• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Are these damaged baffles? SF-SOCOM762 on a Seekins 300 Blackout 16" barrel

GAP308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
TEXAS
I purchased a 300 Blackout from Seekins and never really paid attention to fine details like examining the threading of the barrel. I had a gunsmith who used to work for Springfield Armory put the SF brake and shims on. In my mind if it is threaded properly there should be no issues with the brake lining up (correct me if I am wrong). I tried to sighting in the Seekins 300 Blackout this weekend and the rifle with the suppressor attached was shooting 8" to 2' groups at 50yds. I swear I saw one of the bullets in the air like a tracer which means moving slow and doing and end over b/c it was not in a straight line. I was watching through binoculars and my brother-in-law was shooting. but for those type of groups they were all screwballs or curveballs...

I removed the suppressor and shot a 2" group at 50yds. (was not going for precision at this point... just trying to get the dang thing on paper in a group that could be identified.) I use this exact same suppressor on my .308 and shoot lights out. My main concern is damaged baffles in the suppressor from the Seekins b/c this to me would seem to be the most costly and timely fix.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Edited to note: All pics taken w/ iPhone and can be clicked in to see a large image and great detail to identify what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Here are pics to help evaluate.

taqada5u.jpg

8azumu7a.jpg

ytyhage4.jpg

ubuvemyn.jpg

2upu7asu.jpg

ujeze6y9.jpg

ebubehat.jpg

nedu2egu.jpg

I have not put the can back on the the .308 to test POA and POI to notice any shift yet.

More images

be5yhyma.jpg

gy7yruta.jpg

puhymeze.jpg

avuqutyd.jpg

It's hard to say, at least for me. You should send those pictures to the manufacturer of the can and ask them. They can tell you. My SDN-6 has the baffles setup where they kinda look damaged out of the box, but they obviously aren't.

I don't see how you could have a baffle strike and it not either be worse and more visible, and/or cause an endcap strike as well, which would be much more noticeable. But I could be wrong.

The Baffling does look a little wierd but the end cap looks fine. If that is a crush washer behind your muzzle device that might be the problem. I Know on my AAC muzzle break it says not to use crush washers but to use the shiims. Crush washers can cause misalignment.

I don't like the looks of the baffles or the installation of the break. It looks like a washer at the barrel shoulder, plus the shims. In the first picture, it appears the washer does not have full contact with the shoulder at the left side, that's not good. I always check suppressor alignment with a range rod bushed to the barrel.

I agree with the check the mount installation first crowd.
The edges on the baffles look too nice for a strike and the endcap is intact.

I don't like the looks of the baffles or the installation of the break. It looks like a washer at the barrel shoulder, plus the shims. In the first picture, it appears the washer does not have full contact with the shoulder at the left side, that's not good. I always check suppressor alignment with a range rod bushed to the barrel.

I agree on the install of the muzzle break. A .001 here and a .001 there adds up to misalignment. Plus who knows how good the thread fit is. I like my threads to be fairly tight for any muzzle device for a concentric fit.

If that's a crush washer it should not be there, and yes that's a baffle strike. Call Surefire and see if they can repair the can.

Sorry man that sucks

Last edited:
Surefire has installation notes that specifically voids the warranty if the mount is not installed properly. Crush washers are a no-go -- Surefire shims only.

That being said, I do recall a thick shim being included with the surefire shim pack. Are you certain it is a crush washer?

It will likely not affect the function of the can unless something is hanging out into the path of the bullet. Of course the squareness of the can to the bore needs to be corrected. Give surefire a call.

If all the washers are surefire, then the likely culprit is the threading not being square to the bore.

Last edited:
I gave all the shims that SF sends with the SOCOM 762 brake to the gunsmith. I have two brakes in my possession (SOCOM 556) and the shim used at the bottom (the big guy) is bigger than all the shims that come with the brake for the SOCOM 556. I don't "think" he used a spare part he had, but I am not for sure. I agree it looks lopsided and fingers crossed this all works out! Thank y'all for the responses.

With a crush washer you are relying on the threads to hold the brake centered and if the washer is a little bit cooked then the threads cant hold the brake strait. It needs to mou d up to a tight square shoulder. If your buddy is a humanity he should have known this.
im guessing the brakes slightly cocked causing the can to be crooked.
I highly doubt that Seekins botched a muzzle threading job knowing how critical the tolerance is.
try removing the crush and shim washer and tighten the brake up to the shoulder on the barrel , then AFTER checking the alignment with a cleaning rod shoot it again.
if this solves the problem then send your barrel to a COMPETENT gunsmith and have him time the brake properly.

Looking at the pictures it isn't easy to see what or why the baffles had a minor strike. We would be more than happy to look at the upper and suppressor for you. It only takes a couple of days for us to get it in and out of QC. If you want to go that route just call our CS and they will get you a RMA.

Garin Lee
Surefire suppressor division

A crush washer was not used.

Thank you Kudu22. I will send you a PM to discuss details of getting it to QC.

Chas

Hey GAP308 I have the conclusion as to what has happened and what we are doing to fix it. Your barrels had a extremely long and fairly deep under cut in the thread relief on a .700 dia barrel. Normal diameter is .750 so the spacer was dropping into the undercut and would not stay centered with torque is applied to the adapter. Your adapters were canted because the back of them were not making contact completely around the spacer. Your suppressor did have baffle strikes because the adapter was not center to the bore. That was the bad news. The good news is we are making to 2 custom stainless steel spacers so it matches your barrel color and that will make a larger shoulder for the adapters to index against correctly. The other thing is we are replacing the baffle core for you. After this is done you will be back in business.

Last edited:
Hey GAP308 I have the conclusion as to what has happened and what we are doing to fix it. Your barrels had a extremely long and fairly deep under cut in the thread relief on a .700 dia barrel. Normal diameter is .750 so the spacer was dropping into the undercut and would not stay centered with torque is applied to the adapter. Your adapters were canted because the back of them were not making contact completely around the spacer. Your suppressor did have baffle strikes because the adapter was not center to the bore. That was the bad news. The good news is we are making to 2 custom stainless steel spacers so it matches your barrel color and that will make a larger shoulder for the adapters to index against correctly. The other thing is we are replacing the baffle core for you. After this is done you will be back in business.

That's some awesome CS right there. Can't wait to get my SF cans out of jail.

Garin, any recommendations for others to prevent this?

Does surefire have a preferred method for checking alignment? I usually just look down the bore end and eye ball it, but some rifles (M25, 18.5" barrel using a gemtech thread adapter) that isn't possible.

Geissle Automatics makes a kick ass suppressor alignment gauge rod. Part number is 10-260 REV4 (7.62) and 10-259 Rev4 (5.56). They are around 16" long and are precision ground so you can easily see the rod extending from the suppressor and know exactly if you are good or might have issues.

I'm going to be honest here. The customer service that Garin @ Surefire (Kudu22) and the company in general have shown me has been incredible!! I was recently debating on a TBAC or another SF for a build. Long story short I purchased 2 more cans from SF b/c I know if I ever have a problem it will be taken care of. I can't thank you enough Garin and thanks to SureFire for fixing a mistake that was not caused by their products.

Glad you got that taken care of GAP. This is a prime example of how the best in the business stays the best in the business. I own a Surefire can, and if I had plenty of cash I'd buy more. Surefire products and people rock! Wish I could work for them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 in my garage while grooming my Colt 6940 with Surefire 556-212 attached.

Last edited: