• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Another great option is Jeff Hayes @ Rivers Bend Gun Company.

Turnaround time shouldn’t be too bad, but you would need to discuss firsthand with Jeff.

picked up my third FN SPR last week. 20”A5M XP. New in box, built in 2014.
Had a McMillan HTG cut for it here at the house with all the different bottom metals. Not sure what bottom metal I will end up using.
Have to do some trigger work for sure.
Mirage was terrible, over 100* when I was in the pasture today.
I think it shows promise. 168 gr gold metal match.

Attachments

• 3CF5DA41-3300-4B4F-877F-593A5F79CAFC.jpeg
    3CF5DA41-3300-4B4F-877F-593A5F79CAFC.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 1D506FCD-AA1C-45C0-BA3B-3A9EF93DD2B2.jpeg
    1D506FCD-AA1C-45C0-BA3B-3A9EF93DD2B2.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 98
Had a McMillan HTG cut for it here at the house with all the different bottom metals. Not sure what bottom metal I will end up using.
I think it shows promise. 168 gr gold metal match.

That’s hot. You ever wanna sell that HTG, you know who to PM… ;)

I think it shows promise. 168 gr gold metal match

Think I will keep the htg for now.
Have one in a manners mcs t that I like a little better. Little higher check weld WTH the manners.

Here is the manners stock

Attachments

• 748850AF-11A7-4C53-BB43-9B005FBD0F8D.jpeg
    748850AF-11A7-4C53-BB43-9B005FBD0F8D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: moosemeat

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
20230926_121308.jpg
This has quickly become my very favorite rifle. It is insanely smooth. From sliding back & forth the bolt to actually picking up a cartridge from the AICS mag.

**edit for spelling corrections**

Last edited:
@stello1001 did you have to mill out the bottom of the receiver to feed from the AICS mags when using the chassis?

What a great piece of factory equipment they are!

@stello1001 did you have to mill out the bottom of the receiver to feed from the AICS mags when using the chassis?

What a great piece of factory equipment they are!

Absolutely not. MDT made this chassis that bolts right up to the m70. If you run their MDT mag that has the window, you don't need to open up the action. They made the magazine slightly slimmer to be able to work with this action.

If you wanna run any other mag, you won't be able to unless you open up the action. So we do have options, many say the m70 actions don't have a lot of aftermarket support, and I agree. However, they have all they need.

The only thing I had to do to the mag was tweak the mag feed lips just a tad bit. Straight from the package, it would not feed at all. This is common with CRF actions but there is a solution. I bent in the feed Lips at the front of the mag only just a little, literally almost nothing. Tried feeding it again and it's been very consistent and reliable. Super fucking smooth.

Reactions: 2rsquared
I was just curious.
I milled all of my M70’s out decades ago and have everything running on AICS mags, except for the 7wsm which runs Accurate Mags

I've had this A5 since 2013. Love everything about it. Used it at a precision rifle course that Frank & Laura taught last week at the Mifflin County Sportsman Association range (1000yd @ a 17 degree angle. Was able to place rounds on a 12x12 square plate @ 1000yds. I'll never get rid of it, but a 6.5 is in my future haha!!

FN A5 SPR.jpg

FN PBRs do not have chrome lined barrels. Hammer forged, but not chrome lined. The actions were not trued like they were on SPRs, either. Barrels were lighter in contour.

There were two different series of PBRs.

The original PBR with black Hogue stock was made in the US Repeating Arms Company plant (Winchester) in New Haven, Connecticut along side the Model 70 and FN SPR. The only came in .308 and only had a 4 round DBM magzine. The actions were the hybrid controlled round / push feed style. They did have the Winchester two lever trigger, though. Came with a one-piece base, but very early ones may have had a two-piece rail. Stocks were not bedded.

When operations moved to FN in Columbia, SC, the PBR became the PBR-XP. These have the green Hogue stocks. PBR-XPs use the CRF action of the SPR and classic Model 70 but were not trued. SPRs are always trued. PBR-XPs kept the hammer forged but non-chrome lined barrels, fluted now on XPs. Most were .308 with 4 round DBM, but a few were in .300 WSM and had a hinged floorplate magazine. Even fewer of the PBR-XP USA in .223 with an "Ultra Short Action" (USA). Smaller Hogue stock, 20" barrel, 6 round hinged floorplate magazine and a hybrid CR/PF action. Neat little guns but unremarkable in the market place. PBR-XPs also used the new Winchester three lever or "MOA" trigger found on all M-70s after the move to Columbia. PBRs were all meant to deliver at least 1.5 MOA, but most flirted easily with 1 MOA. Actions were not trued like on SPR and barrels were lighter and not chrome lined. All meant to compete price-wise with the $800 Remington M700 popular in the market at the time but with better features.

Anyone looking for a CRF build, the PBR-XP action is very good and probably very affordable. The only draw back is the trigger does not have lots of aftermarket options like the original two-lever trigger found on older M70s and FN SPR. Trued up and rebarreled with a good tube and it'll shoot with the best of them. Left in stock form, its an accurate for its light weight, all-purpose bolt gun. If you want .308 Win or .300 WSM.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your rifle when you get it.

