• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Old R700s the “good ones”

Iamero

Barksa #1 Fanboy & Professional Paper Puncher
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Michigan
    Just did a bit of research on a 257 Roberts I picked up on trade this week. It’s built on a “B” prefix receiver indicating early 80s build. The gun is super nice to shoot and sits in a HSP stock, it has a Douglas barrel that I had threaded today for my suppressor. Old style Remington trigger tuned up and everything.

I was just curious what made the old ones so nice. The bolt face and lugs look really nice, but the steel on the outside of the receiver intrigued me. It’s more rough, not perfectly machined, but I love the character of the old machining.

Just wanted a bit more insight on it in case I decided to put it up for sale soon.

Really it's just pre-Freedom Group quality. When Freedom Group acquired Remington, quality and quality control went to shit.

When was that? I know there was the recall in the 2000s but wondered when they turned things to crap.

Remington is as acquired by Cerberus Capital in June 2007 and renamed Freedom Group.

It really depends on what model 700 you get. The m40 has used every prefix, don't think that quality is 100% fair to judge based on the cheaper model 700 actions. You can spend some good coin and buy a really nice custom 40x still.
    M40 - 6 and 7 digit
    M40A1 - 6, C and E
    M40A3 - E and G
    M40A5 - E and G
    M40A6 - E, G and RR

It really depends on what model 700 you get. The m40 has used every prefix, don't think that quality is 100% fair to judge based on the cheaper model 700 actions. You can spend some good coin and buy a really nice custom 40x still.
    M40 - 6 and 7 digit
    M40A1 - 6, C and E
    M40A3 - E and G
    M40A5 - E and G
    M40A6 - E, G and RR

Interesting. I have an "F" marked receiver. Curious as to why the Corps would go from E-G and not use F? Anybody know? Thanks in advance.