries is not about their production, but about what's it gonna cost me to replace them when they go terminals up. Warrantees are nice, but car companies are failing these days, and may not be around to honor a warrantee when I need them to.

Shell games work because the average Joe is usually a shallow thinker, and it disgusts me that companies (they have to) pander to the gullible. Most TV commercials tend to poke my Blood Pressure higher because they treat me and everybody else like a basket of mushrooms. It's insulting, it's entrenched, and it's institutionalized. It's even more annoying because with all those carefully crafted and groomed morons who are tuned in, nothing I can do on my own will have any meaningful impact.

So I recognize futility when I see it, and make a point of not squandering my effort in chasing easy fixes that feel good but, simply said, do nothing of real value.

Don Quixote tilted a lot of windmills, but the true moral of that story is that he never really learned from it.

My Old Man taught me that the most effective revenge/protest/...whatever is to simply live well. I intend to do the best I can at that for as long as I still have allotted to me. My family is more than important enough to occupy my main interests in that interim.

Greg

Very educational thread.
    My answer would have been No ,as well.

As far as pricing and cost to consumer... quite possibly.
    My father has a Chevy Volt. It charges at night on a 220 volt outlet and costs him about 1.17 a day to charge. There was a $7000 rebate for buying the car, and he has used less than .5 gallon of gasoline since buying it 3 months ago. 40 mile range for city/highway driving... pretty cool.

The batteries Chevy and Nissan are using are an ecological disaster because the Li-ion material is mined in Canada, refined in Spain, processed in China, assembled in Japan, <span style="text-decoration: underline">then</span> shipped to the manufacturer. And when they're spent, they're several hundred pounds of HazMat (400 to 1000, depending on the car).

Plus, the batteries in Chevy Volts are catching fire. That $7500 rebate is a federal subsidy, meaning it was stolen from the American tax payer.

For something requiring energy on the scale of an automobile, the hydrogen fuel cell obsoleted the storage battery more than 40 years ago. I don't buy in to the conspiracy theories of the 200 mph carburetor or the water powered car but it does strike me as suspicious that the US auto industry didn't long ago plant the seeds for a hydrogen distribution system, which would lead in to the mass marketing of HFC vehicles.

I couldn't get by with an electric car. Towns are too far apart around here. Besides they don't make heavy duty electric trucks and I need one to haul my horses, hay and tractors.

Couldn't imagine the extention cords I would need to attend my Granddaughters Basketball games. Its nothing to drive 200-300 miles each way.

I suppose it would be ok if you lived in town, but wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a golf cart to drive around town?

Just a thought, batterys don't last long when its cold, how would an electric car work at 20 below?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unrepentant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We didn't buy ours to save the environment. We don't have any kids who'll inherit the consequences of our errors or selfishness and realistically, I could give a shit about my ecological "footprint" and its' effect on future generations.

I wanted the Prius because the only way I can defy our foreign policy and "save blood". Our boys ain't in the Middle East to "preserve freedom" nor "defend democracy"--if there wasn't oil there, we'da never ever set foot in the Middle East. I bought it because it uses less gas, and less gas means less blood--well, not really, but it's the only influence I can have on gubment 'policy', inconsequential as my one action is.

As to battery life and that expense, we're probably facing that bill sooner than later. Our Prius is 7 years old and still on the original battery. Aside from changing tires and oil, at 214,000 miles it's never needed repair nor service, and ran as well yesterday as it did the first year, so I figure I'm at least even in costs with the repair and maintenance costs of a 214,000-mile Chevy sedan. It still doesn't squeak or rattle. </div></div>

I'm wondering how this pencils out compared to buying a flex fuel vehicle and burning E85.

I would add,with my foil hat aside.
    It aint about ecology,saving the earth.
    It is always about the money.
    We are always going to pay someone,bigtime.
    We as individuals think the yoke will be gone,when there are electric cars.
    It will be worse.
    They tell us there is barely enough electicity for the country now,let alone the crumbling electric grid infrastructure,to feed the juice.

Guys, The answer is simple. America needs to be running on natural gas. It is abundant and made in America. My truck runs on CNG (compressed natural gas). I fill-up for 1.40-2.40 per gallon depending on where I get gas. I get a little better gas mileage on CNG and I get the same power.

Electric is not the answer. It is not "green". No one takes into account the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries, where the electricity is generated to recharge the batteries, and like mentioned above the efficiently loss through electricity transmission. And don't get me started on E85 BS....why do we want to burn our food??????

