• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are My Expectations Too High?

How Well Should A Mid-Grade AR-15 Shoot Mid-Grade Ammo?

• <1MOA

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • 1-1.5MOA

Votes: 79 35.1%
  • 1.5-2MOA

Votes: 83 36.9%
  • 2-2.5MOA

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • 2.5-3MOA

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • >3MOA

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
This is the first time I’ve had a serious try at facial hair.

During this winter up here in the White North of Doom, my flowing handlebar mustache was constantly freezing to my rifle stock at the range. My nose breath was forming a little ice rink right on top of the stock, and the beauteous mustachio was dipping in (like in a hot tub) during each firing string. After firing was complete, the hairy little buggers wanted to stay and refused to give up their seats.

Ow!
Very captivating and descriptive.

Reactions: carbonbased
Alrighty, here we go!

Bought some IMI 77gr Razor Core and headed back to the range this afternoon.

Not the greatest range setup, but it'll do in a pinch. Sat down, warmed up with some dry fire; everything is awesome. Reticle isn't moving when I break the trigger, position feels pretty comfy, I've got the rifle bay to myself.

View attachment 7831260

Shot five rounds of Aguila 62gr that I had laying around. 2.701" group.

Shot five rounds of the Freedom Munitions SS109 that I did last week to keep a baseline. 2.576" group. Not quite as terrible as last week, but probably not outside of statistical deviation.

Shot five rounds of the IMI 77gr. 1.564" group. Got up, drank some water, tried to relax for a few minutes. Sat back down, put five more into the same group, opened up to 1.676". Not too bad.

Shot another five rounds of the IMI, 1.465" group.

View attachment 7831261

So yeah. Probably just don't shoot really crap ammo for accuracy. My brain says, "IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH," because that clean ragged hole is euphoric to see, but for this rifle and its purpose, this is very acceptable.
It is harder to shoot good groups off a harris than an Atlas, rest, sand bags, or other higher quality bipods. That bench looks like it would make it very hard to get straight behind the rifle and square your shoulders to the target.

It is harder to shoot good groups off a harris than an Atlas, rest, sand bags, or other higher quality bipods. That bench looks like it would make it very hard to get straight behind the rifle and square your shoulders to the target.
what? dude just stop