• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Are S&B really that good

tjonh2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2007
ND
i have 5 nxs scopes and i am putting together a new tactical/hunting gun for matches and im considering a S&B. wondering if they are worth the extra over a NF of should i just get another NF. i preffer MOA/MOA and was thinking of the 4x16 or 5x25 this will be going on a 6x47lapua. i have never used a S&B but i see they are very popular with top notch shooters here. which models will accomidate my needs?
thanks
toby

Re: Are S&B really that good

I warn you not to buy and S&B, it will cost you dearly. You will then want to replace all 5 of your NXSs after shooting a bit with the S&B.

I'm dealing with the same issue right now. ugh. I should never have bought the S&B.

S&Bs are awesome. I definately feel spoiled with mine.

However if you are already heavily invested and trained in MOA/MOA a Mil/Mil configuration and clockwise turret will only throw you off.

NF is a well liked scope for good reasons. I'd say you're probably best off sticking with what you've got.

I say buy one and try it out. Get a mil/mil and learn that method as well.

I say 4-16x with P4F lit.

I loved my 5-25 S&B...till it went tits up in the middle of a 2 day match. I have 2 Nightforces now...

I love the S&B that I have, but I cant honestly think of anything it does better than any of the 8 NXSs I have.

S&B are excellent scopes. I have had 3 of them and all worked great abnd had great glass. Basically NF or S&B would be the only scopes I'd put on my rifles now. I used to use a S&B 5-25 for comps and use a NF 3.5-15 F1 now and don't really feel slighted. Either way you go you will be fine in that decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B, USO, Zeiss Hensoldt. Coinflip. </div></div>

USO's glass nowhere near the quality of the other 2 you listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved my 5-25 S&B...till it went tits up in the middle of a 2 day match. I have 2 Nightforces now... </div></div>

How did it go tits up? Asking cause i saw a S&B just like mine "freeze" up in the magnification ring just yesterday, it was -15 C out ther but still that was not the cause.

/Chris

Like M.45 says , it will cost you in the end. The features and clarity will make you think about switching to all S&Bs. I currently have 3 NFs and 3 S&Bs. My new buy will be a S&B. The Nightforce is a great scope and I do like choices in reticles. I would not sell them but I do like the S&Bs better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved my 5-25 S&B...till it went tits up in the middle of a 2 day match. I have 2 Nightforces now... </div></div>

How did it go tits up? Asking cause i saw a S&B just like mine "freeze" up in the magnification ring just yesterday, it was -15 C out ther but still that was not the cause.

/Chris </div></div>

From one shot to the next in the middle of a stage. Fist shot was great, switched to another position on the barricade, peered through the scope, and it looked like someone smeared vaseline all over my glass. I shot at white blobs for the rest of the stage. Finished the night and next day with a backup Bushnell. 2 other S&B 5-25s went TU at that match as well, one with a broken objective lense.

Reliability is more important than optical clarity for me at this point. I've broken a number of scopes...none of them being Nightforces...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved my 5-25 S&B...till it went tits up in the middle of a 2 day match. I have 2 Nightforces now... </div></div>

/Chris </div></div>

From one shot to the next in the middle of a stage. Fist shot was great, switched to another position on the barricade, peered through the scope, and it looked like someone smeared vaseline all over my glass. I shot at white blobs for the rest of the stage. Finished the night and next day with a backup Bushnell. 2 other S&B 5-25s went TU at that match as well, one with a broken objective lense.

Reliability is more important than optical clarity for me at this point. I've broken a number of scopes...none of them being Nightforces... </div></div>

I was there too RK.That weekend at the TPRC was what took the wind out of my sails for buying S$B.

I just got a USO that to be honest doesn't have the greatest glass.It's a SN3 TPAL.The Horus Falcon I just sold has better clarity.

NF is looking better and better all the time.

Steve

S&B is the way to go. You won't look back after buying one, but like the others said, you can't buy just one.

Outstanding quality, fit and finish, and tough as nails. You will not be disappointed. Buy once, cry once!

For the money I don't think Premier Heritage scopes can be beat.
But If Im gonna drop some serious dollars I will go Zeiss Hensoldt.

I own quite a few USO's and have never been let down. Their tough as nails and pretty much stand up to any abuse or caliber. Glass is clear and tracks great.

I have no problem with any of the aforementioned scopes(USO, NF, S&B, Hensoldt), however, I have nevetr had my ST-10 fail or freeze up during an hour long shooting string in sub zero(-50 or lower). No fog, no frozen knobs, just plain worked. Time was before I owned a house, I shot a lot and it was usually in really crappy conditions because, well, it was crappy out.
I am SO glad it only gets to about 14* here, and I been hearing that this is abnormal weather for this AO...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no problem with any of the aforementioned scopes(USO, NF, S&B, Hensoldt), however, I have nevetr had my ST-10 fail or freeze up during an hour long shooting string in sub zero(-50 or lower). No fog, no frozen knobs, just plain worked. Time was before I owned a house, I shot a lot and it was usually in really crappy conditions because, well, it was crappy out.
I am SO glad it only gets to about 14* here, and I been hearing that this is abnormal weather for this AO... </div></div>

I am very interested in knowing where the hell you shoot where the temperature gets -50 or lower?

