• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

So, a few pages back, I posted about a PBR with control round push feed I bought locally. It exhibited some issues. My local gunsmith fixed the extraction/ejection issues, and adjusted the trigger.

But, it continues to shoot, what I think, is very low. Two different scopes and rings, albeit not top of the line, but 2 feet low at 25ish yards to just get on paper seems excessive to me. Are the stock two piece bases supposed to be 20moa? Because they don't look it, or seem to measure it. I've not read of this being a common issue, not sure what else to look for, before I spend $100+ on a new base.

Also, the factory DBM are just a plain cunt to get in and out of the gun. I have three all marked BC/2. One came with this PBR, one came with an XP(CRF) that I converted to a floorplate, and one I bought in a Winchester box. Anyone know if BC is the correct mag? Midwest gunworks has a chart based on control vs push, but doesn't address the crpf. Just looking at some old descriptions, seems they all use the same mag.
Either way, that just for info, I just bought a TBM from Midway and an extra 5rd mag...they are on sale for about $240. I also have the parts to convert it to a floorplate, but the PT&G bottom metal won't fit in the hogue stock or the Win HS precision stock..sigh

I was trying to avoid spending a lot of money on this rifle, this early on. So much for just zeroing a cheap scope with ball, and sticking it in the back of the safe.

Any ideas?

If MWGW still has the 20MOA scope mount buy it , it should fit with a tap & thread, also check out McMillan for closeout stocks in WIN SA/FNH some modification to the stock might be needed but will be minimal ( dremal and bedding compound) for PTG BM, or stick with the floor plate .The floor plate/detach mag system sucks unless you find factory ammo that your gun likes and it feeds correctly. The first rifle I ever owned was a WIN M70 30/06 Push feed with a 16" pencil barrel and it never failed to feed, it just wandered after the pencil barrel had three or more rounds down it.
Never buy a cheap scope get the best you can afford or wait and get a top tier scope if your build exhibits accuracy worthy of such purchase !

Reactions: 2c1fr
So, a few pages back, I posted about a PBR with control round push feed I bought locally. It exhibited some issues. My local gunsmith fixed the extraction/ejection issues, and adjusted the trigger.

But, it continues to shoot, what I think, is very low. Two different scopes and rings, albeit not top of the line, but 2 feet low at 25ish yards to just get on paper seems excessive to me. Are the stock two piece bases supposed to be 20moa? Because they don't look it, or seem to measure it. I've not read of this being a common issue, not sure what else to look for, before I spend $100+ on a new base.

Also, the factory DBM are just a plain cunt to get in and out of the gun. I have three all marked BC/2. One came with this PBR, one came with an XP(CRF) that I converted to a floorplate, and one I bought in a Winchester box. Anyone know if BC is the correct mag? Midwest gunworks has a chart based on control vs push, but doesn't address the crpf. Just looking at some old descriptions, seems they all use the same mag.
Either way, that just for info, I just bought a TBM from Midway and an extra 5rd mag...they are on sale for about $240. I also have the parts to convert it to a floorplate, but the PT&G bottom metal won't fit in the hogue stock or the Win HS precision stock..sigh

I was trying to avoid spending a lot of money on this rifle, this early on. So much for just zeroing a cheap scope with ball, and sticking it in the back of the safe.

Any ideas?

Shit dude, thanks for the heads up on the factory TBM with 5 and 10 rounder for $240. I just got the second to last one apparently.

Regarding your bases, I think I'd be suspicious of them. I was fortunate in that my A1 and A2 came with Badger bases already.

Have you done all of the obvious stuff, like make sure someone didn't install them backwards? Probably not a lot of help, I have zero experience with the PBR.

Reactions: R Moran
If MWGW still has the 20MOA scope mount buy it , it should fit with a tap & thread, also check out McMillan for closeout stocks in WIN SA/FNH some modification to the stock might be needed but will be minimal ( dremal and bedding compound) for PTG BM, or stick with the floor plate .The floor plate/detach mag system sucks unless you find factory ammo that your gun likes and it feeds correctly. The first rifle I ever owned was a WIN M70 30/06 Push feed with a 16" pencil barrel and it never failed to feed, it just wandered after the pencil barrel had three or more rounds down it.
Never buy a cheap scope get the best you can afford or wait and get a top tier scope if your build exhibits accuracy worthy of such purchase !
Are you saying the TBM sucks or the PTG?

Are you saying the TBM sucks or the PTG?
The FNH TBM & Mags are GTG I use them on my SPR, I have no first hand experience with PT&G other than research that showed they do not quite fit the factory inlet on McMillan stocks but can be used with minimal modifications . The mag system I'm referring to came with the PBR and utilized a floor plate with a detachable mag box that is a pain in the ass to use and restricts COAL for handloads.

Reactions: moosemeat
The PTG DBM system works great.