CNG IS GREEN:

• Reductions in carbon monoxide
    emissions of 90 to 97 percent, and
    reductions in carbon dioxide emissions
    of 25 percent.
    • Reductions in nitrogen oxide emissions
    of 35 to 60 percent.
    • Potential reductions in nonmethane
    hydrocarbon emissions of 50 to 75
    percent.
    • Fewer toxic and carcinogenic pollutants,
    and little to no particulate
    matter
    produced.
    • No evaporative emissions in dedicated
    engines (such as those associated
    with gasoline or diesel).

I don't know why us American's can't get it together and make this work quicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Plus, the batteries in Chevy Volts are catching fire.</div></div>

Did you read your own link? It seems to refute what you are implying.

Your statement implies Volt batteries are catching fire. The article linked says that one Volt caught fire during a crash test. The very first sentence says the NHTSA does not think the Volt has any increased risk of fire over gasoline powered cars.

It also says the reason for the fire has NOT been determined.
    I don't know how you went from that to saying Volt batteries are catching on fire.

It's a good thing gas cars never catch on fire!

Kinda dig the Volt; w/ in 25 mile range you really don't need gas and if you happen to go extended ranges has a gasoline engine to power the electric motor to boot! Very quick also.

A guy I've known for years who has worked in nuclear power plants for the last 20+ years or so described it to me like this.

If we allowed companies to build current-day technology nuclear power plants, not ones designed in the 50s(what most of our current plants are) which are meltdown safe(whole nother discussion here) and can use any kind of fuel, including the nuclear "waste" from other reactors, we could use these power plants to supply the base load for the grid. Stepping up the base load production a few levels and using that excess power to produce hydrogen(which is very power intensive so it's pointless to do with anything but solar/wind/nuclear) and using that hydrogen to power hydrogen turbines to produce the variable load for the grid. And finally, selling off excess hydrogen to power vehicles.

This would completely remove fossil fuels from any power production requirements, while fitting into the current economic and technological system we have in place right now for electricity and fuel.

I am not a fan of electric cars. Mostly because of reasons already mentioned. I am however a big advocate for Biodiesel and E85. I run E85 in my Jeep Wrangler, and I run 100% Biodiesel in my truck for 9 months out of the year. Through winter I run B30 to prevent anykind of gelling...

I know for a fact through my real world tests that Biodiesel is a superior product to crude oil based ultra low sulfur diesel. It's burns hotter, cleaner, and more efficiently.. With usuage of this product I made more power on the dyno in my own personal 04 LLY Duramax, and I netted better mileage.

Not to get off topic, but when Electric powered cars can give me the results as in Biodiesel then I will support it. You see these claims about the efficiency of the elctric cars, but you seen the size of these cars? They're sub compact... Give me those results in a full size car then brag about it.

Electric vehicles requiring recharging is certainly not ideal, for the reasons stated above. Hybrids are not perfect, but it's all heading in the right direction IMO. Hydrogen fuel cell technology looks promising and clean. I happened across a nice Lincoln MKZ gas/electric hybrid sedan that gets 41mpg city, and recharges the battery via regenerative braking. Worth looking into and a whole lot classier and better appointed than a dang Prius! I also noted that Lincoln is selling the hybrid MKZ for the same price as the non-hybrid. It's good to have options to consider. Someday soon cars will fly.

If they can create a electric/hydrogen toyota tacoma,... great

I'm sure as shit not giving up my truck though

My dad owns automotive shops in dallas and has several large fleet accounts. Many of them are landscaping companies. Lots of them are having trouble with their fuel systems (tanks most of the time) because of the E85 and the corrosion of the liners within the tanks.

I understand that some of you may be against the manufacturing and assembly of overseas providers, but the issue i was commenting on was mainly toward the <span style="font-style: italic">Realized</span> economical benefit. That is: The low cost of fuel, the government rebate, etc.

Didnt mean to spark any controversy.

That being said,
    I still think the benefits of the Chevy Volt are something to write home about. Not only can you enjoy the small amount of fuel usage (which REALLY adds up), the cars are actually very nice and a pleasure to drive. And the gasoline usage of the vehicle (when you actually have to use it) is comparable with similar sized vehicles.

I can see the Volt as an urban transport, but the 35mi battery range won't even get me to the next town and back up here in CNY.