I dont think they will make you a better shooter, or allow you to shoot any better than you can with any other quality optics. IN MY OPINION.

That said, I have tried most all of the high end optics and I love Schmidt&Bender. the 5-25 mil/mil I had on a couple rifles may be my all time favorite. Cant really say why.

It was no clearer than my USO's (which I also love), didnt track any better (cant get better than perfect,LOL).

But, it is something that should be experienced. They are overkill for most uses, just like USO's and similar, but it is nice to know you have the best available.

My favorite all time optic that I have personally owned would be a toss up between that 5-25 and the 1.8-10TPal I currently have. Just awesome optics.

I've seen that in Northern Nevada, although the typical is more like -30! I've seen one of our guys hug a working 12KW resistance heater in order to warm up. Mechanical equipment doesn't like it anymore than the guys, and breaks just looking at it wrong. It's damn cold, we have seen temperature swings of 100 degrees in a single day there.

To answer your question, I have several S&B's and think they are tremendous scopes.

Sold mine, just had a hard time with looking at 2.5k sitting atop my rig, bought two Gen 4 IORs for the same price and so far so good.

I have 2 S&B's, 1 Night Force, and 3 IOR's. The S&B's are hands down the best. Best glass, best tracking, and so far very reliable. I'm not saying they don't break, but so far mine have operated without a glitch.

The NF is also a realy good scope for the money. Personaly, I think the IOR's have better glass than the NF scopes, but the NF are infinitely more durable.

If you are into the MOA/MOA thing I believe that USO and NF are your only real options. You might look at the Vortex Viper. I belive they are making a MOA/MOA model now. By the way, the Vortex is no slouch. I had the opourtunity to fondle the one that LL blew up and it is a damd fine scope. In fact I'll be replacing my NF scope with one soon.

Bottom line for me is if I have the money I buy S&B's.

I was in the same boat a little while ago - very much happy with my NXS scopes. One day I spent a good solid hour or so behind my 3.5-15x50mm NXS, then switched to my other rifle with an S&B 5-25x56mm...one member of the Hide was with me and I'm sure heard me say, "holy shit...what a difference this scope makes!"

I have some S&B's. Best I've seen. When I (my fault)effed one up and sent it back to Germany for repair,they sent me the exact new scope for a loaner while mine was visiting the Rhineland. Needless to say I bought the loaner as well,rather than send it back when my other was fixed.. Great Customer Service, my .02

Boltripper,

You still running that Tasco World Class on your stick? You know your not allowed on this thread with the guys that have real glass.

Now get back to sorting your brass and let the men talk!

By the way, you doing Tiger Valley this month? Just asking so I can plan on policing up my brass after I shoot.....

I have 2 S&B PMII 5x25x56's. I've owned 4 different USO, all were outstanding as well as Zeiss Diavari 6x24x56, A couple of Nighforce (1 NXS and 1 8x32X56 BR) as well as a shit load of Leupolds.

Buy what you can afford and hope its what you want. I switched over to Mil/Mil from moa glass awhile back and most importantly-LEARN to employ WHAT YOU HAVE. You have a lot of choices. IMO, S&B ARE THAT GOOD. But its better to buy a cheaper scope and actually GO TO THE RANGE and SHOOT. Spend more time behind the glass in the scope-THAN THE GLASS ON THE COMPUTER.

The only scopes that haven't failed me are the S&B's,Zeiss and three cheap ass SuperSniper fixed power scopes (10x,16x,20x-the 20X had more than 3K of 50BMG through it and it still works great.)

It's more important to learn to USE the GEAR you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper,

You still running that Tasco World Class on your stick? You know your not allowed on this thread with the guys that have real glass.

Now get back to sorting your brass and let the men talk!

By the way, you doing Tiger Valley this month? Just asking so I can plan on policing up my brass after I shoot..... </div></div>

.....lol........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved my 5-25 S&B...till it went tits up in the middle of a 2 day match. I have 2 Nightforces now... </div></div>

/Chris </div></div>
Well Chris, it wasn’t ice, something must be broken inside.
I mailed SuB yesterday but haven’t received any answer yet. And at first I could adjust it from 5x to 8 now I can barley go between 5-6x…

This is what happened:
I turned the scope up to 25x magnification to range the target and then turned it back down to 12x mag. and fired 6 rounds, then I tried to turn it up to 25x mag. again to spot the target and it didn´t work, so I turned it down to 5x mag. just to check that it work in that direction and it did, but when I tried to turn it back up again it stuck at 8x mag. so I can adjust from 5x mag. to 8x mag.

