• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are no dial stages still a thing?

I remember when anyone here who said that dialing for wind was a valid strategy in some instances was immediately shouted down by the PRS crowd.

Now that evidently the pendulum has swung the other way, the crowd is sure to follow

HonoredInferiorGuillemot-size_restricted.gif
I think your just butt hurt you’re not good enough to shoot PRS matches

• Haha
Reactions: drglock and lash
Can't touch anything once you're on glass. Also can't look through the scope while staging the rifle.

A TIP is if you have locking turrets, engage them. I was shocked at how many people I DQ'ed on a stage due to them grabbing the dial by habit.

Reactions: Rob01
Yes. Occasionally you’ll see no-dial stages, but even if you do, they trip up plenty of people because they are speed stages without dialing (duh, right?). There’s almost always a trade off with precision and speed, and depending on the size of targets, you’re “stacking errors” against yourself on small targets if you hold over. In addition to this, it’s easy to mess up a hold (“I held 2.3 instead of 3.3! Aargh!”).

It’s really up to you, but today’s targets have gotten so small, that most shooters don’t hold unless they have to. And by most, I mean the top 50 at a match. Put another way - most “top” shooters. This is why Matty B. uses the H2CMR and Clay, Austin, Tate and Justin developed the JTAC.

Reticles are a highly personal matter and that’s why it’s interesting to hear different perspectives from guys like me and Rob01 and weigh how you might want to handle a stage yourself.

Great point. I see the same thing among top shooters here too. Most everyone dials if at all possible, even on stages where you have to move very quickly.

I'm not as fast as some when it comes to transitions and dialing, but I've got a good sense of whether I can dial a stage without putting undue speed pressure on myself. I'd say that at least every other match I'll shoot a stage voluntarily without dialing because I think I'd have too little time to dial all the targets. Our local MD is very good at stage design that way, forcing you to make the judgement call.

Not at all. Not dialing is only part of the stage. Not all of it. He still has to put together a stage and then to add a difficulty and skill test says hold only. I can see why most are crying about them seeing the responses here. Easier to say the MD is lazy than look at yourself as lazy for not practicing a useful skill right?
You're being argumentative and you know it. Nice under the table jab but I can guarantee I practice holds enough to be proficient at them. I practice them enough to know when it's beneficial to use and when they're not.

One more time for those in the back, just because an MD gets lazy in they're stage description does not mean they are lazy. I've spent enough time helping MDs put matches together and assemble C.o.Fs to know the difference. But maybe it's just easier to put words in a dudes mouth while complaining about weak 6mm's and mythical 30lb rifles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
You're being argumentative and you know it. Nice under the table jab but I can guarantee I practice holds enough to be proficient at them. I practice them enough to know when it's beneficial to use and when they're not.

One more time for those in the back, just because an MD gets lazy in they're stage description does not mean they are lazy. I've spent enough time helping MDs put matches together and assemble C.o.Fs to know the difference. But maybe it's just easier to put words in a dudes mouth while complaining about weak 6mm's and mythical 30lb rifles.

Not a jab at anyone in particular but what I am observing. Also I am not being argumentative but speaking my mind and my feelings on the subject from decades of shooting matches. And when you got guys saying they are scared to hold in the reticle then yeah there is a problem. Practice and training will fix it. Not dumbing down stages. My opinion and I am free to voice it here. You are free to disagree.

And it's your opinion the MD is lazy by making a hold only stage. I don't see it that way at all and see it as him testing the shooters. Making them use a skill. Holding is only part of the make up of the stage but seems like the part everyone is fixated on.

And shit what do you guys need those fancy H2CMR and JTAC reticle if you are dialing everything? All you need is a center dot then. Right?

So which words were put in your mouth? These?
"Shooters must use holdover for this stage" is lazy on the MDs part. Post 24

Requiring it in the description is lazy on both accounts. If you want a shooter to use a skill, set the stage design up so that the most points can be scored by using the desired skill. Post 26
🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s okay to have differing opinions, but at some point an MD wants you to use a specific skill set because not every stage is a ‘solve it the best way that you can’ stage.

An example: many matches in the past would have stages that were 12 rounds to make competitors do a mag change on the clock. A useful skill to say the least. Well the market solved that with 12+ round magazines. Now, if an MD wants to include that skill in his stage he likely has to include a requirement for a magazine change. Either that or make it a 20 round stage to ensure a mag change. And we all know how well that will go over.

Sometimes having a requirement to use a particular skill is just that.

🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s okay to have differing opinions, but at some point an MD wants you to use a specific skill set because not every stage is a ‘solve it the best way that you can’ stage.

An example: many matches in the past would have stages that were 12 rounds to make competitors do a mag change on the clock. A useful skill to say the least. Well the market solved that with 12+ round magazines. Now, if an MD wants to include that skill in his stage he likely has to include a requirement for a magazine change. Either that or make it a 20 round stage to ensure a mag change. And we all know how well that will go over.

For the 10th time I am not arguing that it's not an important skill. I practice it and use it a lot. But there are infinitely better ways to test its and force shooters to use it than, "shooter will not touch their turrets once time begins". That is literally the definition of a contrived stage design that so many on here love to complain about.

Edit: I will admit that I should have phrased my response better. We all know, myself included, that MDs aren't lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash

🤷🏻‍♂️

Recent match in Utah: unsupported sling stage from 4 positions. 15 rounds on 5 targets, 120 seconds. MD's reasoning? "Utah shooters used to be good. I wanted to push them."

My score sucked and I got 68% of the match winner's freak-high score.

I loved that match, because it was fun, and it was a challenge. People just like to whine.