What really has me pleased is the 26+ actual mpg the new Dodge Grand Caravan Crew my Wife has gets in our basic driving regime. It's certified for E85, but I wouldn't even know where to find E85 around here.

It's even better than the Honda Accord Wagon we still have (I get to drive it now) that's going on 17 years old.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they can create a electric/hydrogen toyota tacoma,... great

I'm sure as shit not giving up my truck though </div></div>

You call a TOYota a truck???

I think it is funny to see subs pull up to bid a job driving a japanese truck, and I will ask them how many japanese jobs have they bid on lately.

Driving a foreign made "truck" is one strike against a sub bidding on my jobs.

My 2012 F250 is a flex fuel truck and there is no way I will put E85 in it.

Bgbill, I don't think this topic was meant to be a foreign vs domestic debate. Hell I live in michigan. And ifi want to support blue color american workers ill by foreign. If I'm in th mood to support white collar workers ill by domestic and if I want to invest money into safer cars ill by merc since they tend to be the company that standardizes new technology for the future more than anyone else.
    The fact is electric isn't the answer. But the idea hat we have not pushed the envelope more in this country for the last 30 years is shamefull.
    This would be so much less of an issue if people drove the cars they needed vs the cars they wanted. Now don't get me wrong if you want a big old truck that when driven hard get 10mpg to play with go for it. But I know way too many guys doing 100+ miles a day comuting to work in these beasts because 4 times. Year they tow a boat or twice a year go hunting. That's just not needed. Hell for what the would save in gas buy a comuter car.
    The idea of the volt is nice. But more than aything its a gimic and a publicity stunt. For the vast majority of the public it doesn't fit for their daily driving routine. When GM averages demographics for the avg commute keep in mind they are adding in the milions of people in NYC, Chicago, Boston and so on. Tens of millions who have a cmmute under 5 miles but gas isn't the issue, they aren't driving at all because of the othe logistical and expense issue in those areas ie parking.
    Giving a group of people who drive 20 miles a day another option is nice, but if you want to solve the oil, andpolution issue we need a real world solution for the avg american and the trucking industry.

E85 isn't all that bad, but we use corn as thebase because its easy to grow in this country. In south america its derived directly from sugar cane. One less step in refining, it grows faster and isn't a crop that isnt the backbone of our food supply

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bgbill, I don't think this topic was meant to be a foreign vs domestic debate. Hell I live in michigan. And ifi want to support blue color american workers ill by foreign. If I'm in th mood to support white collar workers ill by domestic and if I want to invest money into safer cars ill by merc since they tend to be the company that standardizes new technology for the future more than anyone else.
    The fact is electric isn't the answer. But the idea hat we have not pushed the envelope more in this country for the last 30 years is shamefull.
    This would be so much less of an issue if people drove the cars they needed vs the cars they wanted. Now don't get me wrong if you want a big old truck that when driven hard get 10mpg to play with go for it. But I know way too many guys doing 100+ miles a day comuting to work in these beasts because 4 times. Year they tow a boat or twice a year go hunting. That's just not needed. Hell for what the would save in gas buy a comuter car.
    The idea of the volt is nice. But more than aything its a gimic and a publicity stunt. For the vast majority of the public it doesn't fit for their daily driving routine. When GM averages demographics for the avg commute keep in mind they are adding in the milions of people in NYC, Chicago, Boston and so on. Tens of millions who have a cmmute under 5 miles but gas isn't the issue, they aren't driving at all because of the othe logistical and expense issue in those areas ie parking.
    Giving a group of people who drive 20 miles a day another option is nice, but if you want to solve the oil, andpolution issue we need a real world solution for the avg american and the trucking industry. </div></div>

How is buying a foreign made vehicle supporting blue collar workers and buying domestic supporting white collar workers?

I just bough a new F250, unfortunately it is made by UAW workers, but it is an American company and the plant is in the United States so I think I am supporting American workers, plus I am buying accessories and other things from local Ford dealers and that is helping the blue collar workers as well.

Plus an F250 Super Duty is a real truck, not a Toy.

I drive a truck because I am a contractor but even if I was a Zima drinking metrosexual with SPS and wanted to drive a truck to go shopping, it is my choice to drive what I want and when people get the idea of people shouldn't drive a truck or a big car because they don't need it is a bad idea that makes people easier to turn into sheeple.

One reason for the chevy volt is because they have to get their mileage up for the fleet and the volt does that.