its truely not a matter of the money its more of is it truely worth twice the money. this rifle will be my all around rifle for shooting hunting/tactical matches. i dont want to ever have the option to blame my equiptment. that being said i want the best that is on the market.

also would the 5x25 or 3x15 be better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjonh2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its truely not a matter of the money its more of is it truely worth twice the money. this rifle will be my all around rifle for shooting hunting/tactical matches. i dont want to ever have the option to blame my equiptment. that being said i want the best that is on the market.

also would the 5x25 or 3x15 be better? </div></div>

Well you rather have magnification to spend rather than not have enough,

some people state that you dont need 25x, that is all I shoot with on the range, in the field hunting it´s mostly at 12x,

All kit can fail, as noted above, it´s just how and when it fails.

Lill-Rambo- mate, do remember that I didn´t say who´s scope or where,

I am sure that the great people at S&B will fix you right up, they are supposed to have great CS.

Take care/Chris

I also went thru the same issue traded 3 nightforces for 2 Premiers. "Made and serviced in the USA" I could not be happier witht ehm just called them for the clicker upgrade and at no cost to me there at my house now installed "very easy to do "
I will be sticking with the Premier for three reasons
1. made in the USA serive is on par with Dillon
2. these are CCW for elevation a big deal to me " ok im nuts"
3. price and quality of glass there unreally clear and cost less to boot there repaired as long as you own it not just original owner.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also went thru the same issue traded 3 nightforces for 2 Premiers. "Made and serviced in the USA" I could not be happier witht ehm just called them for the clicker upgrade and at no cost to me there at my house now installed "very easy to do "
3. price and quality of glass there unreally clear and cost less to boot there repaired as long as you own it not just original owner.

Bill</div></div>

Thought the Premiers were made in Nunya? Isn't that what the boss said? Oh no that's where the parts are sourced
wink.gif

He also said "At any rate, all of our optics and precision mechanical parts are sourced in Germany, the rest...well it varies." So looks like you will also have to settle for assembled in the USA.
grin.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1449299

Totally unscientific but I got out a S&B 5-25, a NXS 42, a USO 2.5-17x44 and a IOR 40mm tube monster and compared them by sitting them on a table, side by side (not on rifles) and pointed them at my berm 335 or so yards away. With lots of sunlight, no real discernable difference, but the as the sun went down, the S&B showed its better glass, no question. I have yet to use the IOR, SB or USO so I cannot comment on functionality, but I have used my NF NXS scopes a good bit and they track very well.

Caveat, I am an irons/sling high power shooter so I am, by no means, really knowledgeable about scopes, I am just lucky enough to have a bunch of good ones that I get around to playing with now and then and every once in a blue moon, I actually stick one on a prone gun and use it in an any/any match...rare, but I have done it.

Is the S&B worth the extra bucks over the NF...dunno, only YOUR wallet can decide. :)

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also went thru the same issue traded 3 nightforces for 2 Premiers. "Made and serviced in the USA" I could not be happier witht ehm just called them for the clicker upgrade and at no cost to me there at my house now installed "very easy to do "

Bill </div></div>

Nope, made in Nunya... Straight from the horses mouth...

I love my S&B 5x25 it would be hard for me to switch after having the S&B. I was shooting a competition and others where having problems with mirage and couldn’t even see their target. I had no problem and had clear visibility. I would be hard pressed to use anything else now. I did look at the Hendsoldt, but they didn’t have a FFP in their 25x. That would be the only one I would think about switching to in the future. Good luck on your choice.

Mike

I run six different PMII's...I've used them in temps down to -40F. Everything turns a little slower but they still work. The glass is outstanding in all 6. (four models)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B, USO, Zeiss Hensoldt. Coinflip. </div></div>

USO's glass nowhere near the quality of the other 2 you listed. </div></div>

In my best Peewee Herman voice, "I know you are but what am I?"

PGS,
I ain't runn nothing but the stove and my woman in -40. Cabbage become cannon balls in that brother, Damn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run six different PMII's...I've used them in temps down to -40F. Everything turns a little slower but they still work. The glass is outstanding in all 6. (four models) </div></div>

I have owned a Leup Mark IV 8.5x25x50 ILL TMR for a better of 6 months.. I look through the S&B and all bets are off.. I an now wating on a S&B.. They are very nice optics. Look through the Optics FAQ's and check out through the scope pics and there are a couple of S&B pics.. you can even tell the difference via a camera pic.. your call.. Cry once..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thought the Premiers were made in Nunya? Isn't that what the boss said? Oh no that's where the parts are sourced
wink.gif

He also said "At any rate, all of our optics and precision mechanical parts are sourced in Germany, the rest...well it varies." So looks like you will also have to settle for assembled in the USA.
grin.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1449299 </div></div>

One of many reasons why my money is going to S&B and Nightforce, straight up honest people.