If you can avoid buying directly from them and use one of their dealers.

Inletting is an easy task.

I just wish Jeff @ CDI was still with us.

He was an asset to our community.

Who deals the ptg dbm?

ETA- I've had one that was supposed to be "in stock" on order for 5 months. I'm about to pull the trigger on the TBM kit and just be done with it even tho it also is mag limited and out of production.

Who deals the ptg dbm?

ETA- I've had one that was supposed to be "in stock" on order for 5 months. I'm about to pull the trigger on the TBM kit and just be done with it even tho it also is mag limited and out of production.

Man, for $240 for the TBM and two mags, you'll be kicking yourself for not picking it up off Midway right now. There are times where this stuff goes unobtainium. You can get spare mags still for $50 right now too.

If you ever get your PTG stuff, you could easily sell the TBM kit down the road for what you have invested in it. It wasn't long ago that they were selling for twice that and people were buying.

Having three SPRs I've come to the point where I just buy shit the moment it becomes available. I sat on the stuff from MGW for too long and lost out...no way I'm doing that again.

Reactions: R Moran
The trick with the TBM is 10rnd mag availability. The 5rnd mags are no problem, but I’ve seen the 10s go for almost $100/ea.

I’ve been tempted to get another TBM at Midway’s price, but I just have too many other projects and not enough in my slush fund. I’m set for mags for a long while (I think I’m sitting on 7-8 of the 10rnd and 3-4 of the 5rnd), and it’ll be awhile before I’m ready to stock my other rifle so I have time to track another TBM down (or go with PTG and AICS mags).

But yeah, if anyone’s looking, now’s the time to buy. Short of when MGW had theirs on sale a few years ago, this is the cheapest I’ve seen a TBM kit sell for since ~2019 or 2020!

Reactions: diggler1833
Midway must have upped the price on the TBM mag kit. They are back up to $459.
I recently ran my fn SPR A1 in a nrl hunter match with 1 10 round tbm mag. The mag ran good, I did have problems with the round nose driving a couple time. Wish I would have stocked up on 10 round mags.

Still trying to figure out which firing pin spring to get as a replacement. I have two different lengths across my three bolts

Fn -TBM question
My 10 rounder 99% fumbles the last round. Nose up and binds. Anybody else have this issue?
Yep have had the same problem with the 10 round mags. I did the spring stretch trick and it helped a bit. I also bent the mag feed lips to get the round to ride a little high. Seem to help a bit more.

I will give that a try if the spring stretch doesn't work. I'm also gonna try seating the rounds a little shorter cause they are at 2.845 now and have very little room.

Got this yesterday
1.jpg

2.jpg

20230803_085042.jpg

Sorry for the crap photo.

Left: FN SPR A2 (S/N: FN2027X). This one has a different pin assembly, and the shroud is a bit different too.

Middle: FN SPR A1 (S/N: FN1030X).

Right: FN SPR "first gen with H-S stock" (S/N: FG1069X).

As I don't intend on ever getting rid of these rifles, I'm just looking at trying to stock up on a few extra firing pin springs as the round counts increase.

Reactions: jetmd and M77
For the older FN103XX and the FG106XX you need the long spring #U356401670. For the newer FN202XX you would need the short spring #U356402100. MWGW looks like they have both in stock.

I would also recommend ordering a couple of the firing pin spring retainers #U356432040 while you're at it. Installing the spring runs the risk of this retainer flying off into the nether regions of your shop never to be seen again. MWGM has these, too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Any ideas?
The two-piece bases on the very early PBRs did not have a 20 MOA cant. If you want a new, one-piece base, MWGW has the titanium rail from the SPR-A3G for $52. That's a steal, titanium steel! (pun intended) It'll fit the PBRs. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/62558

Two feet low at 25 yards is extreme. That would suggest that something is really out of wack, so much so it would be visibly apparent. Were your scopes off of something else before? Were you able to zero and still have enough vertical adjustment to dial up to what ever range you needed?
The BC2 is the correct DMB magazine for the original PBR with CRPF. This is the same magazine FN used for all DBM rifles with four round capacities. The TBM conversion kit will drop right into your Hogue stocked PBR, no fitting required. The TBM is a worth while upgrade for $240, in my opinion.

Good luck with your project.

AG

For the older FN103XX and the FG106XX you need the long spring #U356401670. For the newer FN202XX you would need the short spring #U356402100. MWGW looks like they have both in stock.

I would also recommend ordering a couple of the firing pin spring retainers #U356432040 while you're at it. Installing the spring runs the risk of this retainer flying off into the nether regions of your shop never to be seen again. MWGM has these, too.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate the help boss. Thanks.