Two people I know work for a client of mine, one drives a prius and another drives a little chevy something or other, its about a $10,000 car, the guy with the Prius was in an accident and he lost more in depreciation than what the other guy paid for his car and he gets good gas mileage as well, so Butch lost a ton of money on the Prius and didn't end up saving any money and would have been money ahead in a traditional car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">E85 isn't all that bad, but we use corn as thebase because its easy to grow in this country. In south america its derived directly from sugar cane. One less step in refining, it grows faster and isn't a crop that isnt the backbone of our food supply </div></div>

E85 takes more enrgy to prioduce than the energy it provides.

The farmers in the US psuhed for corn based ethanol and growing sugar cane isn't good for the environment either.

APNewsBreak: GM willing to buy back Volts

By TOM KRISHER
    AP Auto Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- General Motors will buy Chevrolet Volts back from any owner who is afraid the electric cars will catch fire, the company's CEO said Thursday.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, CEO Dan Akerson insisted that the cars are safe [except those three that caught fire], but said the company will purchase the Volts because it wants to keep customers happy [and it's not their money anyway]. Three fires have broken out in Volts after side-impact crash tests done by the federal government.

Akerson said that if necessary, GM will recall the more than 6,000 Volts now on the road in the U.S. and repair them once the company and federal safety regulators figure out what caused the fires....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they can create a electric/hydrogen toyota tacoma,... great

I'm sure as shit not giving up my truck though </div></div>

You call a TOYota a truck???

I think it is funny to see subs pull up to bid a job driving a japanese truck, and I will ask them how many japanese jobs have they bid on lately.

Driving a foreign made "truck" is one strike against a sub bidding on my jobs.

My 2012 F250 is a flex fuel truck and there is no way I will put E85 in it.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I just bough a new F250, unfortunately it is made by UAW workers, but it is an American company and the plant is in the United States so I think I am supporting American workers, plus I am buying accessories and other things from local Ford dealers and that is helping the blue collar workers as well.

Plus an F250 Super Duty is a real truck, not a Toy.

I drive a truck because I am a contractor but even if I was a Zima drinking metrosexual with SPS and wanted to drive a truck to go shopping, it is my choice to drive what I want and when people get the idea of people shouldn't drive a truck or a big car because they don't need it is a bad idea that makes people easier to turn into sheeple.

One reason for the chevy volt is because they have to get their mileage up for the fleet and the volt does that.

Two people I know work for a client of mine, one drives a prius and another drives a little chevy something or other, its about a $10,000 car, the guy with the Prius was in an accident and he lost more in depreciation than what the other guy paid for his car and he gets good gas mileage as well, so Butch lost a ton of money on the Prius and didn't end up saving any money and would have been money ahead in a traditional car. </div></div>
    Oh boy...

Several reasons i bought my truck:

1. Made in SAN ANTONIO, TX. (ergo, I supported US workers Mfgr'ing vehicles)

2. Its gets great gas mileage, and its fills the roles I occasionally put it in.

3. its a fucking truck. Tell SOCOM that their chosen up-armored vehicle for clandestine operations isnt a truck, and its a POS. They'd buttfuck your soul.

hilux+SFG.jpg

I have worked on every single electric vehicle made. From the GM trucks and SUV's, Honda's, Toyo's, even the Saturn EV-1. They all suck. They are much more dangerous to work on, more cramped to replace parts. Parts are more expensive. The only thing I liked about them is that they were REALLY quiet when you feathered the gas in the parking lot. I would sneak up on my buddies at work and honk the horn a couple inches from their back and send them in cardiac arrest. It was a laugh riot.

Electric vehicles with a small C_2 footprint...right, coal fired electricity demand for those megawatt recharges voids any calculable number from teh car itself.

As to motorcycles being more effeciant than a hybrid...BUSTED. Not only busted with the motorcycle and rider alone, but busted with the rider encased in a aero faired shell to further fuel usage.

E85 is bad. Bottom line is that burning alcohol creates water and acid. Chemical bonds are created and destroyed, but the base chemicals are never lost in the movement to and from each state or species.