I remember when anyone here who said that dialing for wind was a valid strategy in some instances was immediately shouted down by the PRS crowd.

Now that evidently the pendulum has swung the other way, the crowd is sure to follow

HonoredInferiorGuillemot-size_restricted.gif
I remember that too, however I still secretly dialed for wind. I did it because I sucked and thought it was easier. Now I know I was ahead of my time.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG and Rob01
I was ROing (spotting) a stage at the Best of Texas 2day match a few years ago. The target was beyond a body of water And you could clearly see the wind direction in the ripples on the pond. One shooter, after droppping most (all?) of the points in the stage asked where he was missing.

“Hey, where were those shots falling?”

“Off the left side of the target.”

“Really, I dialed [something] for wind.”

“Well, the wind is moving right to left…”

“What? … … … Of fuck! I dialed the wrong way!”

And we've all heard the same when guys get off a stage and realize they had a brain fart and held the wrong way.

It's all about personal preference and proper training/practice.

Dialing wind will also make you better at reading wind by default. You are forced to make an actual read, down to .1 and dial it in. Non of this left edge and see what happens stuff. Just by doing this you will subconsciously become better just by having to make a real decision. Of course holding wind works just as well.

And we've all heard the same when guys get off a stage and realize they had a brain fart and held the wrong way.

It's all about personal preference and proper training/practice.

Dialing wind will also make you better at reading wind by default. You are forced to make an actual read, down to .1 and dial it in. Non of this left edge and see what happens stuff. Just by doing this you will subconsciously become better just by having to make a real decision. Of course holding wind works just as well.

Dialing wind does not make you any better at reading wind than holding for it. It’s just a different way to compensate for your wind call. You have to make your initial wind call no matter how you do it and adjust accordingly on the clock and when on the clock you probably won’t be reaching up and dialing on an adjustment to your initial wind call. Well at least I hope you wouldn’t be as holding the correction is faster.

Dialing wind does not make you any better at reading wind than holding for it. It’s just a different way to compensate for your wind call. You have to make your initial wind call no matter how you do it and adjust accordingly on the clock and when on the clock you probably won’t be reaching up and dialing on an adjustment to your initial wind call. Well at least I hope you wouldn’t be as holding the correction is faster.

I suggest you study up on psychology in training and teaching. You're speaking in a perfect world scenario in which we do not live.

Most shooters when asked their wind call after will give roundabout and "between this and that" answers. As well as many of them just start on the edge of plate and work from there.

Whether is dialing or holding, forcing one's self to make a call down to .1 will help. Dialing forces you do do this. Holding, that's up to the individual to ensure they actually make a call down to .1.

I will move on. You seem to just want to argue for the sake of arguing and not really keeping an open mind (though you seem to want everyone to share an open mind with your opinions).

Enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I suggest you study up on psychology in training and teaching. You're speaking in a perfect world scenario in which we do not live.
No I’m speaking from a place of looking at stages and figuring my wind. Anyone who says “ah I’ll just hold edge and see what happens” needs to learn how to approach a stage better. Nothing to do with psychology.

Most shooters when asked their wind call after will give roundabout and "between this and that" answers. As well as many of them just start on the edge of plate and work from there.

Whether is dialing or holding, forcing one's self to make a call down to .1 will help. Dialing forces you do do this. Holding, that's up to the individual to ensure they actually make a call down to .1.

I will move on. You seem to just want to argue for the sake of arguing and not really keeping an open mind (though you seem to want everyone to share an open mind with your opinions).

Enjoy.

Seeing as you wanted to go back and edit, you are still wrong. No one goes oh I will hold between this and that. They have an initial wind call like the person who dialed but they can adjust that easily enough. Even if you walk up to the line and wind dies then what does the dialer do? Stick with their best guess or adjust? I am not arguing but trying to explain to you and you don’t want to hear it.

Yeah holding behind a mover is a mind blower. I remember doing that down that Rifles Only shooting 400-600 yard movers and having to hold 1.5 mils behind the target. Lol

I can never bring myself to dial wind, except on mover stages. I think my brain would explode if the wind died and I had to hold the wrong side of the plate.

I agree.

The only time I dial wind is for movers.

I think dialing vs. holding wind is completely a personal choice, I won't criticize anyone for doing it one way or another. However, some of the most frequent mistakes I've seen is bad turret management, usually when dialling wind.

Whatever your chosen method is, practice and be comfortable with it.

As for holdovers, I think this is a good skill to have and practice.

While no single stage in any given match may necessitate it by stage design, it may be advantageous to do so multiple target distances are required and time is a concern.

I remember that too, however I still secretly dialed for wind. I did it because I sucked and thought it was easier. Now I know I was ahead of my time.

That's OK you can come out now

• Haha
Reactions: lash
You re dial each time it changes direction???
nah, u dial the "wind" once, not the entire mover hold...then hold the same lead for the mover both directions (if you get the wind perfect)

not dialing wind, if there is a .5 mil wind present and a 1.1mil target lead...it would make your lead hold moving into the wind 1.6 vs .6 going with it...if you dial .5 for the wind, u can just hold 1.1mil both ways

even if u guess the wind wrong and are at least close, you can usually hold 1.1 to front edge one way and back edge the other...lots of ways to adjust for it

getting the wind dialed so the hold is similar both ways usually seems to work out better for most shooters, especially in a case where youve never shot that mover before so there may be some error in your lead estimation...someone plans to hold 1mil, but misses/correct and then hit with 1.6...but then theyre trying to figure how much of that hold was wind vs lead when it changes directions and they start missing again on the come back trip, etc...can be a cluster lol