AG
I know this is an old thread but what can you tell me about my Model 70 Stealth in .308 it has the MOA trigger made in Utah? It dropped into the FN inlet McMillan A4 perfectly. I’m going to rebarrel it with a Schneider M40 barrel and use a Bisely Match chamber(Dave at PTG recommended it). What are the must do’s to the action for a competitive F T/R rifle. True it, lap the lugs, bush the firing pin, double sleeve the bolt? And any recommendations on a custom gunsmith for this action? Thanks

Had my FN thread and installed an APA little bastard brake. Still running the DMR ii it has been flawless. Took the rifle to the Leupold relentless nrl hunter shoot. It performed very well. I had considered selling the rifle to build a custom 308 but this rifle continues to impress me.
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0516.jpeg

Had my FN thread and installed an APA little bastard brake. Still running the DMR ii it has been flawless. Took the rifle to the Leupold relentless nrl hunter shoot. It performed very well. I had considered selling the rifle to build a custom 308 but this rifle continues to impress me.
View attachment 8243804View attachment 8243805

You know what you gotta do whenever the time comes, just lemme know... 😏

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
Let's get some more FN SPR rifles in this thread!!!
Late to the party and not a SPR exactly but it’s a Model 70 .308 controlled round feed made in Utah with all FN goodies. A Timney MOA trigger 1.5 lbs, a OPS Inc muzzle brake, 8-32x Nightforce Benchrest. It’s getting a the Schneider M40 barrel I bought 10yrs ago one of these days but it still shoots so well still. The match book group was shot at a little over 400yrds 420-430 in really crappy field conditions lots of wind gusts and shooting off a backpack. The cheese ball 3 shot at 200yrds was so tight I just stopped and grabbed it. I feel the gun is a pretty consistent 1/2-5/8 MOA gun with 44grs VV N540 with a 168gr Hornady match bullet, CCI large rifle match primer only with Lapua brass. Any other brass the groups open up to 3/4-1” I did all my proofing at 200yrds with 10-shot groups. I did shoot some single hole 100yrd 3 shot and semi-ragged 5 shot groups using H380 and Berger 150gr flat base but I was after a 600yrds F-class rig it’s kinda fun to chase around that short range benchrest stuff. When friends have had broken REM 700’s over the years it’s gone hunting and head shot a couple deer too. I can see why the pre-64 action is the dangerous game choice simple and rugged it always works.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5560.png
    IMG_5560.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 62
That was probably pretty hard to find wasn't it? They didn't make many of these right?

Idk and maybe I'm wrong but I think they made less of the chassis than they did of the mag. Either way, neither were hard to find. I just went to their website and placed my order.

Don't know if you are able to do the same today.

Idk and maybe I'm wrong but I think they made less of the chassis than they did of the mag. Either way, neither were hard to find. I just went to their website and placed my order.

Don't know if you are able to do the same today.
Oh so you actually bought the chassis when they were making them? I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore. Finding one used is probably like a needle in a haystack.

Oh so you actually bought the chassis when they were making them? I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore. Finding one used is probably like a needle in a haystack.

I mean, Idk why people wait to buy stuff. We've been saying here on this thread for the longest time that this chassis/mag combo works. Then, they announced the chassis is discontinued. However, for a good while after the discontinuation announcement, they are still selling it because I'm guessing it's old stock. Sooooo....

Yeah idk what to say... 😂

I mean, Idk why people wait to buy stuff. We've been saying here on this thread for the longest time that this chassis/mag combo works. Then, they announced the chassis is discontinued. However, for a good while after the discontinuation announcement, they are still selling it because I'm guessing it's old stock. Sooooo....

Yeah idk what to say... 😂
What lol? I knew they made them a little while back but wasn't shooting chassis much yet. Used one on a different match gun all this year and liked it. Just thought it might be nice to switch over if I could find one. My m70 is in a mcmillan but the action is cut for aics, it's been feeding 100% for years. Are you saying they still have old stock at MDT?

What lol? I knew they made them a little while back but wasn't shooting chassis much yet. Used one on a different match gun all this year and liked it. Just thought it might be nice to switch over if I could find one. My m70 is in a mcmillan but the action is cut for aics, it's been feeding 100% for years. Are you saying they still have old stock at MDT?

I'm saying they still have new old inventory for a while even after they said it was discontinued. I don't know if that's still the case. I would give them a call. They probably have some and it's not even listed on the website.

And since you're already cut for AICS mags, you can run any AI mag.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
I know this is an old thread but what can you tell me about my Model 70 Stealth in .308 it has the MOA trigger made in Utah? It dropped into the FN inlet McMillan A4 perfectly. I’m going to rebarrel it with a Schneider M40 barrel and use a Bisely Match chamber(Dave at PTG recommended it). What are the must do’s to the action for a competitive F T/R rifle. True it, lap the lugs, bush the firing pin, double sleeve the bolt? And any recommendations on a custom gunsmith for this action? Thanks
The Winchester Model 70 Stealth is similar to an FN SPR in that they are meant to be "precision" rifles. The M70s lack the chrome lined barrel and accuracy enhancements such as lapped lugs and trued receiver of the FN SPRs. The MOA trigger is also different from the FN rifles although FN made the MOA trigger rifles from the start in Columbia, SC. Model 70s were never made in Utah. Except for the Browning Buckmark line, no Browning or Winchester is made in Utah. Model 70s are now made in Portugal along side the Browning BARs, Winchester SX4s and similar firearms.