Besides, only asshats and liberals drive Priuses and they never drive anywhwere but the fast lane to piss in everyone elses Cheerios. I suppose if you want to join the Docker Lifestyle then a Prius is in your future, but you may well look toward the new F150 with it's EcoBoost turbo and better fit into the 'still relevant tactical lifestyle'

Wanderlust, we keep telling our Panty 6's that bikes are more effeciant, and they will continue to buy into the myth...until ya start running VP MS103(4.5G 93 R+N/2 + 1/2G MS103). When you get tired of riding in the circles of H1, H2, and the traffic, start burning the good stuff and do it faster, but be cautioned, all the hide out roads and get waya roads on Oahu are long gone since the late 90's so trying to escape HPD takes a lot more finesse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I wouldn't even know where to find E85 around here.</div></div>

Wish I had that problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and I will ask them how many japanese jobs have they bid on lately.</div></div>

My Toyota was built in Indiana.

I clung to the "Buy American" mindset for a loooong time, but finally realized it made more sense to ignore brands and look for the best value.

I have heard that they are extremely hard to get rid of if they are wrecked. It is suppose to cost more to scrap one than it does to buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why I have a motorcycle. Better economy than a Pious (Prius) and better performance than a Porsche. Winning. </div></div>

What he said, although since it's cold and icy the KTM is in the garage for a few months. My Chevy truck gets 12.5mpg, which is pretty crappy. Had I known that I would not have bought the 6.0L engine. On the bright side, it 'forces' me to ride the bike whenever possible.
    I don't think the current state of hybrid technology makes sense, ecologically. Waste stream during the making and scrapping of hybrids is colossal and long-term.
    The following rant is not mine, I got it from MichaelN a while back, and I agree 100%.
    <span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">

“Muscle Cars vs. Hybrids: A Guide to Saving the Planet”