The two-piece bases on the very early PBRs did not have a 20 MOA cant. If you want a new, one-piece base, MWGW has the titanium rail from the SPR-A3G for $52. That's a steal, titanium steel! (pun intended) It'll fit the PBRs. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/62558

Two feet low at 25 yards is extreme. That would suggest that something is really out of wack, so much so it would be visibly apparent. Were your scopes off of something else before? Were you able to zero and still have enough vertical adjustment to dial up to what ever range you needed?
The BC2 is the correct DMB magazine for the original PBR with CRPF. This is the same magazine FN used for all DBM rifles with four round capacities. The TBM conversion kit will drop right into your Hogue stocked PBR, no fitting required. The TBM is a worth while upgrade for $240, in my opinion.

Good luck with your project.

AG
Action Guy...thanks for all the replies and help.

I measured the two piece bases and they seem straight, but I had already ordered the factory steel 20moa base from Midwest...

The DBM mags insert and remove easier when the action or bottom metal is out of the stock, ...no matter the TBM system arrived and installed...much better. have two 5d and one 10rd....that should last me fine, don't even care about 10s

One scope I had just bought used, so it was an unknown, the other had been mounted used awhile ago on a 22LR without issue. Once I get the base in and installed, I'll hit the range with 3 or so different scopes already in rings, and swap them around and see what's up. Worse comes to worse, I sell it as a project for someone else, or it sits in the safe until I'm ready to rebarrel it.
Until then. I'll keep an eye out for a take off stock.

Wish I had the funds!
Shit man I wish I actually shot it but the AXSR is just so damn nice. I can’t justify taking it out when I can take the AI.

It was my first bolt gun too. But room has to be made in the safe for more AI barrels 😂 #FirstWorldProblems

Shit man I wish I actually shot it but the AXSR is just so damn nice. I can’t justify taking it out when I can take the AI.

It was my first bolt gun too. But room has to be made in the safe for more AI barrels 😂 #FirstWorldProblems
Great looking rig! Tempting, to be sure...

Reactions: M8541Reaper

I don’t blame you one bit! I had to move the other direction a few years back (went from an AIAT that I absolutely adored to an A5M XP that I got a killer deal on), and while I truly enjoy the SPRs, nothing beats an AI. Prices on them have gone up some, so it may be awhile yet before I can get another. So I guess it’s a good thing the SPRs are so nice lol.

Yeah, I have 3 SPRs and an AT-X. My particular AT-X is fantastically smooth (maybe it'll get even better with more use). It is certainly more appealing to run than any of my SPRs.

That being said; I have quite a few rounds through the SPR action, and have never had any hiccup of any kind (other than one particular factory DBM magazine). I actually still grab one of them more than my AT-X.

I would argue that the SPR action is still a valid design these days. Yes, it lacks an integral rail, or QC barrel feature (could you even do prefits with an extractor cut?), and the trigger is going to be too heavy these days for guys with poor fundamentals (yeah, I went there). However, it would take a pure troglodyte with simian strength and intellect to damage one, or even get it to malfunction.

Color me a fanboy stuck in 2005, I don't care. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I have 3 SPRs and an AT-X. My particular AT-X is fantastically smooth (maybe it'll get even better with more use). It is certainly more appealing to run than any of my SPRs.

That being said; I have quite a few rounds through the SPR action, and have never had any hiccup of any kind (other than one particular factory DBM magazine). I actually still grab one of them more than my AT-X.

I would argue that the SPR action is still a valid design these days. Yes, it lacks an integral rail, or QC barrel feature (could you even do prefits with an extractor cut?), and the trigger is going to be too heavy these days for guys with poor fundamentals (yeah, I went there). However, it would take a pure troglodyte with simian strength and intellect to damage one, or even get it to malfunction.

Color me a fanboy stuck in 2005, I don't care. :ROFLMAO:
Hey I'm rocking an A3G and an AW. stuck way back in the past

Accuracy on my SPR just went to shit at 7000+ rounds. I know they are supposed to go longer but I think it's time to go bartlein at LRI. I think I may have cause damage with my cleaning and possibly not getting it as dry as I thought. Lots of pits and damage.

Accuracy on my SPR just went to shit at 7000+ rounds. I know they are supposed to go longer but I think it's time to go bartlein at LRI. I think I may have cause damage with my cleaning and possibly not getting it as dry as I thought. Lots of pits and damage.

Sorry to hear that. I know that LRI does great work on SPRs, as does SAC.

A guy closer to me (Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles) does fantastic work on the SPR as well. He's done both of my rebarrels.

I'm not actually upset about it. I want to got MTU on it any way and a 1-11.25 or faster twist and get a chamber that doesn't poop out fired brass with a .349 neck. I look at it as a opportunity to upgrade. I may save my pennies a little longer and get a 400mod steel barrel.

I would definitely look at it as an upgrade. I'm looking forward to replacing the barrel to something a bit more modern. But the factory one shoots so good I can't bring myself to replace it before its shot out.