I can also recommend Moon at Cresent Customs and Mark at Short Action Customs. They do excellent work on SPRs and Model 70s. I'm sure there are more, but I know these guys from first hand experience.

I am pretty sure that MDT no longer inlets for the SPR/M70 action. Pitty because they have a lot of good chassis that would really make an SPR shine. They must not see the demand to do so. After all, we SPR Enthusiasts are about extinct.

Does the action have to be machined to work in the chassis? I remember with my CDI there was a simple cut or relief that had to be made.

Does the action have to be machined to work in the chassis? I remember with my CDI there was a simple cut or relief that had to be made.

If we are still talking about the chassis my rifle is in, then no.

The action is untouched. I just bolted her up to the chassis and she's good to go. Feeds amazing too...

If we are still talking about the chassis my rifle is in, then no.

The action is untouched. I just bolted her up to the chassis and she's good to go. Feeds amazing too...
Do you happen to have the model number to the MDT mag that works with the model 70?
Is it the poly-mag with the metal feed lips?

Last edited:
I have an SPR A5M XP. I replaced the factory fluted and chrome lined barrel with a 20” Proof CF Sendero to shave a little weight and added a APA Little Bastard brake. I’ve also added a Timney trigger because I didn’t want to modify the factory trigger in case I sold the rifle. Curiously, the rifle came with an out-of-spec picatinny scope rail. The rail had taper to the rear and the rear ring wouldn’t tighten on the rail without bottoming out. I tried 3 sets, Nightforce, Seekins, Badger. I replaced the rail with one made by Precision Armament and life was good. Other than having the world’s heaviest bottom metal (the proprietary detachable mag bottom metal is steel), everything runs very well and the rifle shoots superbly. I shot my first 2-day long range class with this rifle and was very impressed for a factory rifle.

I added a SKD Tactical Pig stock pack/cheek pad on top of the adjustable stock and it’s one of the most comfortable rifles to shoot that I own.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the traditional “sniper rifles” with heavy barrels and McMillan stocks, and this certainly scratches that itch.

I have an SPR A5M XP. I replaced the factory fluted and chrome lined barrel with a 20” Proof CF Sendero to shave a little weight and added a APA Little Bastard brake. I’ve also added a Timney trigger because I didn’t want to modify the factory trigger in case I sold the rifle. Curiously, the rifle came with an out-of-spec picatinny scope rail. The rail had taper to the rear and the rear ring wouldn’t tighten on the rail without bottoming out. I tried 3 sets, Nightforce, Seekins, Badger. I replaced the rail with one made by Precision Armament and life was good. Other than having the world’s heaviest bottom metal (the proprietary detachable mag bottom metal is steel), everything runs very well and the rifle shoots superbly. I shot my first 2-day long range class with this rifle and was very impressed for a factory rifle.

I added a SKD Tactical Pig stock pack/cheek pad on top of the adjustable stock and it’s one of the most comfortable rifles to shoot that I own.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the traditional “sniper rifles” with heavy barrels and McMillan stocks, and this certainly scratches that itch.
Awesome, how do you like the Timney? Did the rifle originally come with an MOA trigger or was the older Winchester style?

Awesome, how do you like the Timney? Did the rifle originally come with an MOA trigger or was the older Winchester style?
The Timney is nice. It is the older 2 lever Winchester-style. There was some adjustment for pull weight in the factory trigger, but once I got it down to where I wanted it, the gun wasn’t safe. The firing pin would drop when I bumped the rifle butt on the ground. Rather than modify the factory trigger, I just replaced it with the Timney. The geometry of the Timney helps with creep also. This can be removed by modifying the factory trigger faces, but I didn’t want to do that in case I ever sold the gun.

The Mcarbo trigger spring has been a great upgrade for my fn trigger. I have the factory one set pretty light and if you bumped the buttstock on the ground it would go off. After I installed the Mcarbo spring I have had zero issues and the trigger is set 1 3/4-2 pounds. Definitely recommend if you want to mod the trigger.

I may have to look into the Mcarbo spring. If nothing, just for replacements as the rifles get used more.

I polished my triggers and adjusted the pull weight on all of them. One (my A2) is safe, and surprisingly consistent at 2lb, 4oz. The other two would still release from a knee-high drop onto the buttpad on concrete until I had them adjusted back up to right at 3lb. Since I use those two for hunting and varmint control, I'm okay with a 3lb trigger. If I competed, not so much.

You aren’t wrong at all.

I’ve since moved on to the world of AIs
The only company I’ve seen that hates/hated their customers more than FN was Colt.

You think logistics for the SPR are bad, try owning a couple FNARs too, lol.

Then there are the Colt LE-901, Ar-901, and CM762 rifles. Also great rifles that had a short shelf life.