Every “Earth-conscious” environmentalist knows that to own a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, is to have arrived at environmental enlightenment. Or do they? You see, there is a common misconception out there, no doubt perpetuated by the hybrid technology industry, that owning a $30,000 hybrid car will help “save” the planet through a reduced consumption of fossil fuels and “save” you money on fuel in the process. As if spending $30,000 could actually “save” you anything, least of all the heart ache of handing over your $500 monthly payment to the bank instead of to the gas station. Sure, your shiny new silver robot car will cost you less every time you do go to the gas station. And you will go there less often. But even only spending $30 every 400 miles will not offset the fact that you’re spending $500 per month for the privilege to do so.
    But, no, you say, it’s not about saving money; it’s about saving the planet! Oh, “the planet”. I see. Well tell me then, what does “the planet” plan to do with the toxic battery of your shiny new hybrid once you are finished using it? It is a little acknowledged fact that the nickel mining required to manufacture the battery for your “environmentally conscious” car, is actually detrimental to the very environment you propose to save with its use. This is not only due to the extremely earth-destructive process of mining itself, but also due to the difficulty of recycling such toxic substances at the end of their shelf-life. You will, in essence, be trading a little petroleum consumption for the much greater evil of eternal toxic landfill cancer-causing sludge.
    But, no, you claim. You will own your hybrid forever, and by the end of forever some clever person will have found a way to more effectively recycle the environmentally toxic battery that propels your “earth-conscious” car. No, you won’t. Don’t kid yourself. You’re an American, and you will own your car for an average of four years. Then you will move on to whatever else is bright, shiny and new, compelled to do so by the very same automotive industry that got you into that bright shiny new hybrid to begin with.
    Assuming, that is, that you get that far with your hybrid. Because, God forbid you should get into an accident while driving that golf cart over five miles per hour. The very same ultra-lightweight nature of your hybrid, which contributed to that ultra-light gas consumption, will crumple like a recycled can of Coke at even the slightest of impacts. An impact, which frankly, you can’t afford. Assuming you survive your five mile per hour brush with death, the mechanical implications of such an impact will surely bankrupt you. If you’ve ever peeked under the hood of a hybrid then you already know there is a giant piece of plastic preventing you from viewing any of the cars mechanical components. The hybrid engine isn’t really an engine at all, not in the traditional sense of simple carbon combustion, anyway. No, the hybrid’s engine is really just a giant anti-social computer that doesn’t want you touching it in the first place. Only highly specialized hybrid technicians can poke their highly specialized tools into the complex computer components of the hybrid engine. Laymen need NOT apply. So be prepared to take out that second mortgage because repairs are NOT gonna be cheap! But, you say, there is a warranty and all of that will be covered. Perhaps...for a little while.
    But let me just reiterate that you will be driving the automotive equivalent of a golf cart. And you will be looking less than cool, sneaking up on deaf old ladies in grocery store parking lots with your silent tin can. And how will you feel when you cause some elderly person’s cardiac arrest by arriving noiselessly behind them and startling the life right out of them with your futuristic non-car? I bet you didn’t think about that, did you!
    For all those would-be environmentalists who are now beginning to see the light, fear not. I have a solution for you: the muscle car. You may think you have misread that last line, because muscle cars, as everyone knows are “gas-guzzlers”, and thus not an environmentally conscious choice. You have not misread. Muscle cars are, in fact, the most over-looked friends of the environmental movement.
    Environmentalists, as everyone knows, are often fond of recycling. Buying a car that has been used and re-used since at least the 1970’s is, in fact, the ultimate form of recycling! And you can find a recycled muscle car for a fraction of the cost of a brand-new, environmentally unfriendly hybrid. It is, in fact, a return to the moral fortitude of a bygone era. You work, you save, and you buy what you can afford. You eliminate the modern day “buy now, pay later...with 18.24% APR” mentality that has led to this indebted nation of bank bail-outs in which we find ourselves today.
    So, you’ve spent your $3,000-$12,000 (cost and quality vary greatly) on your fire-engine red with black racing stripes, ’70 Chevelle SS, with a rebuilt 402 big block hydraulic roller motor. You own it. It belongs to you, not to the bank. So climb in, take in the deep and satisfied breath of independence. You have just taken your first important step toward saving the planet. You have bucked the trend of buy now, buy new, and pay later. You have recycled not just an American classic; you have recycled the American dream! God-bless you, you patriot...I mean, environmentalist.
    Now, you will have to fuel this fine piece of American craftsmanship, and I’m not going to lie to you, this will cost you. If you are truly dedicated to the environmental movement, than this is a good thing. The sizeable amount you will have to spend on gas will no doubt keep you off of the road and further protecting the environment from hazardous emissions. You will simply cut back, way back, on your driving. I recommend this. At about $45 per 180 miles, you will probably realize what a frivolous driver you once were, before you joined the environmentalists’ movement. There were probably a lot of unnecessary places to which you were driving. You can now cease all of those superfluous visits to your mother-in-laws house. Your significant other will understand. It’s for the environment.
    The hybrid’s compact nature, no doubt, meant several trips to the grocery store per week. Now, with trunk space that would impress even the Mafia, you can cut your grocery outings to perhaps once every two weeks. You can finally cleanse yourself of your earth-killing addiction to such follies as “fresh” produce. The countless gallons of petroleum required to ship such luxuries from the hands of child laborers in South America all the way to your greedy face, are now saved. The environment thanks you.
    And every time you slide down into your earth-mobile, you can rest easy. While you are thoughtfully protecting the planet, your muscle car will be protecting you. Your muscle car is built of solid steel, with solid craftsmanship, and will encase you within its protective womb of chrome and iron every time you venture out. Should you happen to be involved in some kind of collision, do not be surprised when someone else has to inform you of this after the fact. You will not have noticed if someone driving a plastic Prius has rear-ended you on the highway at 60mph, as the impact will have been absorbed entirely by the Prius’ collapsible, plastic design. Where-as the Prius and its callously non-environmentally aware occupant will no doubt have been obliterated, you will be hard-pressed to locate even so much as a scratch on your shiny chrome bumper.
    The mechanics of the muscle car will also fill your environmental soul with joy. When constructing this masterpiece of engineering, real people used real parts to do so. As this was before the invention of computers (and subsequent downfall of society), in a time when mere mortals could still perform the necessary adjustments in order to keep an automobile in good working order. Lift the hood, look inside, and try not to be too surprised when you see that this car contains an actual combustion engine. It does not repel your lay-person hands with computerized mumbo-jumbo, but instead invites them in to feel around. Now, I suppose I should have prefaced this by saying that automotive mechanics are by no means simple. But with some instruction and practice, and of course the “can do” attitude that built this great nation, these things are easily within your grasp. And the burgeoning environmentalist within you can sleep soundly at night knowing that none of these cars’ parts and pieces were produced at the hands of over-seas child laborers.
    All that aside, I must now mention the “cool” factor. In a muscle car, you are large and in charge. You are solid, yet thrifty; shiny and beautiful to behold, yet low impact on the environment. You are loud and powerful. The whole neighborhood can hear how much you love the planet in the roar of your recycled, rebuilt big block engine. A boisterous and proud statement to the world that you are pro-earth! You are classic, yet forward thinking. You are an environmentalist!
    And one last word to those backwards minded hybrid pushers that still do not believe the gospel of the muscle car revolution. When you’re coasting around silently on your environment-killing battery-propelled car, spending thousands just for the privilege, hoping and praying you don’t get in an accident going over 5mph, while smiling your smug smile, with your moral superiority complex, just think, “Foolish gas-guzzlers. When will they learn,” and kindly coast out of the way, there’s a muscle car comin’ through.</span>

Guys, I will attempt to give you a heads up on the corn issue. I would like to say e85 is the end all answer for the oil problems in this country. But it probably is not. I know something about this particular commodity as I live in the middle of the corn belt. I raise corn as 80-90% of our crops each year. The media has misinformed the country as to the food supply being in jeopardy with the use of corn as a fuel. We(the corn growers in the corn belt) can produce more corn than the country will ever need. I don't have the exact numbers on hand but we export a huge amount every year. Someone with better google skills may find it. Rest assured it is in the millions of metric tons. These beliefs allow the middle man to do exactly what has been happening in the local supermarkets.
    As said in a previous post a guy didn't even know where to find e85. Do you think this is by chance.
    My 2 cents

RE: the Chevy Volt:

“No one is going to pay a $15,000 premium for a car that competes with a Corolla. So there are not enough idiots who will buy it.”

-- Johan de Nysschen, president of Audi of America

Not having read this whole post,

I wonder, what do you do with a 5 year old electric car? Can you even trade one in or sell it? Makes me think of my 5 year old computer, nobody wants it. It's technology is 5 years old, and the batteries need replacing, at a high cost I'll add.

Now is this 5 year old vehicle a "Hazardous waste" issue?

I know I can sell my 5 year old Tahoe, or gas powered vehicle.

And the beat goes on:

December 30, 2011, 2:49 PM
    Fisker Recalling 239 Karma Plug-In Hybrids for Fire Hazard
    By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN

Fisker Automotive is recalling all 239 of its 2012 Karma luxury plug-in hybrid cars because of a fire hazard, according to a report filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Prices on the 2012 model start at $103,000, including the destination charge.

In a report filed recently on the agency’s Web site, Fisker said some hose clamps were not properly positioned, which could allow a coolant leak. “If coolant enters the battery compartment an electrical short could possibly occur, causing a thermal event within the battery, including a possible fire in the worse case,” the company told the safety agency....

Electric vehicles ARE the answer, just not now.

Batteries are toxic and take a shit load of chemicals and petrol and lead/zinc etc to manufacture...

Disposing of them, the generated electricity to charge them.

Someday they'll be pure solar and will make it worth while - except we'll never see that day because the oil companies, car companies etc will not be able to ass rape you if you don't have to refill it.

The ultimate answer - water seperated into HH0 on the fly - runs from garden hose...

until that day, current electric vehicles are just as bad for the environment if not worse.

I just took a look at the drive train on a Tesla and I have to say that I am impressed. The whole thing including motors could fit in my wife's trunk.

There are very few moving parts, zero fluids to change and it has a 300 mile range.

The manufacturing cost of these vehicles has to be very low and coupled with the fact that they require little to no maintenance I can see this design winning out in the future.

All that needs to happen for us to see 15-18k electric cars is a price reduction in LiFePo4 cells.

Articlight is right on the money with his post.
    someday maybe,but until the battery technology changes and we grow less dependent on oil which is a long road because of the financial impact oil has on the Global economy it will be an uphill battle.

The only thing impressive about the Tesla is the Company's chutzpa. They're selling a reworked Elise that's 800 lbs heavier than the original, and only gets 55 miles on a charge if driven <span style="font-style: italic">"con brio"</span>, takes 24 hours+ to recharge from a regular 110V outlet (allegedly 3.5 hours <span style="text-decoration: underline">if</span> you have the bespoke 70A 240V charging station), has an 800-lb, $36,000 battery pack that only has a 100,000 mile life expectancy, and the MSRP is twice a regular Elise's.

Even <span style="text-decoration: underline">if</span> the Tesla's battery pack will last 100,000 ,miles (figure the odds), over 250,000 miles of ownership, it would cost about the same if you bought a new Elise every 50,000 miles and simply threw the old one away.

Their 2010 business plan for 2011 was to sell 20,000 of the new $60K Model S sedans. The only problem is, the Model S sedan never made it into production. Which I'm happy to hear because that saves the $150 million in government rebates they were offering.